Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,475 times

Advertisements

It's just sad to see nationwide that prices had gone up WAY out of lock-step with supply/demand (plus local labor and materials costs). It seems utterly ridiculous to me to have approximately the same ratio of homes on the market to people seeking homes to live in and have housing values increase 25%-50% in 3-5 years. That sort of thing tends to price newcomers and median wage earners out of the market and makes the American Dream that much harder to reach for the common American. Market principles are fine with me. If NYC has a significant undersupply of homes for the population they have, prices should be high. But people expecting their home should double in value in 7 years just because "that's what homes do" just seems like fantasy land to me. So I'm glad for the price drop. The market was artificially inflated well beyond true supply/demand and that means it was one huge bubble waiting to be popped. And as far as it has fallen in some places, it STILL hasn't fallen back to where it should be for actual supply/demand forces (plus local labor and materials costs).

I totally agree with the3Ds 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. Our mortgage broker was rather surprised or befuddled that we were buying a house that was much less than "what we could afford." Our realtor was great in showing us what we said we were looking for, but I know others try hard to up-sell. Houses should be like money market investments or Treasuries. When people try to treat them like stocks and expect the return of a stock, they take on the behavior of stocks. And anybody who knows anything about stocks knows that they go up and down, especially when there is a lot of speculation going on rather than movement based on fundamentals. And when you look around the nation, cities whose home values rose more like a money market return are generally still stable and still rising like a money market return, and the cities with the biggest price drops have been places where the home values acted like the Dot Com stocks in the '90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 PM

291 posts, read 911,200 times
When I came out here 34 years ago, I was told that historically the Colorado economy moves counter to the rest of the country. Since then, I've seen it happen several times. We started out mess in 2003 and right now we're on the tail end. You will read about average house prices declining, however, you have to remember, it's just averages. That's because the mix has changed. There is approximately a 30 month supply of homes in the million dollar plus range on the market. The $250-$300 range is doing pretty well, while the low end is pretty hot, as these are being snapped up by investors. It's not unusaully to see multiple offers on many of thes homes. Take all together you get an average. It's like you had a dealership where you sold Chevys and BMWs. You used to sell 7 BMWs for every 3 Chevys, but now you sell 4 BMWs for every 6 Chevys. Guess what? Your average sales price dropped even though you're selling the same amount of cars. Our inventory continues to drop as homes continue to sell.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM

108 posts, read 340,254 times
Speaking of LA, it raised up 200% in 3 years. So when they say rates have fallen 25% or 40%, its from that overinflated rate. Over 5 year it can still be over what was paid.

I agree with the poster that the value is what someone is willing to write a check for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: