U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM

261 posts, read 622,456 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved from Denver down to South Florida. One of the things I will really miss is being able to cool the house at night with a whole house fan. We had one installed a few years ago that had two speeds. It got so cold some nights that we had to turn it off! If you are still hot on the hottest days, try using one or two small room sized evaporative coolers in addition to the fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM

13 posts, read 19,553 times
Default curious future CO resident

hi all...FormerCalifornian...would you mind if i ask what the whole house fan cost? when we move to san luis, we'd like to go as green as possible and it sounds like a good idea(probably won't really need it much out there, from what i hear/read). and i HATE A/C lol...having grown up mostly in the south (FL, LA(that's Louisiana y'all),NC & now TN) A/C is pretty much a neccesity...less in TN than anywhere else i've lived...but i can't stand havin all the windows shut up and such YUCK!
thanks for any info

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,766,968 times
AppGal...I responded with the specifics via PM.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:07 PM

In light of a second request for information and reassurance that it is not considered advertising, the fan we ended up choosing is a Quiet Giant 4500. In addition to the fan, we also had quite a few additional soffit vents, plus two roof vents to exhaust the heat that builds up in the attic over the course of the day. The combination of extra ventilation along with the whole house fan has easily reduced the temperature in our house in the early evening by 10 or more degrees.

As night approaches and the outdoor temps drop into the 70's, we open the upstairs windows and set the fan to high for about two hours. If the house needs additional cooling, we can set the fan to run for up to 12 hours. On low, the noise is negligible. Our bathroom fans are louder. On high, the fan is more noticeable, but not bothersome unless I'm standing directly beneath it.

One the things I really appreciate about this fan is the small size of the intake grill. All of the fan grills I'd seen up to this point were huge, ugly, and louvered. They also rattled horribly when the fan was in operation.

Installation was minimally disruptive. The crew arrived at 9:00 and were packed up and ready to leave by noon, even with all the additional ventilation work we had done.

I'll refrain from revealing our contractor's name, but if you're in the market, shoot me a PM, and I'll give you a referral.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 AM

299 posts, read 630,434 times
Default any thoughts on: a whole house fan ?

Hello all -

Quick background: we are fairly new to Denver and recently moved into a new house. Well, it's hot in our bedrooms and the ventilation isn't that great. We have plenty of widows, but without a breeze it's hot, still air. We're not much for air conditioning (it's great, but I don't think we need that much cooling) and a swamp cooler may not be necessary. I am looking into whole house fans which seem to be a great choice for Denver because it generally cools at off night.

Last night it was 65 out and 80 in our bedroom at one point! One problem is that we have a finished attic, so we can't just pop in a traditional whole house fan. Well, there are two crawlspace size attic sections on either side of the house, above the outermost parts of the second floor bedrooms. There is also a very small/narrow crawlspace at the very tip top of the house, above the sloped ceiling of the finished attic bedroom.

Very tricky. The good news is, the layout of the house is such that there appears to be a perfect location for a whole house fan at the top of the upper staircase - that's where the heat goes anyways! If we could get a roof mounted one it could work well.

Do any of you have experience or advice about this? A vendor recommendation would be welcome to! This seems to be an efficient, inexpensive (relatively) and long-lasting solution and since we aren't going for an ice-cold house it should meet our needs/expectations.

But, I've never had a whole house fan or really ever even tried/seen one!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM

655 posts, read 1,809,655 times
We have both A/C and a whole house fan. The whole house fan is great when it still gets cool at night. It can cool down a house really quick and it is easy to control which areas get cool by opening only the windows in those rooms. Once it stays above 70 or so at night then it doesn't work as well since you're pulling in hot air. But the circulation can't be beat.

Can't help you with the vendors as it was already here when we got the house.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks! I think we'll be ok with occasional hot nights when it doesn't get that cool outside. Looking at information like this it appears that Denver is USUALLY (but not always!) going to cool off reasonably during the evening. We moved here last summer and that was generally the case - if you had enough ventilation and didn't need to be 'cool' it was fine!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 AM

1,700 posts, read 4,065,984 times
If you are looking to cool just one room then a ceiling fan and/or split AC unit might be all you need.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Actually, the finished attic room has a ceiling fan but it doesn't work very well - it moves the air, but the outside air doesn't come in. We have a couple of window unit AC's from when we lived in NYC but they are noisy and ugly, plus I am pretty sure they will use more energy than the whole house fan would use.

Looking at the inside/outside temps last night, I kept thinking 'if I could just suck all that cool air into the house we'd be fine!'.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Last summer, we had a Quiet Giant 2-speed fan installed. It was less than half the cost of a new a/c unit at $1800 or so. Installation included cutting in new roof vents. The fan is extremely effective, and it really is quiet, unlike the older models that make the whole house rattle and sound like a helicopter landing on the roof. Our house still gets warm in the summer months over the course of a hot day, but at least we don't spend the night tossing and turning until the wee hours. The cost of running it is a fraction of a/c, and it doesn't dehumidify the air, which is the downside to a/c in a dry climate like Denver. You will find that the fan will pull dust/pollen into the house, so it might not be a good choice for someone with severe allergies. We found our contractor through Angie's List, but I don't recall the name. If you'd like a referral, I'll see if I can find the receipt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver