U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:00 AM

540 posts, read 256,023 times

Advertisements

this fall look at what is bad about the old fan. May be just be delayed maintenance. If the motor is bad it can be rebuilt and or if the bearings are bad there is generally an id # on the side of the bearing. again there are shops that just sell bearings.

Seems I found a heating cooling fabrication sheet metal shop in N Denver ~about 43th & Thompson Ct

Hercules Industries SW Denver may be a good vendor for a new fan or evaportive cooler. They can be expensive tho.

Last summer we moved into a mid century house with a existing old style evaportive cooler on the roof. Standard installation and vents into the central core of the house. In each bedroom, and in the Living room Kitchen area each room i am just now putting a small ceiling vent into the attic. The vents have a flap letting air one direction up into the attic. The flap can be secured for the winter.
The existing cooler pressurizes the house and for the rooms we are planning to use we leave the flap enabled. The air flows from the cooler to the rooms(s) in use than into the hot attic and out a roof vent(s).

Evaportive cooler design has not changed. Notice the standard cooler water pumps have a port on them you can cut open and put a 1/4" hose on. Than each time the pump turns on a small amount of water can be wasted. I simply ran a short hose from the pump port to the cooler over fill hose. Ran the 3/4" over fill hose to a gutter. Keeps the cooler recirculated water more fresh odor bacteria free. There are "modern" designed coolers with more expensive rigid cooler pads that say they are good for 3+ years. Look at their specifications, they run off a LOT of wast water. You only need to wast a fraction of that amount and get standard aspen or green paper replaceable cooler pads every year. HomeDepot, in the lawn irrigation section, has small in line 1/4" plastic valves, use this to regulate the amount of wast water. i try to keep the wast water amount such that it mostly evpaorates in the gutter and dosnt collect on the ground.

any way some ideas, current xcel bill = $70 for 2K ft-sq

Last edited by daprara; 07-02-2018 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 10:19 AM

8,160 posts, read 2,855,344 times
What I'd like to find is a more efficient pump for my (new) evaporative cooler. The motor draws about 400/800 watts on low and high, but the pump draws another 100-110 watts, which seems absurd to me. It looks like one of those niches of technology where it's cheaper and easier to use an antique design, but a more modern motor and pump design could draw half to one-third the power.

Anyone know of a more efficient cooler pump?

Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 AM

540 posts, read 256,023 times
i run my cooler in the evening, never run it on high.

~100W is not bad? about the same as the old incandescent light bulbs. I saw some old guy buy half a dozen incandescent bulbs at homeDepot yesterday.

The cooler pumps are mass produced, may sit in a warehouse for a few years and finally re packaged for local sale. Not much is know abut their efficiency or quality.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 AM

8,160 posts, read 2,855,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
i run my cooler in the evening, never run it on high.
I am home all day and run the cooler when it's needed, all efficient use of night-time cool air and so forth included. I can't get any work done when the house is 80 and didn't install the cooler as an emergency device.

Quote:
~100W is not bad? about the same as the old incandescent light bulbs.
All of which I got rid of the week I bought the house (including far too many halogen fixtures!) That the pump "only" draws as much as ten to fifteen modern light bulbs is not really acceptable.

Quote:
The cooler pumps are mass produced, may sit in a warehouse for a few years and finally re packaged for local sale. Not much is know abut their efficiency or quality.
...until someone with a systems design background plugs one into a wattmeter. Which I am, and did. As I said, it's a piece of tech dating back to the 1960s, charitably speaking, and obviously far cheaper to keep churning out, efficiency and power cost be damned, even for "better" coolers. I know for a fact that there are motors and pumps with much higher efficiency, even in frivolous use like decorative water fountains.

Looking for a lower-power pump now, even if I have to physically adapt it a little. It's certainly not a complex system.

EDIT: Just glanced at some (cheap) submersible pond pumps in the same GPH range, and they run .25-.50 amps, not the .90 or more of cooler pumps. So I'm betting I can cut that 100 watts to 35 or less, with very little effort.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:45 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,815,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
Anyone just replaced their fan and have any tips on what to watch out for? I can't believe it to be that difficult but the whole house fan guys make it sound impossible to replace just the fan.
The motor on my whole house fan burned up after 2 years and had to be replaced. I ordered the replacement online and it was about an hour to swap out. If your model is too old for an easy fix, then check out replacing the entire fan. They're available online or at a large home supply store for $300-400. You have to have decent construction skills, but nothing elaborate to install.

btw, you want a belt drive model.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:21 PM

2,561 posts, read 1,810,035 times
Quietude, re: finding more efficient pumps and fans: check out Breezair.com
This evap cooler mfr. makes the best units money can buy. I believe they're made in Australia, so they're not inexpensive. The high end model uses ultra efficient electric fan motors. The water pump probably uses little juice as well. Unfort they are all downdraft, so can't install on an outside wall of the house--only the roof.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:21 PM

369 posts, read 151,318 times
Anyone else do this?
I pull cool air out of my crawl space with a squirrel cage fan. Temp. Is 68 degrees. No other cooling.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 AM

86,894 posts, read 102,341,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
These quiet ones must be a big improvement over the older models. We call ours "the train". We've been in our house 21 years, and the fan was here when we bought it, so it's at least that old. You have to turn up the TV when it's on. Even a few years ago, DH inquired about the noise levels of the new ones at Home Depot, and was told, yes, they're noisy.

Anyway, we're looking at a swamp cooler now. Our house does get hot during the day, especially if we're home and coming/going a lot. The second story bedrooms don't always cool off well, even with "the train", ceiling fans, etc.
It was interesting to read back through this thread. We did not get a swamp cooler. Our next door neighbor installed one and it got full of mold and had to be dismantled. We ended up getting central air. Some summers we use it a lot, others not so much. We keep it set at 77, warmer than many people do, I know. When it gets cooler outside than inside, we turn it off. This summer we have run it all night a few times because it's >77 outside when we go to bed. We then usually turn it off in the morning until the house heats up again.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:06 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,905,633 times
To those who complain about the noise coming from a whole house fan, the solution is to get one big enough to move substantial amounts of air at low speed. This is the unit I have; it has a 36 inch blade so it is mounted above the joists. At low speed it sucks 7100 cf/m and at high speed it moves 10,600 cf/m.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...le-House-1LXN8

The smaller fans have to run too fast to move enough air. That's why they are so noisy.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:12 AM

20,848 posts, read 39,075,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Anyone else do this?
I pull cool air out of my crawl space with a squirrel cage fan. Temp. Is 68 degrees. No other cooling.
Clever solution. My only worry would be if there's radon gas in the crawl space. It's easy to check on that; we have a current thread with good recommendations for service firms to measure the gas.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver