Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I just sickens me when people are wasteful in any sense (don't take that as an accusation against you - I don't know you). It's everywhere in this country - we use over 25% of the world's energy. I've known people who set the thermostat to 70 and just leave it like for 4 straight months regardless of whether they're home, asleep, or if it's a similar temperature outside. If you visit older areas Denver like Capitol Hill you'll find very, very apartments have air conditioning (at least many homes without AC have basements). I was just trying to point out that it is very easy to get through Colorado summers with air conditioning - many do.
Really, this thread is about "Whole House Fan vs. Air Conditioning". It is not about the environmental consequences of energy use, etc. Most people here are very judicious with their A/C, at least among the people I know. I do not know anyone who does the above. I have worked as a visiting nurse and I have been in some of these old houses in the summertime. They're hot.

Swamp coolers work well, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM

968 posts, read 1,039,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really, this thread is about "Whole House Fan vs. Air Conditioning". It is not about the environmental consequences of energy use, etc. Most people here are very judicious with their A/C, at least among the people I know. I do not know anyone who does the above. I have worked as a visiting nurse and I have been in some of these old houses in the summertime. They're hot.

Swamp coolers work well, too.
If this thread is about "Whole House Fan vs. Air Conditioning" why is it you can suggest an alternative (swamp cooler) and I can't (none of them)?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
If this thread is about "Whole House Fan vs. Air Conditioning" why is it you can suggest an alternative (swamp cooler) and I can't (none of them)?
If you had simply suggested "none of the above", without the lecture, it would have been fine.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you had simply suggested "none of the above", without the lecture, it would have been fine.
I can't provide a reason (albeit an impassioned one) for why I think "none of the above" is better?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
About the double paned windows, I think they are more useful keeping heat in in winter as the difference between outside and inside is like 50F-60F. In summer, the deltas are maybe 10F-20F. And they don't do much for radiated heat. And it is risky to put darkening window film on them.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:18 PM

I think saving money, reducing pollution, and abating the greenhouse effect should absolutely be considerations when someone makes decisions about his or her energy use, and I'm going to bring them up in any discussion related to energy use.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I think saving money, reducing pollution, and abating the greenhouse effect should absolutely be considerations when someone makes decisions about his or her energy use, and I'm going to bring them up in any discussion related to energy use.
Quote:
I can't provide a reason (albeit an impassioned one) for why I think "none of the above" is better?
The above are all valid concerns. However, a lecture about being "sickened" by people you know who leave the thermostat at 70 every day for 4 months, blah, blah, is unnecessary. The purpose of these forums, as I see it, is to help people with answers to their questions, not go on a crusade. There are political and environmental forums on CD for that type of thing.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:00 PM

123 posts, read 524,884 times
If you or anyone in your family have allergies forget it. They pull all the pollen & crap from the outside into the house.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
With all due respect, the heat wave last summer was triple-digit for 21 days straight. We're not talking about a bit of discomfort; we're talking about life-threatening heat.
"Life threatening"? Has this forum been turned into City-Stand-up-comedy-Data? Temperatures in the dry upper 90s and low 100s as long as you're out of the direct sun and hydrated, is not even close to "life threatening." Maybe uncomfortable, not "life threatening" unless if you are extremely ill or elderly to begin with. You don't even know what extreme heat is until you've lived in a place like Phoenix, which frequently gets temperatures in the 110s and can cool down to an overnight low of 90 degrees.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Does anyone have opinions on the swamp coolers. My sister is thinking about one and I am from the southeast where the glory of AC is that it pulls out humidity. That's not the problem in the west so I was wondering the benefit of the swamp cooler vs air conditioning. Does it mist or something to reduce the perception of heat?

BTW- we hit the 100s almost every week from the end of June until through August and sometimes into September. Do that with outrgeous humidity and then tell me 90 is bad. (Hence my father moving from SC to live with said sister.)

Thanks for any explanations- I'm usually the building/construction question in the family but this one was foreign to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver