U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,412,635 times

Advertisements

My old boss lives there

Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 PM

87,083 posts, read 102,830,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I'm talking main campus in State College. I don't recall the exact numbers but IIRC, SATs of 1300 and GPA > 3.2 are the necessary for a good shot. If you're talking branch campuses, yes, they are much less competitive.
CU Boulder:
ACT 23-28 (25%-75%)
91% in top half of class

Penn State Uni Park:
SAT 1090-1300 (25/75)
98% in top half of class

(2005 US News College Guide; I don't have anything newer, and couldn't get in to the online stats)

I don't know how to convert ACT/SAT scores.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 PM

10,017 posts, read 17,039,600 times
Right now the only thing I dont like is the lack of jobs in my husband field.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,866,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I usually don't see too much critisism or bad things written about Denver on these forums. I think that it's because overall, Denver is a pretty good city and doesn't have many major problems. But in the spirit of constructive critisism, I would like to start a thread where people can tell about things they do not like in Denver.

I actually just want to see what people have to say on this. I feel like most people I meet really like Denver. Lots of natives here say that they will never leave. But there must be some things you don't like?

I'll start. My biggest dislike about Denver Is the lack of diversity and lack of buzz for a big city. I think the pace is too slow and the racial/cultural demographic is more narrow than i'm used to. There is a distinct lack of street life. And there is a certain rude, distant attitude a lot of people have which I think is part of the Libertarian, individualist culture here.

Another dislike I have is the sprawl. Just like Phoenix, Tucson or LA. Denver is a very sprawled, car-dependent western city without a decent subway system. It makes it hard to get around, and makes much of the city look boring and unnattractive.

What else? I'm interested in hearing it.
THE WEATHER, THE PEOPLE, THE FOOD. (In that order)

The whole state of Colorado is not my cup of tea - only thing good I have to say about it - is my son was born there

Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,412,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
Things that suck about Denver:

• long winters (first snow in October, last snow in April = sucks). Anyone from the east coast who didn't already like winter is going to dislike it even more here (probably true for Californians too). Only people from crappy midwest areas seem to think it's nice weather here and that's because they don't know anything other than completely awful weather.
It's obvious you haven't spent much time in many of the "crappy midwest areas". I'm in MN and we have far more sunny days than gloomy days - which traslates to me that our weather can get cold, but we also have many gorgeous spring, summer, fall and even winter days. You don't sound very knowledgeable about what you're speaking about. Quite ignorant, actually.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,981,619 times
Too cold!!...BRRRRRR!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,725,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Too cold!!...BRRRRRR!!!!
Yes, but at least it's a dry cold.

Er...

Old 10-09-2009, 06:17 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,680,797 times
First snow in October, sometimes true, but the nighttime cold weather can definitely show up! Last snow in April.........not necessarily, sometimes in May! I've got video and photos of a snowstorm in May, when we lived there. Boy, cory81, it sure sounds like you HATE Denver! If it weren't for the winters there, we might still be living there. Yes, we liked it and liked it a lot!

Originally Posted by cory81
Things that suck about Denver:

long winters (first snow in October, last snow in April = sucks)

Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,599,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree, the 16th street mall is a giant pile of **it. Every single corner has at least one or two Starbucks. I also find it amusing how they call it a pedestrian mall when it's actually a busway. A stinking annoying bus road. Anybody who thinks the 16th street mall is the epitome of cool is really, really lame IMO. Just about any other street in Denver is better-- Market/Larimer/Wynkoop/Wazee, E. Colfax between Broadway & Colorado, 13th ave, 17th ave, old south Pearl St, Broadway from downtown to Alameda, 1st Ave, 32nd Ave, heck, even Federal or Colorado blvd or Parker Rd all blow away the 16th street mall IMO.

Uh oh. I was actually counting it as one of my main places to go when I visit Denver next week. I've seen pictures and read a lot about it and it seemed cool. There's nothing like it in Atlanta.

Wondering, among natives of Denver what are some of the favorite places to go besides 16th street and Cherry Creek?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,648,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Uh oh. I was actually counting it as one of my main places to go when I visit Denver next week. I've seen pictures and read a lot about it and it seemed cool. There's nothing like it in Atlanta.

Wondering, among natives of Denver what are some of the favorite places to go besides 16th street and Cherry Creek?
You should still visit the Mall, but it really is underwhelming. I can't think of a single thing along the Mall itself that I can't do or get anywhere else in the city. I do like a few places in the general vicinity of the Mall, however, like:
  • Riverfront Park
  • the "flagship" REI store at 15th and Platte
  • cafes, shops along Platte street
  • businesses, restaurants, bars along Larimer, Blake, Market, Wynkoop, and Wazee streets (these streets do intersect the mall and offer more interesting options than the mall itself, in my opinion)

Also, other areas in the city that I like to go, certainly not an exhaustive list:
  • 17th Avenue (east of Broadway, west of York)
  • City Park
  • Oblio's Pizza (it's in the little downtown area at 22nd an Kearney Street in Park Hill)
  • 44th and Tennyson (berkeley neighborhood 'downtown' area)
  • 32nd and Lowell (highlands 'downtown' area)
  • Cherry Creek North (i know, i know. i do like it though!)
  • area around DU (University and Evans)
  • South Broadway (specifically south of, say, 3rd Ave and north of Alameda)
  • area around 13th and Pennslyvania in Cap Hill (i get lunch and coffee here sometimes)
  • the dazbog (coffee) in Congress Park (1200 Clayton?) - I like the patio - more of a neighborhood feel
  • shops and restaurants on old south pearl street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or