Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM

43 posts, read 102,624 times

Advertisements

I am on the brink of being offered a position with offices in westminster and golden. My son needs to finish high school so I will commute back and forth. I will probably get an apartment for the first year and then we will look at a house. We would like a house large enough for visitors and my children's guests. We have pets and need a yard. My husband would like a lot large enough for a small building for his hobby. Where exactly should we look? I don't want to be isolated too far out in the foothills as we are foodies and want to enjoy the great restaurants and nightlife in the area. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM

Default wow no responses

Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Maybe western Arvada? It would help to know your budget for housing. Beware though that large lots aren't typical in the Denver area. And getting a large lot and the ability to build a workshop on the property (that is, no HOA forbidding it) might push you into some very expensive foothill areas.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:53 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,699 times
You'll be in Westminster or Golden. Where will hubby's job be? How much are you looking to spend? Do you prefer a newer home, older home? How far do you want to have to commute? A lot more info is needed for anyone here to help you.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 PM

My husband owns his own business and will initially work from home until we ramp up here. We don't want to spend more than 700 to 750. I would prefer not to have to commute so much but hubby wants his other second hobby business to be on property. We back to a green space now in the suburbs and really like that. I would like to be near trails. I am tired very tired of remodeling hell. How is that texaco

Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 PM

123 posts, read 524,836 times
Not quite sure I understand the question, you'll have to work in both Westminster & Golden? If thats what you're saying then western Arvada would probably be a good choice. There are quite a few houses with large (horse) lots along Indiana St. Can't really comment on apartments in the area.

Just a heads up. Getting from Westminster to Golden can be a real pain in the arse. There's not a real good "highway" between the two. You'll usually end up on Indiana or hw 93, and both can be a nightmare in the winter. The winds along 93 can be really bad, and during the winter you'll end up with blizzard conditions. I've seen this happen on sunny days just from the snow on the ground blowing across the highway. This is also the main route from Golden to Boulder so you'll get a good bit of traffic.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
You should have no trouble finding a nice home in your price range. There are many houses that back to open space, like you have now. I agree with the western Arvada suggestion, also agree that the drive from Westy (as it is affectionately called) to Golden can be a bear.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
Foodie with some city like convenience. Golden or Arvada (near the core) would be my first picks.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM

Default thank you for your info. Arvada/Golden trails

Yeah it seems long to me too but I suspecting I may be supporting both offices. Many of my colleagues actually live in Evergreen which seems like to much of a haul for me. So we will see. I hate to spend my life in a car. Where are restaurants on the Westside? (Not chains....) What is the trail system like in Arvada?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphles View Post
Yeah it seems long to me too but I suspecting I may be supporting both offices. Many of my colleagues actually live in Evergreen which seems like to much of a haul for me. So we will see. I hate to spend my life in a car. Where are restaurants on the Westside? (Not chains....) What is the trail system like in Arvada?
The Trail systems in Arvada are astounding. Here is a little video City and Community of Arvada: Trails

and the complete map of trails

http://www.arvadarecords.org/maps/cu.../Trail_Map.pdf

and a complete map of the parks and open space

http://www.arvadarecords.org/maps/cu...Open_Space.pdf

Well, what can I say... I lived in Arvada for about 27 years of my over 30 years in Colorado and the park, trails, are just great. The connect with other trails in Golden, Wheat Ridge, and Lakewood and Denver.

You can easily find a house in Arvada to suite your needs. I have been reading this thread and commuting to Golden is not difficult--you do not have to take the highway, you can take McIntyre from West Arvada and you do not have to go down HWY 93 which has been mentioned as windy but Indiana from Arvada to Golden is not continuous from all areas of Arvada and is not known for wind, only areas north from Arvada and east of the Old Rocky Flats plant. You can also go down Ward to West 44th--or right on the highway to Hwy, 58th.

Going to Westminster is very easy and accessible by Wadsworth or Sheridan or many numerous side roads in the area. Of course, Westminster is very spread out and their are much farther areas north.

Let me add the Westminster trails http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/246.htm (broken link)

http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/files/trail_map_web1.pdf (broken link)

Impressive, is it not??? The great thing is that after work you can get outdoors for some great experiences, without a longer trip to the mountains.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-10-2009 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver