U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,670,324 times
Reputation: 5338

Advertisements

And who says anybody has to be completely consistent in their speech?

I say the a in Nevada like "bad."
I say the a in Arvada like "bad."
I say the a in Colorado like "rod."

Not because of any ideological reasons, like the Spanish authenticity that jazzlover was talking about or because I'm a pretentious east coaster like what Mr. Answers thinks all we "rod" pronouncers are-- but because that's just what sounds better to my ears and easiers to say. The fact that "Colorado" ends in a long "o" makes it sound a lot better to say "rod-oh." If the state's name was "Colorada" then I would pronouce the a like "bad," but it's not. And I am a 3rd generation Colorado native, grew up in southeast Aurora. But unlike Mr. Answers, I don't hold the way someone pronounces "Colorado" against anybody.

This may come as a shock to some people, but the state of Colorado is illegitimately named. Colorado is named after the Colorado River of course, which was named by the Spanish explorers centuries before a state or territory of Colorado was ever thought of. Up until the 1920's, the river we today name as the "Colorado River" did not begin until the point of confluence of the Green River and Grand River in eastern Utah. The Colorado legislature renamed the Grand River the Colorado River so they could say the river their state was named after started in the state. Linguistically, Utah is the real Colorado-- but historically and literally (Utah embodies the rock red country much more than CO, even though CO has some). And if you read up on your history, the Colorado territory was originally going to be named Idaho (hence the town Idaho Springs)-- before the state we know today as Idaho was ever thought of. It's something to amuse yourself with and laugh at, nothing to get all uptight about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
The correct Spanish pronunciation? Are you serious? Do you also trill your Rs when you say, Colorrrrrrawdo? Do you call Los Angeles "Lows Anheles?"

It's Colorado.
Our Resident "Native Inspector" does not know what Spanish Dialect, he is indicating as the correct pronunciation of these Spanish derived names.

It does not occur to our "Native expert" that these names may have had multiple different origins from the Spanish Language, and/or over different times and/or having different pronunciation; and that the origin of the name may have been, for some, of Mexican Spanish or changed by Hispanic culture to a variant and/or alternate pronuciations.

Yes, it does not occur to our "Native Inspector"... Only the "Native Inspector" defines for all Coloradans, of different cultures, what the correct pronunciation is to be accepted.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Orange County, California
1,017 posts, read 2,699,420 times
Reputation: 469
Isn't a crack-up? I'm born and raised in the West, and I ended up with a North-Eastern American accent! Not sure how accurate the link is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Orange County, California
1,017 posts, read 2,699,420 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Since we're on the subject...

What kind of American English do you speak?

As for me, I speak general American English, which I ascribe to having lived in so many different places in the country since my childhood in the midwest.
I love these quizzes! This is my score:
What Kind of American English Do You Speak?


You Speak General American English! http://blogthings.cachefly.net/whatkindofamericanenglishdoyouspeakquiz/general.jpg (broken link)

75% General American English

10% Yankee

5% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,740,477 times
Reputation: 4502
What I found most amusing about the quiz you posted was that the midland accent, which I have, is associated with newscasters, and someone in my circle recently observed that there seem to be a lot of newscasters who hail from Ohio. Ahem, I was born in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
Reputation: 9132
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Our Resident "Native Inspector" does not know what Spanish Dialect, he is indicating as the correct pronunciation of these Spanish derived names.

It does not occur to our "Native expert" that these names may have had multiple different origins from the Spanish Language, and/or over different times and/or having different pronunciation; and that the origin of the name may have been, for some, of Mexican Spanish or changed by Hispanic culture to a variant and/or alternate pronuciations.

Yes, it does not occur to our "Native Inspector"... Only the "Native Inspector" defines for all Coloradans, of different cultures, what the correct pronunciation is to be accepted.

Livecontent
No Spanish dialect I have ever heard has a pronunciation of Colorado as "colo-raaado." And I'd bet I've spent a lot more time around native Colorado and New Mexico Hispanics than you have (by the way, a lot of the Hispanics in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico speak a pretty pure dialect of 16th Century Castilian Spanish). So, don't preach to me about what I do or don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,710,124 times
Reputation: 1778
Interesting, too, that Utah is named for the Ute tribe that occupied the Rocky Mountain region including (currently named) Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah (regarding the whole Grand / Colorado River controversy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM
 
352 posts, read 588,629 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Ken Caryl: Ken Carol
Arvada: Our Vaada (not our Vahda)
Qdoba: Que-doba
La Quinta: La Keenta

And the biggie....

Colorado: Color aaaa do NOT Color ahh do.

That one really annoys me. It's always the prickish East Coasters in Boulder who pronounce it that way when, in fact, they are the only ones.
We have a winner!

Anybody know specifically how to get all the local radio and TV "personalities" to say Co-lo-ra-do and not Co-lo-rah-do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 PM
 
437 posts, read 698,282 times
Reputation: 590
BTW, the reason Ken Caryl is Ken "Carol" is because Caryl was Ken's wife. They are the couple that originally owned the ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 AM
 
Location: right here
4,127 posts, read 4,761,621 times
Reputation: 4862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
BTW, the reason Ken Caryl is Ken "Carol" is because Caryl was Ken's wife. They are the couple that originally owned the ranch.
I was born and raised in Denver-we pronounced it Carl-Ken Caryl, I used to live there. Funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top