U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
qsr

47 posts, read 90,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And what do they do/talk about doing in Boulder?
I dunno downtown Denver and Boulder are just satellites of the same city. If you want to claim one is better than the other, be my guest, that wasn't my point.

BTW this is a "*****" thread so, I'm just being negative in the spirit of that.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 21,391 times
So my family and I have decided to move back to the US after being expats for 10 years -- London, Moscow, and most recently Dubai. Denver is among the top 3 places we are considering (along with Ridgefield, CT and Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC). First, regarding drivers, Dubai takes the global lead on actual traffic deaths and accident rate. 170 nationaities and no real driving test requirements don't help!! In fact on my recent visit to Denver I thought the drivers actually seemed really polite!! I like so many things about Denver (and I would add Boulder as I see it as one region). But if we are to focus on the negatives, I dislike the airport design. Given that it was built from a "clean sheet" why design an airport that requires you to get on a train to get to any part of it? Seems to me they could have just used the hub and spoke concept like most airports and avoid the whole Disneyland monorail thing. Given that I fly all over the world all the time Denver's location being 2 hours from LA and 4 hours from NY seems pretty good. Especialy when the benefit of that location is access to some of the best mountains in the world!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM

299 posts, read 629,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsr View Post
I live in the northern Burbs, but Denver is a boring enough city that I prefer going out in Boulder most of the time. There's always 4x as many guys as women out in the bars. Also the only thing anyone seems to have any interest in is skiing, mountain biking, or the Broncos. The Rockies (MLB) are more of an afterthought to the town. Denver has one decent club and a few others that have been ruined by thugs (or were never much to begin with.) If the job and dating situations were so awful in the Front Range, I probably would really love it. But I may have to move West to find a job and a better social life. You try to make friends and then people just blow you off or don't make any effort in Denver, cuz they'd rather go skiing or get high or whatever.
Mostly I hear positive things about Denver from those who live there. People certainly seem nice to me and it's been easy to make friends. I would agree that there is a huge focus on winter sports, mounting biking, Broncos - sure, but most people seem to really enjoy that so it works for Denver. I'm not really that into any of those things, but it's still fine with me.

I think it could depend on what demographic you fall in to. When I was [much] younger, I was a working musician who 'needed' a thriving bar/club scene. I would have never been happy in Denver. My brother was a ski-bum type in the 80's when he was around the same age (early 20's) and he was thrilled when he moved to Denver.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,359,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsusa View Post
But if we are to focus on the negatives, I dislike the airport design. Given that it was built from a "clean sheet" why design an airport that requires you to get on a train to get to any part of it? Seems to me they could have just used the hub and spoke concept like most airports and avoid the whole Disneyland monorail thing.
Regarding DIA, the idea seemed to be - we have all this land, let's spread the airport out as much as possible. The last time I flew out of there my plane left from gate B-95 (which was as remote as it sounds).

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 AM

I like DIA. The train takes a few minutes but never more. I fly twice a week (literally) for much of the year, so what I really want is an aiport that is organized and reliable. DIA is good that way

Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,359,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
I like DIA. The train takes a few minutes but never more. I fly twice a week (literally) for much of the year, so what I really want is an aiport that is organized and reliable. DIA is good that way
My last flight was to Tucson and there's no comparison between the 2 airports in terms of ease of travel. Part of this has to do with the higher volume of air traffic in Denver, but another aspect is simply the fact that Tucson's airport is compact and actually in the city. I landed in Tucson and within a half an hour I had my car and was on my way to the hotel (a 15-20 minute drive). The rental cars are all on site which helps a lot. Leaving town, it took me all of 5 minutes to get through security and then a couple minutes to WALK to my gate.

Contrast that with when I left DIA. I drove to the airport, parked at an outlying lot, waited awhile for the parking shuttle (20-30 minutes to get from my car to the terminal), spent another 20 minutes in the security line (relatively short for DIA), boarded the train to get to my gate, and then it took me about 15 minutes to walk from the center of the B concourse to my gate. I prefer walking to my gate but if you require a train to get there why not at least structure it so it minimizes the walking time once you get off?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM

68 posts, read 100,340 times
So you are comparing an airport that was built 60 years ago and serves maybe 1/10th or less of the traffic why?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 PM

I agree, it's hard to make that comparison. I look at it like this:

When I lived in Baton Rouge, it took 10 minutes to park and get to the gate. Tiny airport, great convenience. But, not many directly flights to anywhere

In Denver, it takes longer to park and get to the gate. Every time, every flight includes the train, etc. That said, the airport is a pretty significant hub for United and there are tons of direct flights to loads of places. For me, I save countless hours making connections. And, while the train takes an extra x minutes per trip, it's very reliable and I know what to expect.

For me, I'll take DIA any day

Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM

68 posts, read 100,340 times
Quote:
Every time, every flight includes the train, etc.
Well you can walk over bridge to the A gates. Many people still choose not to.

The bridge to A was actually a demand made by Continental who moved their hub anyway in the end.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,899,128 times
Lets also not forget that DIA was designed for future expansion. I believe each of the existing concourses has enough room for 100 gates and there's room for at least two more concourses. Do you really want to walk from Jeppesen to gate E-99? The trains make sense. If you don't like it, fly Frontier and walk to concourse A.

DIA was also built to minimize runway crossings (a major hazard at other airports) and allow for additional runways in the future. Having enough room for the next century takes a lot of land. Sure, DIA is on the edge of town but so were most urban airports when they were built. Cities have a habit of building out to meet the airport, then people complain about the noisy airport next door. I would like to see limited-stop light rail line from DIA to downtown and DTC. That would help make it feel more in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or