U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32946

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I disagree. I think it depends on the neighborhood (some of the 'burbs are really frigid); however, I'm glad to know that you're part of a friendly bunch. Wish I had headed your direction when I was house-hunting. I'm finally making some headway, but it isn't coming easily.
Interesting perspective. I found the city neighborhood we lived in very cold (Sloan's Lake). However, most of the suburban 'hoods I've lived in have been moderately to very friendly. One in Lafayette was not.

 
Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 2,848,515 times
Reputation: 596
Denver people really are not friendly. It's true.

Denver has that American-Libertarian vibe. It's a "You live your life and i'll live mine, and we'll just ignore each other" sort of culture.

People here are not very open or affectionate. They don't really show the kind of love that you find in other places. It's more of a distant, detached, ultra-individualist vibe. But lots of American cities have this same thing going on.

Some people are just so used to this, that they don't see it at all. And they act this way too without even knowing it because they've never seen another way.
 
Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 35,879,215 times
Reputation: 7510
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Denver people really are not friendly. It's true.

Denver has that American-Libertarian vibe. It's a "You live your life and i'll live mine, and we'll just ignore each other" sort of culture.

People here are not very open or affectionate. They don't really show the kind of love that you find in other places. It's more of a distant, detached, ultra-individualist vibe. But lots of American cities have this same thing going on.

Some people are just so used to this, that they don't see it at all. And they act this way too without even knowing it because they've never seen another way.
What are we supposed to do? French kiss strangers on the street and invite them over for wine?
 
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 2,848,515 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What are we supposed to do? French kiss strangers on the street and invite them over for wine?
That would be great. But it doesn't have to be that extreme.

There are some places where people will warm up to you quickly and before you know it you'll have a ton of friends and lots of dating options, if you are a good person.

In Denver, these things have to be earned the hard way. People here are much more likely to ignore you and they almost never "open up". You really, really have to earn peoples trust out here before they will just let down their guard.

In Denver, if you even hang out with a person, it seems like it's this huge milestone. In other places, people are much, much quicker to just hang out with others, even if they don't want to be their best friend, even if they are totally different kinds of people, they'll still just hang out, and it's no big deal. But here in Denver, people act like it's some huge commitment.

Just look at all the people on this forum who talk about how difficult it is to meet people here and make quality friends. Most people out here resort to internet dating and internet groups just to meet people.

The vibe here is very individualist. People are very selective and cliquey about who they associate with.

But like I said, if you have never been to a place where it's different, you won't see what i'm talking about.
 
Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
That would be great. But it doesn't have to be that extreme.

There are some places where people will warm up to you quickly and before you know it you'll have a ton of friends and lots of dating options, if you are a good person.

In Denver, these things have to be earned the hard way. People here are much more likely to ignore you and they almost never "open up". You really, really have to earn peoples trust out here before they will just let down their guard.

In Denver, if you even hang out with a person, it seems like it's this huge milestone. In other places, people are much, much quicker to just hang out with others, even if they don't want to be their best friend, even if they are totally different kinds of people, they'll still just hang out, and it's no big deal. But here in Denver, people act like it's some huge commitment.

Just look at all the people on this forum who talk about how difficult it is to meet people here and make quality friends. Most people out here resort to internet dating and internet groups just to meet people.

The vibe here is very individualist. People are very selective and cliquey about who they associate with.

But like I said, if you have never been to a place where it's different, you won't see what i'm talking about.
You see this on most city forums on CD. I have been many other places. I don't think it's all that different.
 
Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 2,848,515 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You see this on most city forums on CD. I have been many other places. I don't think it's all that different.
Where else have you lived?

I am finding that most of Middle-America acts this way. If you go into the midwest, it get even more intense.

And I've noticed that people who come to Denver from further East think people in Denver are awesome, because by comparison, they are. I know people from Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, cities on the East Coast, and places like that who think Denver is amazing. But it's because of what they are used to.

Denver is the farthest East in the US that I have ever lived though. So i'm just not used to this culture and lifstyle.

It's ALL about what you are used to and what you have experienced in comparison. Whenever I meet people from foriegn countries, they often tell me the same things about the way people act here.

On a US level, I guess Denver is just about the norm and it's a lot better than some places. On a global level, this place is fairly uptight and dull.
 
Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Where else have you lived?

I am finding that most of Middle-America acts this way. If you go into the midwest, it get even more intense.

And I've noticed that people who come to Denver from further East think people in Denver are awesome, because by comparison, they are. I know people from Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, cities on the East Coast, and places like that who think Denver is amazing. But it's because of what they are used to.
Denver is the farthest East in the US that I have ever lived though. So i'm just not used to this culture and lifstyle.

It's ALL about what you are used to and what you have experienced in comparison. Whenever I meet people from foriegn countries, they often tell me the same things about the way people act here.

On a US level, I guess Denver is just about the norm and it's a lot better than some places. On a global level, this place is fairly uptight and dull.
You know, I was going to say where I have lived until I read the sentences in bold. What stereotyping! What BS! I would also add if you've never been to these places, how can you possibly know anything about them?
 
Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 2,848,515 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I was going to say where I have lived until I read the sentences in bold. What stereotyping! What BS! I would also add if you've never been to these places, how can you possibly know anything about them?
I have been to all of these places, i've just never lived in them. In fact i've been to Omaha 5 times and seen all of it and Lincoln.

It's like if you grew up in the San Francisco Castro District. You get used to being around gay people and you just accept them and it doesn't even phase you to see men holding hands. But if you grow up in small-town Mississippi for example, gay people might seem much more unusual and controversial.

On the other hand, if you are from SF, seeing a gun might be a very scary and intense thing. But to a Mississippian who grew up around guns, it's no big deal at all.

Each state in the US is different. Each country on this earth is different. When you grow up in a different place, you are used to different things. You notice different things. Different things seem new and strange. Different things seem normal, etc.

I think this is a self evident truth. I don't think that it is stereotyping to honestly recognize this.
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,274 times
Reputation: 10
my husband and i are thinking of moving to denver from showlow,az would like to now a little about denver,because we have three children age's 7,8,9.is denver family friendly?is there alot of crime or gang related activity there ,my reason for asking is because of the safety of my children,we've lived in showlow,az our whole life's and there's only 8,000 people living in showlow so it's going to be a big change..thanks
 
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Borne, TX
78 posts, read 161,528 times
Reputation: 110
Default Denver What's not to like?

I have visited Denver several times over the last 20 years and the main thing I don't care for is the traffic, the traffic, and the traffic.

I've heard that the drivers are terrible, but haven't experenced it first hand. The theory I've heard expressed is that the drivers in Austin, TX and Denver, CO are similar because they are both university towns and a state capital. The drivers are trying to avoid something.....responsibility!

Actually, I love Denver and Austin, but neither are above criticism. I've lived in Austin for several years and the drivers are not good either.

What I like best about Denver besides the view of the mountains are the parks and open spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top