U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 AM
 
556 posts, read 1,039,001 times
Reputation: 550

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
"Manhattan for a year." That was on my hubby's bucket list. After the year is over in October 2010 - it is my turn to pick a location. We spent 24 years in Tampa, Florida and we have friends and family in the Denver area. Personally, I would LOVE to live in San Francisco, but it is too far away from any friends or family.
As for beauty - New York for the most part is concrete and steel. The subways are the filthiest most disgusting thing I've ever been exposed to. However, there are areas of great beauty and of course, Central Park is unrivaled.
What concerns me about Denver? Vast expanse of blaaaaaaaaah land, no trees - which I guess is precisely what exists to the east. "Saudi Aurora?"
Concrete and steel isn't beautiful but at least with buildings you have bustling vibe, shade and tree lined streets. When I think of ugly suburbs with no trees for miles... depressing. But we don't have to look east I suppose. If we move to Denver we would live downtown.... or... a nice surrounding neighborhood.
I was in a simliar situation. My wife dragged me to NYC for 3 years and then I got to choose the next destination...Denver

NYC invests so much in its parks and landscaping because its citizens are otherwise starved for outdoor space. Denver has the mountains so close, and everybody has their own backyard so less energy is put into its public parks and plazas. If you are looking for beauty and aesthetics, denver proper does not have much to offer, but take a look at boulder or golden if work commute allows. Being surrounded by the foothills is far more beautiful than anything central park has to offer. Otherwise stick to the inner neighborhoods of denver. I live near first and broadway, there are plenty of mature trees and some nice landscaping, but nothing to compare to NYC.

 
Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,310,229 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I was in a simliar situation. My wife dragged me to NYC for 3 years and then I got to choose the next destination...Denver

NYC invests so much in its parks and landscaping because its citizens are otherwise starved for outdoor space. Denver has the mountains so close, and everybody has their own backyard so less energy is put into its public parks and plazas. If you are looking for beauty and aesthetics, denver proper does not have much to offer, but take a look at boulder or golden if work commute allows. Being surrounded by the foothills is far more beautiful than anything central park has to offer. Otherwise stick to the inner neighborhoods of denver. I live near first and broadway, there are plenty of mature trees and some nice landscaping, but nothing to compare to NYC.
Funny... I've had a couple friends visit who'd never been to Denver and they both commented on how many "beautiful parks" there were, and how they loved the huge trees and old architecture (in Park Hill, Cheeseman, City Park, etc.). I suppose it's all in what you're used to.
 
Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 PM
 
299 posts, read 630,678 times
Reputation: 171
I like Denver and there's not much to 'hate' about it, but YEA it's so brown and dead sometimes. When what few leaves exist fall off the trees, it's kind of dismal during the cold of winter. But, all things considered it's not that bad.

I like green a lot, but that's just me!!
 
Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Mile high city
795 posts, read 2,188,718 times
Reputation: 260
Yeah I stand corrected you can get a great Chicago style italian beef at Fontannos downtown. I am so happy now.
 
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Austin/Houston
2,832 posts, read 4,412,130 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Geez, what a bunch of complainers! Let's just bulldoze the 16th St. Mall and all move away!

Seriously, other cities in this country envy the 16th St. Mall. I was down there for dinner last weekend and there were so many people out and about - it was great. Lack of street life? Maybe in Highlands Ranch, but I live in the actual city, so I see plenty of street life. There were people all over downtown last Saturday evening and plenty of people out on Colfax.

I find people here to be generally pleasant - I go to Philly a couple times per year for work, so I know what rude is! And as for sprawl, it's there, but it could be a lot worse. I grew up in KC and if you compare the KC metro are to Denver, they're about the same size in area, but Denver has nearly a million more people. When it comes to sprawl, there are bigger offenders out there than Denver.

My main complaint is the freeway system. So many freeways are rough, full of pot holes, and only have two lanes in each direction, so always backed up. And then there's winter - I'm no big fan of it, but that's not going to change.
Actually, i think you're right about 16th Street. You all take it for granted but that would move worlds for Houston's downtown if it had a 16th Street Mall. I think too many people on this subforum take it for granted.
 
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 PM
 
Location: western Colorado, hoping to move to PA
51 posts, read 137,898 times
Reputation: 58
The creepy-ass murals at DIA. *shivers*

Just one of the gems.
 
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,734,712 times
Reputation: 5348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umberlee View Post
The creepy-ass murals at DIA. *shivers*

Just one of the gems.
Where are those found?
 
Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,721,972 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umberlee View Post
The creepy-ass murals at DIA. *shivers*

Just one of the gems.
It's only fair to show what's just to the left of that Mural, though.

Used to be I didn't understand them when I just looked at pictures on the internet of the murals, but once I'd seen them in person I actually found them to be quite...well, inoffensive, if rather utopian. Certainly interesting and unique.
 
Old 05-23-2010, 05:59 PM
qsr
 
47 posts, read 91,088 times
Reputation: 32
I live in the northern Burbs, but Denver is a boring enough city that I prefer going out in Boulder most of the time. There's always 4x as many guys as women out in the bars. Also the only thing anyone seems to have any interest in is skiing, mountain biking, or the Broncos. The Rockies (MLB) are more of an afterthought to the town. Denver has one decent club and a few others that have been ruined by thugs (or were never much to begin with.) If the job and dating situations were so awful in the Front Range, I probably would really love it. But I may have to move West to find a job and a better social life. You try to make friends and then people just blow you off or don't make any effort in Denver, cuz they'd rather go skiing or get high or whatever.
 
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsr View Post
I live in the northern Burbs, but Denver is a boring enough city that I prefer going out in Boulder most of the time. There's always 4x as many guys as women out in the bars. Also the only thing anyone seems to have any interest in is skiing, mountain biking, or the Broncos. The Rockies (MLB) are more of an afterthought to the town. Denver has one decent club and a few others that have been ruined by thugs (or were never much to begin with.) If the job and dating situations were so awful in the Front Range, I probably would really love it. But I may have to move West to find a job and a better social life. You try to make friends and then people just blow you off or don't make any effort in Denver, cuz they'd rather go skiing or get high or whatever.
And what do they do/talk about doing in Boulder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top