U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Denver
339 posts, read 1,096,141 times
Reputation: 215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Yes it does. Things like:

Gee, people in this city are practical. They don't live beyond their means. Maybe they are in a recession. They don't think that what you own defines who you are. To some people, there is more to life than money.

Let me repeat that last one.

To some people, there is more to life than money.

I'd say that sums up a lot of why people come to Denver. We have parks, amenities, plenty of "free days", public spaces, proximity to a LOT of outdoor activities, a vibrant arts scene...I've done this list many times before. Who CARES how many people are driving around in $100,000 cars? When I lived in L.A. it seemed everyone owned a black BMW...and they were always in the shop...the owners were working 80+ hour weeks and had to schedule all their family time...easy money? They can have it. I've got a massive trail system I'm gonna go bike. In the city. Where I live.
I didn't say that money means everything. I gave some leeway and stated that what people in a city drive doesn't mean everything. But It says alot.

I respect Denver for being an outdoorsy-nature city. But this places kind of falls behind in the long run for people who choose to do other things.

In some cities that have a higher number of people who happen to have more expensive items (which generally equates to more disposable income), it tends to be easy to make money in just about anything. I dont get that vibe here in Denver.

The upside is that Denver is a bit less competitive...but the way I see it is, if everything is so tightly held...(and I was disconcerted to find out the economy here seems a bit worse off than Texas, but not awful) then it really doesn't matter if Im the only person around doing job A, because there isn't much of a market here for job A. Im competiting against frugality, not actual human beings.

I was talking about this with a friend in Colorado Springs...and he agrees that its just as ridiculously cheap here and he's been here his whole life. The woman he works for pays him ***** pay, and expects him to move a mountain. I guess its just how it is over here. The mentality here hasn't left the 80s, when Denver was probably super cheap and just plain countrified. It takes decades for stuff like that to change, if ever.

There was probably never much international money here to began with like Miami/New York does, and as far as I know...there's really never been a major hit movie like those 2 places do to really 'put Denver on the map' and get the locals/natives a taste of what the life of 'living in excess' really is in the world. All there is the mountains...which naturally attract a certain type of people-those who feel that anything that does not come from the earth itself is wasteful. Plants, skis, bikes and hiking boots (not to mention 6+ cylinders) are the only 'extra' items that should be purchased repeatedly by the people here who actually have a dime...

My God, I've been here for 2 months and have already figured out how things work in the financial realm of things here...and why its as sluggish as it is. I am disappointed that my dreams of living here are now tarnished

 
Old 10-20-2010, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,720,954 times
Reputation: 1778
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I didn't say that money means everything. I gave some leeway and stated that what people in a city drive doesn't mean everything. But It says alot.
So let's find out what it means, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I respect Denver for being an outdoorsy-nature city. But this places kind of falls behind in the long run for people who choose to do other things.

In some cities that have a higher number of people who happen to have more expensive items (which generally equates to more disposable income), it tends to be easy to make money in just about anything. I dont get that vibe here in Denver.
So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
The upside is that Denver is a bit less competitive...but the way I see it is, if everything is so tightly held...(and I was disconcerted to find out the economy here seems a bit worse off than Texas, but not awful) then it really doesn't matter if Im the only person around doing job A, because there isn't much of a market here for job A. Im competiting against frugality, not actual human beings.
I do not understand what this means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I was talking about this with a friend in Colorado Springs...and he agrees that its just as ridiculously cheap here and he's been here his whole life. The woman he works for pays him ***** pay, and expects him to move a mountain. I guess its just how it is over here. The mentality here hasn't left the 80s, when Denver was probably super cheap and just plain countrified. It takes decades for stuff like that to change, if ever.

There was probably never much international money here to began with like Miami/New York does, and as far as I know...there's really never been a major hit movie like those 2 places do to really 'put Denver on the map' and get the locals/natives a taste of what the life of 'living in excess' really is in the world. All there is the mountains...which naturally attract a certain type of people-those who feel that anything that does not come from the earth itself is wasteful. Plants, skis, bikes and hiking boots (not to mention 6+ cylinders) are the only 'extra' items that should be purchased repeatedly by the people here who actually have a dime...
You clearly haven't heard of Aspen. Or oil. Or natural gas. Or boom / bust cycles. Or mineral exploration. Or railroads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
My God, I've been here for 2 months and have already figured out how things work in the financial realm of things here...and why its as sluggish as it is. I am disappointed that my dreams of living here are now tarnished
I don't know what you expected, but you clearly didn't do any serious research before coming here. I will rephrase my original point, because clearly the most important thing to a "certain kind of person" involves material goods, thus - To some people there is more to life than material goods. I'm sorry that you are disappointed that this city has never had a hit movie to "put Denver on the map", or that natives have never had "a taste of what the life of 'living in excess' really is in the world" (though it fails to explain the preponderance of wealthy people that relocate to the area, often buoying housing prices which are statistically higher on average than the surrounding states.) This is clearly not the place for you and respectfully I say, "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Frankly, this city has a little bit of everything. That doesn't work for all people, and that's fine, and of course you have every right to write and respond to "what you don't like about Denver", but I suspect you will not be happy anywhere except Miami or New York, and then would be shocked (though certainly shouldn't be in the case of a Florida city) at how hard the money really is to come by. If you're not fighting tooth and nail for a dime in cities such as those, then why *wouldn't* you live there instead of here? For my part, it doesn't bother me that I don't make a lot of money because there is so much to do here that does not require money! If it's not your thing, then I suggest you seek an alternative metropolitan area to inhabit.
 
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Parker, CO
1,086 posts, read 2,742,110 times
Reputation: 1780
To claim that the Denver metro area is lacking in wealth is total B.S. In fact, Douglas County, home to many of the Denver area's southern suburbs, is the 8th wealthiest county in the U.S. The median household income in Douglas County is $97,480. Here's a list of the top 25 wealthiest counties in the U.S.

Highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't ever forget that wealth is often times an illusion. So many Americans appear to be rich, but are actually up to their heads in debt, buying expensive houses, cars and clothes that they can't afford just so they can impress other people. No thanks. I am thankful that I have friends who love me for who I am and that my value in life has nothing to do with the balance on my ATM receipt.
 
Old 10-20-2010, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
304 posts, read 673,833 times
Reputation: 139
Cruising, I would recommend NY, LA, or San Francisco/Silicon Valley. They sound more your style. Good luck wherever you end up!
 
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Denver
339 posts, read 1,096,141 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
To claim that the Denver metro area is lacking in wealth is total B.S.

Don't ever forget that wealth is often times an illusion. So many Americans appear to be rich, but are actually up to their heads in debt.
Where did I say the Denver metro area is lacking in wealth? I didn't...I said they are CHEAP. I am very aware that Denver has money. Its not a poor city, its just a FRUGAL city.

This guy in Colorado Springs (same guy) told me how many of the people here can have lots of money and still be cheap as hell. If I listen to anyone, its the locals. I may not like what they have to say, I may not accept it, but eventually reality shows it's face and he was right all along.

And I understand the whole puffery aspect of living. Thats not really the issue though.

But, I cant be mad. If people here shy away from spending big bucks on exclusive things, then so be it. I refuse to accept that. Its not even about going broke and buying $100 plain Abercrombie shirts. Its just about having fun, and spending money doing it. At the very least...it does keep the cost of living down here. Hotels are relatively inexpensive for a good deal, and overall its not earth-shattering prices.

But, as I've 'cruised the USA', I notice that you get what you pay for, and the cheaper the cost of living...the harder it seems to make a living. Im at the point where Im not really running to where its cheap anymore...cause then you get all the cheapskates...like Denver
 
Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Denver
339 posts, read 1,096,141 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by shukertj View Post
Cruising, I would recommend NY, LA, or San Francisco/Silicon Valley. They sound more your style. Good luck wherever you end up!
Im actually going to New York. Haven't been to California, but Im not trying to go out that way at the moment.

Someone sent me a reputation point saying I need therapy. Really? So just because I cant seem to find footing in middle America (Denver included), I need therapy? I guess you can curse God for making the World in Vain because that means I should just stay here forever and forget about going elsewhere

When I mention Denver to my friends in other places, you know their responses?

"Denver???????????????????????????????????? What you going to do way out in Denver?

"You going to be out there with the Coyotes"

"That part of the country isn't very populated"

Yes....they are stereotypes, but they are true to an extent. Denver is a bustling city amongst HUNDREDS of MILES of wilderness and farmland. There just isn't enough cities nearby to influence it...so therefore its in its own 'little world'.
 
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM
 
Location: South of JAX
140 posts, read 391,032 times
Reputation: 86
Yeah, Denver's not for everyone. To be honest, sometimes it has a depressing feel to it on those cloudy, windy, and cold winter days. Not having another city to escape to can kinda suck. In north FL, I can just escape to Miami in the middle of winter for some 80 degree sunny weather.
 
Old 10-21-2010, 06:24 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,078,490 times
Reputation: 15328
Not a thing. In this Georgian's opinion, you've got a gem of a city there.
 
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
Reputation: 13010
Some of these recent posts make it seem like Denver is some backwoods town (not city) in the middle of nowhere.

CruisingUSA, I really don't know what you were expecting when you moved here. Were you expecting Miami in the mountains? A mini NYC? A refined Texas?

You're making Denver sound like Helena, MT, because that's what I'm imagining (from memory) when you describe Denver. Maybe you should visit Helena to see how bad it could be.

There's a whole western half of the USA that you may have not cruised yet, and the more into the "West" you get, the more you'll find that we don't need "stuff". Must be an coastal thing (maybe that's why I didn't fit into my native CA ).....but there is plenty of consumerism in some of the suburbs from what my naked eyes tell me.
 
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,873 posts, read 23,170,285 times
Reputation: 37276
I don't think that Cruising is speaking of simply consumerism....I'm getting that he/she is looking for rap star level blingy-ness. Flash. Denver isn't too flashy. Doesn't necessarily reflect the level of wealth here but the "show-off-i-ness" of it. Try Aspen or Vail. Where people from flashy places visit when they come to Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top