U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2010, 08:35 PM

16,998 posts, read 14,256,668 times

Advertisements

My dislike about Denver - Spring weather! Snow is fine in the winter. Even the big storms in March can be kind of fun. Well, it is almost May, and I've had enough of the snow! We've had more soccer practices canceled than we've been able to have because of the weather this spring.

Overall I really like it here. It is much better in pretty much every way than where I came from.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:07 AM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
My dislike about Denver - Spring weather! Snow is fine in the winter. Even the big storms in March can be kind of fun. Well, it is almost May, and I've had enough of the snow! We've had more soccer practices canceled than we've been able to have because of the weather this spring.

Overall I really like it here. It is much better in pretty much every way than where I came from.
My husband and I were married in Denver on May 1st in '82, and it was a beautiful day. Several days later, it snowed.
Colorado basically doesn't do spring, and those beautiful golden autumns can come to a screeching halt with events such as the Bronco Blizzard.
Canceled spring soccer matches are frequently transformed into sweaty summer make-up games.
We're visiting Denver next week for the first time in 5 years; I'll have my layers of clothing packed for anything that might come up--or down.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 AM

108 posts, read 164,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchc303 View Post
Radio in Colorado is poor as far as selection, and variety. Its like every station plays the same songs over and over. I've lived in other places where radio is much better.

Really?? That's what you have to complain about, the radio?? I don't know of anyone nowadays that even listens to the radio anymore unless they're in a department store. Cars come equipped with satelitte/HD radios and even have a port to plug in and charge your iPod and listen through you stereo. I understand you were just trying to make a point, I just found it to be a little silly.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM

95 posts, read 155,452 times
real estate is way over priced, its imposable really for a first time buyer to get anything worthwhile

and it's not the city's fault but i can't stand the weather November-may

Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM

75 posts, read 189,643 times
The two biggest things about Colorado which I "dislike", but would not leave the state for are

1. Weather - Coming from West MI, while there were far more grey days, the seasons were much more definitive...fall was late Sept - mid-Nov and spring started in March. This has been my 2nd year here since I moved and still can't seem to get used to the wild swings in temperatures.

2. Cost of housing - Still sticker shocked even out in the suburbs, and the cost of a house in parts of Denver proper for what you get seems overkill. I would love to live in the city, but do not want to be "house-poor".

However...on the flip side, there are many positives to Colorado: mountains, skiing, sunshine in the winter time; diversity in the topography and landscape around the state.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:01 PM

68 posts, read 24,082 times
Quote:
Also, what if you live in LoDo or CapHill and don't own a car? Just wondering what kind of options carless people generally use in those areas.
They walk to one of the grocery stores? I don't understand the lack of grocery stores downtown? Granted there are none in the bar district but there are Safeways and King Soopers, many of them, all over downtown Denver.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,369,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac10 View Post
Really?? That's what you have to complain about, the radio?? I don't know of anyone nowadays that even listens to the radio anymore unless they're in a department store. Cars come equipped with satelitte/HD radios and even have a port to plug in and charge your iPod and listen through you stereo. I understand you were just trying to make a point, I just found it to be a little silly.
I have an older car and can't afford those other radio amenities, so I still listen to some radio. That said I can't really say Denver radio is worse than Vegas, Phoenix, L.A. or Kansas City. Everyone has a "Jack FM", everyone has their standard rock station, etc... And they all play the same basic playlist for their region (with very slight modifications.) Denver at least seems to air a *little* more local music than other places I've lived (L.A. included.)

Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM

795 posts, read 1,572,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Sorry, D-Town. I suppose I misspoke there. Didn't necessarily mean a major grocery store, but I am curious, are there affordable markets around downtown Denver that can cover those basic needs?

Also, what if you live in LoDo or CapHill and don't own a car? Just wondering what kind of options carless people generally use in those areas.
There are markets downtown for fresh selection like cooks, which seems to accomadate quick grocery shopping like when you want to make a meal for the night. There is another market near the Lodo/CBD line but dont know much about it. There is Marczyks fine foods in uptown/cap hill.

Its surprising that the rite aid on 16th is pretty good for basic foods. Cereal is 1.99 last time I checked and you can get bread, eggs basic stuff.

Walgreens has a selection like rid aid abeit a little smaller

Vitamin college is in platte

Whole foods is in cap hill

Cook's Fresh Market Denver - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner - 303-893-2277
Marczyk Fine Foods
Larimer Square Grocery in Denver

Now I can see the need for more markets downtown you can never have enough of that. But the day a major grocery chain tries to go downtown (CBD) I think it will fail. The demand for bulk grocery shopping downtown just isnt there and the close proximity of safeway and king soopers would make it difficult.

We also have to consider the demographic downtown as lots of single professionals may eat out or buy a small amount of groceries since they arent cooking for a family.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM

5,465 posts, read 14,241,712 times
Los Angeles and San Diego both have Ralphs supermarkets right in the heart of their downtowns-- which aren't much bigger than downtown Denver.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:30 PM

9,064 posts, read 12,091,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Los Angeles and San Diego both have Ralphs supermarkets right in the heart of their downtowns-- which aren't much bigger than downtown Denver.
Not to mention, it's not like the un-Safeway and the King Soopers on Speer are that far away from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver