U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 AM

80 posts, read 151,969 times

Advertisements

Denver is a top choice for hubby and me but I'm concerned about how ugly it might be. We currently live in Manhattan right near Central Park which is indescribably beautiful in Spring and Summer.
I don't consider only lush and green as beautiful (for instance I was in Sedona AZ which is very dry but I found the red topography to be very beautiful). However, in Sedona no one "forces" green grass there. They just work with natural landscaping such as lovely rocks and indigenous plants. As for Denver, I saw video of the city park and was horrified at the amount of dead or dying grass. It looked pitiful. So are there naturally beautiful trees? Would you say its pretty even if it is brown and dry? Is flat and depressing? Aesthetics are paramount for me. Can't help it. Your input please!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,455,344 times
Well, as you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Denver is relatively dry, especially compared to NY. The foothills west of Denver are generally green only in the spring and early summer. By mid-summer they brown up due to the lack of moisture. It will remain this way until snow starts falling. However, there are numerous city parks, as well as landscaping that create a "green" environment. It's a city though, so there is a lot of "ugly" stuff, IMO. I personally don't find the city environment beautiful. I do find lots of beauty in CO though. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,560,287 times
If you live in Manhattan next to Central Park, then you can afford to come and visit. You must make your own determinations, as that is the definition of beauty.

As an ex resident of NYC, Denver is much different. The city is on the semi-arid Great Plains. Much of Colorado is about little water and abundant sun. If you are looking for natural green grass and lush trees, then I suggest you look elsewhere. For to be happy, you have to accept the land; then the West will welcome you.

Livecontent

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,375,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
My husband and I are attracted to Denver for the climate and for activities but I've heard that its topography is super dry, brown and ugly. Is that true? Don't laugh: Are there trees? I live in Manhattan now and love Central Park. I just envision Denver being one giant tumble weed. I was there for a couple days but didn't get to see much.
If you've ever been to any part of the Great Plains, that's what Denver looks like, but with mountains behind it. Its mostly flat and there are few native trees, but many have been planted by people in the city. Brown is the dominant natural color on the undeveloped plains most of he year. The imported grass on people's lawns goes dormant through a good chunk of the year. Whether or not you consider that ugly is up to you. I don't recall seeing any tumbleweeds in Denver. The air is definitely dry in Denver.
And NY is definitely brown during the winter months so you should be used to winter dormancy (which we have for a little longer here). But in Central Park there aren't spectacular snow capped peaks to help get you through the winter.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,291,732 times
The grass goes dormant in the winter and turns completely brown so that's what you see if when it's not covered with snow. It's not dying it's just doing what grass does. In a good year, it stays green well into summer a the higher elevations but then dries out again by fall. But it will not be as naturally green as back east because it is a high desert. Depressing and ugly are arbitrary terms. It varies by area... whether your on the plains, in the mountains/fotthills, in the middle of town, the burbs or the country. If you can afford to live next toe Central park in Manhattan my guess is you could afford something pretty nice in CO. I would also guess you could afford a trip out here. Why don't you just visit and see for yourself?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 AM

20,923 posts, read 39,233,384 times
Quote:
My husband and I are attracted to Denver for the climate and for activities but I've heard that its topography is super dry, brown and ugly. Is that true? Don't laugh: Are there trees? I live in Manhattan now and love Central Park. I just envision Denver being one giant tumble weed. I was there for a couple days but didn't get to see much.
Go to the Index of Key Threads and look for some of the PHOTO TOURS, that's the best answer we can give you.

Millions live here, we have tons of parks too. It's all good.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,743,592 times
As a tree and greenery lover myself, I feel that the Denver metro area is a little on the dry and brown side (especially the suburbs). However, the mature areas within the city of Denver and some of the more established suburbs are quite green during the spring and summer months. There are plenty of tree-lined, pretty streets and city parks. Remember, even in this dry climate, there is plenty of watering that goes on all summer which keeps everything fresh and green. During the years when we get plenty of rain throughout the summer, everything stays green naturally. The winter months can be a bit tough as everything goes dormant, but being from New York, this shouldn't be a major shock.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,736,678 times
Quote:
Denver is a top choice for hubby and me but I'm concerned about how ugly it might be. We currently live in Manhattan right near Central Park which is indescribably beautiful in Spring and Summer.
I don't consider only lush and green as beautiful (for instance I was in Sedona AZ which is very dry but I found the red topography to be very beautiful). However, in Sedona no one "forces" green grass there. They just work with natural landscaping such as lovely rocks and indigenous plants. As for Denver, I saw video of the city park and was horrified at the amount of dead or dying grass. It looked pitiful. So are there naturally beautiful trees? Would you say its pretty even if it is brown and dry? Is flat and depressing? Aesthetics are paramount for me. Can't help it. Your input please!
Let's keep in mind, Sedona, from an asthetic point of view, is one of the most beautiful places in the whole world. Was just there a few weeks ago. Once you've seen Sedona, everything else looks ugly in comparison, IMO.

"Ugly" is a loaded word, but I'd say, yes, Denver looks drab and bleak for much of the year. Even during the green part of the year, I still think the man made landscaping environment is pretty boring and uninspiring. The architecture is ugly and depressing too, for the most part. I appreciate eastern greenery, but the natural and man made landscapes of the desert southwest is what really turns me on.

I HATE Kentucky bluegrass turf lawns and would be perfectly happy if the stuff was banned.

I don't think Denver is for you. If you dig the cactus-y, wild & natural look and want a large city, you should investigate Albuquerque and Tucson.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,291,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Let's keep in mind, Sedona, from an asthetic point of view, is one of the most beautiful places in the whole world.
No it's not.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:57 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,375,509 times
I'm not sure where your coming from with this post. You're currently living in one of the most urbanized environments in the country where the natural beauty is confined to a relatively small area and you're trying to compare that to a place that is known for its natural setting (and not particularly for it's urban amenities). There are a lot of reasons that people move to Denver, but I've never heard of anybody coming here for the city parks.

I suppose that the style of Denver's urban areas is "eastern USA" - lite. So in that sense, if you either want the real thing or something completely different then you're probably better off somewhere else in the East (for the former) or the cities Vegaspilgrim mentions (for the latter). The Colorado climate is hard on plants from the eastern U.S. It's too dry for them to grow naturally and the late and early snowstorms can wreak havoc on leafed out trees and shrubs (which we are apparently about to get another example of). It doesn't keep people from trying, but the plants are never going to thrive like they do in their native climates. (Some of us would prefer that different regions of the country LOOK different, but that's another post entirely.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or