U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,433,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Stucco doesn't hold up? Then how do you account for all the old (over 100 years) stucco homes in Denver w/original stucco? Stucco does just fine here. I'm sure it does fine anywhere, but it's just more common in the Southwest.
Dunno.. May have been my realtor or someone else that told me the stucco doesn't hold up with the moisture(granted its a fairly dry climate at times, but snow along the base of a stuccoed wall and such). I prefer stucco over siding, i've just never seen stucco houses in Denver(or other midwest and rocky mtn cities) in my searching. Could be because I've searched newer neighborhoods, I dunno. In the Denver area, never saw any stucco in Parker, Littleton, HR, etc where we looked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,234,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Dunno.. May have been my realtor or someone else that told me the stucco doesn't hold up with the moisture(granted its a fairly dry climate at times, but snow along the base of a stuccoed wall and such). I prefer stucco over siding, i've just never seen stucco houses in Denver(or other midwest and rocky mtn cities) in my searching. Could be because I've searched newer neighborhoods, I dunno. In the Denver area, never saw any stucco in Parker, Littleton, HR, etc where we looked.
I see stucco all over. There are plenty of stucco houses in the Stapleton neighborhood (new construction) and I see old stucco houses in Park Hill.

If moisture ruined stucco, how could you explain all the Spanish architecture in Miami w/stucco? Sounds like an agent who was either trying to steer you toward something he/she had in mind, or one who didn't know what they were talking about. Look around - stucco is everywhere in Denver.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Never been to Miami so I couldn't tell you. I've mainly seen it in southwestern states. Not denying it exists, so don't get all uppity about it.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,683,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Wow, that's uncanny! Yes, the area resembles much of older MV, Ca. And it's a trip that there's an Alicia and Marguerite there as well. I agree, just a little greener and it'd be here!

The OC thread features much of the newer areas of MV, and the spanish-style homes with red tile roofs. But there are plenty that look like these pics too.

Thanks for the tour!

I'd love to find a tour like that of Centennial or HR (anyone know of a good thread?).
In terms of eastern Centennial, I have two tours:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hill-tour.html, a 1980's era neighborhood.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html, part of which covers streets and neighborhoods in eastern Centennial.

For western Centennial,
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html in part covers the area around the Southglenn mall,
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html, part of this covers Highlands Ranch as seen from C-470.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:29 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,683,196 times
Quote:
As denverian said, old neighborhoods in Denver-- West Washington Park for example, have a sprinkling of old California style stucco and pink tile roof homes here and there. Also that style of home is becoming more and more popular in Denver in custom built homes in places like Cherry Creek North and Hilltop. Check out two of my photo tours for good examples of what it looks like:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post5232861
Cherry Creek North: Shopping & Neighborhood -- PHOTO TOUR-- in the second half of the tour where I go through the residential neighborhood.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,701,250 times
Thanks Vegas for taking and posting these pics! I really love the look of Centennial, and since we're looking in the $150K range for a 3+ bedroom townhome, I'm really thinking this is the place for us. I love the open air mall too. Very pretty. That construction is similar to a new area here called Ladera Ranch. These threads were very helpful!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,701,250 times
One more question... What would commute times be from this area (80016) to the Tech Center? To downtown? Of course, I'm only interested in rush hour. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
As denverian said, old neighborhoods in Denver-- West Washington Park for example, have a sprinkling of old California style stucco and pink tile roof homes here and there. Also that style of home is becoming more and more popular in Denver in custom built homes in places like Cherry Creek North and Hilltop. Check out two of my photo tours for good examples of what it looks like:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post5232861
Cherry Creek North: Shopping & Neighborhood -- PHOTO TOUR-- in the second half of the tour where I go through the residential neighborhood.
Considering Colorado's Spanish history, why would Spanish style homes be a shock to people?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Never been to Miami so I couldn't tell you. I've mainly seen it in southwestern states. Not denying it exists, so don't get all uppity about it.
I wasn't trying to be uppity about it - I had someone once tell me that there's no stucco in Denver because it would crack and fall off due to the cold temperatures in winter, so I was just shocked that someone who lived in Denver could drive around and never notice all the stucco homes and buildings - or even believe such a thing.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM

I don't live there(yet).. Been there a halfdozen times researching my moves, but my travels haven't taken me into areas with stucco(can't afford custom built and no desire for urban settings, so maybe thats why with ares like cherry creek, wash park, and stapleton being mentioned as having stucco) combined with whatever I was told about it previously by realtor/whoever it was. Honest mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or