U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,771,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
These quiet ones must be a big improvement over the older models.
I think the reason the Quiet Cool fans are so much quieter is because the fan doesn't sit directly on the floor of the attic, so the sound isn't amplified by the structure.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-04-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 AM

137 posts, read 417,531 times
Wow, we just turned ours on for the first time last night. It is most likely the original from back in the 80s.

Noisy, yes, but we hang outside until 9:30 watching the kids play and chatting with the neighbors anyway. Came inside and it was 72 degrees-- nice! We turned it off, closed the windows and everyone was comfortable. It was 71 inside this morning when I got up at 5:30 am. I don't know that it will work as well when we start hitting the 90s but for now, I am impressed.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM

79 posts, read 255,490 times
OneMoreMove - since you have to pay for installation on each model anyway, could you install one or two before decided if you want to get all four?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM

369 posts, read 842,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Bonus: when somebody goes a little crazy in the kitchen and burns something, it quickly disperses the smoke. (Yes, that happens frequently, as my oldest is learning how to cook.)
I've learned to be careful with this at our house. More than once I've turned on the house fan to clear out kitchen smoke and accidentally sucked a bunch of ash out of the fireplace!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,561,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
That is good to hear. I am hoping that 3 separate units - one intake in a 2nd floor hallway, one on a 2nd floor bedroom, and one in the small finished attic (hottest place in the house). We will add 6 new vents. The house is 2000 sq ft. How large is your house?
I have those fans and I could not be happier. I have had them for a few years now and never use the A/C.

I have 2700 sqft single story and dual zone a/c. (one zone in the living areas and one in the bedrooms). The installer wanted to install 4 QuietCools. Since I never heard of them and wanted to just try it, I elected to get just two. One in the master bedroom and one sort of in the center of the house. It turned out to be just fine.

The one in the bedroom, we run all night just about every night of the year. I just absolutely love fresh air. And it is silent, all you hear is the air moving.

I am sure they have paid for themselves with electricity savings by now. I have to remember to turn on the A/C's a couple times a year just to keep them lubed.

Three for a two story house is probably not a bad idea.

By the way, one thing that they don't talk about is while you are exchanging cool outside air into warmer inside air, the inside air is exchanging the even warmer attic air. We have a very tall attic and by the time the next day rolls around, it is full of chilled air ready to combat the sun. I think that is a major reason we never have to run the a/c.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,771,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
I've learned to be careful with this at our house. More than once I've turned on the house fan to clear out kitchen smoke and accidentally sucked a bunch of ash out of the fireplace!
Duly noted. Fortunately, our fireplace is natural gas. Not that it matters, since it hasn't worked in years!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:57 PM

299 posts, read 630,678 times
update:

The installers just left. These guys were super professional, gave us a nice price, and offered tons of expertise and advice. If anyone wants a fan system and is looking for a contractor, please shoot me a note and I'll give you a referral.

We had one of our 3 fans installed last week, but the other two hadn't arrive from the manufacturer yet. So, we got an idea of how this system will work but with only 1 of 3 fans going it was hard to judge. It looks very promising.

There wasn't enough room for the installation of a regular whole house fan in our tiny attic spaces (finished attic bedroom ate up the space) so we've gone with three roof mounted Quiet Cool 1500 CFM fans. Each one consists of an intake register/grill on the ceiling, a duct through the tiny attic space that leads to the underside of the roof, and the roof mounted fan and housing which is about 14 inches in diameter and about 14 inches tall from the roof.

With all three turned on, it seems to pull air nicely through the house. We have one unit in each bedroom rather than having one big one in the middle of the house, which would have been ideal if we had space for it.

Today is a perfect day to test the system - it's pretty hot out and typically dry for Denver. Tonight it should cool off rapidly once the sun goes down. I'll close all of the windows on the 2nd and 3rd floor, open all of the interior doors, open windows downstairs and turn on the fans. The cool outside air should be drawn up through the house and the hot air sent out the roof.

We'll see how this goes

Old 09-07-2013, 02:59 PM

20 posts, read 38,726 times
Default Whole house fan

I'm curious if anyone is using one? It seems like it would be great for this climate to cool down the house during cooler evenings instead of running the a/c split unit. The ones I'm seeing online only use 1/3HP. Reportedly, the bigger ones coming out now are supposed to be fairly quiet also. Of course, lately the evenings are too hot, but we get months at a time where the evenings are much cooler than the day. Temp can drop to 70F by 7pm, but my big a/c will still be cycling on and off until after midnight due the heat in the building. Seems crazy to run a big a/c instead of just pulling in the cool outside air.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:06 PM

20,923 posts, read 39,228,361 times
JJ: merged two old threads with your new one; there'll be lots of answers for you in the older postings.

Short version: Whole House Fans are a valid consideration for this region, especially with our cooler evenings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:13 PM

6,971 posts, read 6,581,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ.Johnson View Post
I'm curious if anyone is using one? It seems like it would be great for this climate to cool down the house during cooler evenings instead of running the a/c split unit. The ones I'm seeing online only use 1/3HP. Reportedly, the bigger ones coming out now are supposed to be fairly quiet also. Of course, lately the evenings are too hot, but we get months at a time where the evenings are much cooler than the day. Temp can drop to 70F by 7pm, but my big a/c will still be cycling on and off until after midnight due the heat in the building. Seems crazy to run a big a/c instead of just pulling in the cool outside air.
We are building a house right now and installed one. I plan to use it most evenings as long as it is below 75 degrees outside. We do have an air conditioner as well, but with the superior insulation and the air exchanger I have installed, I anticipate not needing to run it very often. We should be able to get the house cold at nit, then close it up n the morning. The second floor is bedrooms so we probably won't be up there a lot during the day once the kids are old enough to stop napping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver