U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:15 PM

12 posts, read 26,814 times

Advertisements

It looks like I will be moving from Maplewood, NJ to Denver shortly and trying to find a village similar to to the 1920's village I live in now. A walkable village where the core 4 block village contains all you need, surrounded by colonial & craftsman homes from 1880’s – 1920’s. It started off as a train stop.

So 2-3 blocks from my house I can get to:
]Train station to city (30 min)
Small grocery
10 restaurants (pizza, sushi, diner, India, French, continental, etc)
Movie Theater
Post office
Library
Coffee shops (not Starbucks)
Book store
Nail salons
Dry cleaners
Bagel shop
Specialty shops
Parks,
School
etc, etc

1-2 miles away you can drive to Home Depot (biggest in the country), Staples, Best Buy, Whole foods etc.

I read most of the prior posts about new urban villages (Stabilton & Bradburn) but I will be working at the Lockheed site SW of the city so those commutes would be too long. Any similar walkable small core villages south of Denver? (prefer mature vs new). Have 2 elementary kids so schools are important.

Any from Maplewood, NJ area that has dome this move?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

694 posts, read 1,789,253 times
I live in Bradburn so have an eye out for similar communities. I LOVE downtown Littleton, which is about 15 minutes south of downtown Denver off I-25. Not sure about schools, but has its own light rail stop, tons of great shops and restaurants.

Also look at Bonnie Brae, Washington Park, Observatory Park. All of those (and around downtown Littleton) are older, established neighborhoods with lots of character and are walkable.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,514,698 times
I grew up in New York and I do know what you are looking for to live. However, there are not many of these towns. However, you are in luck because there are two specific neighborhoods that would suite your needs.

The first would be old town Littleton, in the area around the Littleton Rail Station.
This is an older City that has developed its own identity so it has all the shops, library that you need. Most Importantly, the only public transportation that serves the Lockheed Site is the 63X express bus, which runs from the Littleton Station.

The second area I would recommend is old town Englewood, which again has its own rail station within walking distance. It is just two stops up on the southwest line and consequently, you can get on the train and arrive at the Littleton Station, in time for the 63X bus. The advantage of this area is that it has more close-in shopping with bigger stores--walmart, king Soopers and is closer to Denver and has more of an urban feel but certainly less prosperous than Littleton, which has all the nice looking old homes.

Here is some links:

the public transit The Regional Transportation District Home Page
Englewood City of Englewood : Home
Littleton City of Littleton Official City Web Site

My choice, knowing these little east coast towns and villages-I would go for old town Littleton because of the ambience and the quick availability of public transportation,Route 63X, to your work. Be aware that many areas in the southwest have a Littleton address but are in unincorporated areas of Jefferson and Douglas County. Littleton is rather "little" and is the county seat for Arapahoe County.

Even, though some of the shopping may not be available close by in old town Littleton--you have to look as the commuter rail, as an extension of your neighborhood and all business, close by to any station, is readily available to you, just like many areas of metro New York City.

Livecontent

Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM

291 posts, read 805,599 times
As Dorthy said to Toto, we're not in Maplewood any more. I agree that downtown Littleton is probably the closest thing you can get for where you work. Golden is also comparable, however, it's kind of pricey with not a lot to choose from. Old Pearl Street and Gaylord Street are smaller versions, and Tennyson Street would also work, but it's too far from your employer. Denver just doesn't have a lot of these old city cores where everything is within walking distance. I would not concentrate on finding what you did have and just take the Denver area for what it is. All cities are unique and have their own personalites. One nice thing about the Denver area is that's it very easy to get around in, plus it's loaded with many find communites. I live in Ken-Caryl Ranch, which is very close to where you work. It doesn't have the walk ability factor you want but it's very family friendly. I've got some pictures in one of my albums for you to view.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,514,698 times
A great walkable neighborhood does not have to be in an older dense section of a city, like Littleton and Englewood, as I recommended. I think there are many areas in the suburbs that can be walkable with all amenities nearby.

I think the intersection of Bowles and Wadsworth, near the the Southwest Mall would have all that you need. You would have all the shopping at the Mall; you have Target and King Soopers; you have all the stores around the mall; you have a good bus transit site at the mall; you have Columbine Park, lake and a big library. In addition, you have access to many other areas, up and down Wadsworth by bus.

You can easily think of this suburban area as a little community and you could live carfree-or-less. Living in Denver is great for good neighborhoods but it is not the only choice in the Denver Metro area.

Livecontent

Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM

108 posts, read 304,541 times
Thank you live content and the others for your info. It's great.
I would agree that Bonnie Brae and Wash Park are really neat, nice craftsman houses by some small boutique stores and restaurants.

1920's houses can be found in Highlands or West Highlands, in NW Denver. Some shops there too. Another poster rec'd Highlands east of Federal. I think there were also some West of Wash Park by the light rail. Don't know the streets well enough to tell you. SOmeone else?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,135,078 times
I would recommend the Hampden, Hampden South, and Southmoor neighborhoods near Tamarac Square. You have access to three movie theatres; four grocery stores: Whole Foods, King Soopers, Safeway, and Vitamin Cottage; lots of restaurants along Hampden Ave and Havana St; two light rail stations: Southmoor and Dayton; 2-3 miles from major shopping at Park Meadows. The area is located in the Southeast part of town. It's quite a bit further away from your place of employment than Littleton, and it also isn't as walkable. It does, however, offer a wider variety of amenities. You could still use the train for getting to work. I lived in Denver for over four years and wasn't very fond of the area as a whole, but the part of town I was happiest in was this particular area.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,674,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I would recommend the Hampden, Hampden South, and Southmoor neighborhoods near Tamarac Square. You have access to three movie theatres; four grocery stores: Whole Foods, King Soopers, Safeway, and Vitamin Cottage; lots of restaurants along Hampden Ave and Havana St; two light rail stations: Southmoor and Dayton; 2-3 miles from major shopping at Park Meadows. The area is located in the Southeast part of town. It's quite a bit further away from your place of employment than Littleton, and it also isn't as walkable. It does, however, offer a wider variety of amenities. You could still use the train for getting to work. I lived in Denver for over four years and wasn't very fond of the area as a whole, but the part of town I was happiest in was this particular area.
That's funny. We probably can't stand each other (to put it mildly), but I also find this part of SE Denver to be my favorite part of the entire metro area. I have a photo tour of pictures of this area (including Cherry Hills East, University Hills, and Englewood west of I-25): South & SE Denver -- PHOTO TOUR

Old 01-20-2009, 12:35 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,684 times
I would suggest either Bonnie Brae, or Wash park areas for the following reasons while either neighborhood will not complete your wish list entirely on their own you will be close enough to neighboring areas that will get you pretty covered..Wash Park and Bonnie Brae will be a mixture of craftsmen bungalows,tudors and contemporary architecture..You will have Old South Gaylord district--for local, coffee,nail salons,and
some unique shops..You will have Cherry Creek North within a mile or two...You will have every kind of salon available..Whole Foods,two sushi restaurants, Bombay Clay Oven(Indian) upscale and homestyle Italian,French restaurant..Many fantastic continental dining options...locally owned coffee shop...Some of the best upscale shopping between LA- CHICAGO within reach---Hermes,Tiffanys,Saks Neimans ect..Cherry Creek North has nighborhood post office..Movie theatre in mall--short distance to independent movie theatre(The Esquire)... Colorado Blvd..within reach for Home Depot, Target.. Cherry Creek bike path for biking--connects all the way to downtown Denver..Of course Wash Park is close by--one of Denver's largest parks...University Blvd.. Bonnie Brae has a few shops, and some decent ammenities..Platt Park to the South will have more options(Sushi Den) one of the best in the city..Another natural grocery store a few blocks SouthWest of the actual Wash Park itself..Light Rail connects on I-25 very close to Wash Park South.. Another area just a stones throw south Will be the DU-area--ethnic restaurants-bagel places--more options--Wash Park North off of Dakota street has what I feel is the best pizza in Denver (Basil Docs) or Abos is also close( locally owned New York Pie as well...The area is fifteen min. to Downtown as well---Hands down I think Wash Park, Bonnie Brae--or even Cherry Creek will be your best bet---It will not be like an East Coast hood--but it's devoid of suburban hum drum..and offers everything close by and mature landscape...a real community minded, and educated population..schools within walking distance...There is really no neighborhood in Denver that is similar to East Coast, but this seems to be an area of town that many Eastern transplants are now calling home..Hope that helps some --Good Luck To You...Wash Park Southwest,and Platt Park North areas will be closest to light rail..out of these options...

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-20-2009 at 01:10 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 AM

34 posts, read 101,765 times
oh...and take some maples and pin oaks with you. biggest complaint from transplants....barren-itis.

some towns even use trees as a marketing tool...."spruces and pines live here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or