U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,709,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pittsburgh and Champaign, IL, both close to the 40th parrallel as well, have a few warm days in winter, too. However, Denver's climate is much sunnier and drier than either one of those places'.
You made me do a rush on Google Earth. I hadn't realized that Denver is at roughly the same latitude as Pennsylvania's southern border! Somehow I always thought of PA as further north than it actually is.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,312,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
You made me do a rush on Google Earth. I hadn't realized that Denver is at roughly the same latitude as Pennsylvania's southern border! Somehow I always thought of PA as further north than it actually is.
It still trips me out that we're roughly at the same latitude as Sacramento.

Growing up, Sacramento always seemed so far north.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,668,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It still trips me out that we're roughly at the same latitude as Sacramento.

Growing up, Sacramento always seemed so far north.
Actually, Denver's more lined up with places like Chico, Paradise, Orland, Corning. Sacramento would be somewhere in between Colorado Springs and Pueblo.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Actually, Denver's more lined up with places like Chico, Paradise, Orland, Corning. Sacramento would be somewhere in between Colorado Springs and Pueblo.
Wow, even more mind-boggling!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM

290 posts, read 590,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhxc View Post
The absolute WORST drivers I have EVER seen in my life. Other then that I love it here!
You must have never visited good ol' Orlando, FL...tourist capital of the country, and not just any tourists, but foreign tourists! There's more rental cars than owned.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Wow, even more mind-boggling!
Slightly off topic, but the CA/NV border through Lake Tahoe is slightly farther west than Santa Barbara. Now that's weird.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 PM

25 posts, read 59,449 times
I'm pretty late to the game, but I gleefully read through all 50 pages of this topic and now feel compelled to add my $0.02.

I've lived in Denver for 11 years, a couple years in the West Washington Park area and the rest in the western suburbs. Generally, Denver is a decent city to live in, and there's lots to love about it, but since the question at hand is "What do you dislike about Denver", I will respond to that specifically, as I have many gripes and can't wait to move away (but am having a hard time convincing my native-Coloradan wife to leave).

1. Climate: I have a fairly unusual point of view on the matter (or so I'm told; it seems perfectly rational to me). I find it to be WAAAAAAY too sunny and bright and hot and dry here. Maybe it's because I'm fair-skinned, but I absolutely hate constantly having the sun in my eyes and being blinded while driving. Yes, I wear dark sunglasses and a hat whenever I go anywhere, but I still find the constant sunshine to be quite oppressive, not to mention the fact that it triggers migraines. Something to consider if you're thinking of moving here and have light skin or sensitive eyes: it is EXTREMELY bright here, and the sunshine is relentless. It is very much like living in a giant tanning booth.

I also have a hard time understanding why people here complain when it snows, since it's sunny 90% of the time, and snowfall never lasts very long here at all.

2. Sports Worship: Denverites are typically obsessed with sports (Broncos and John Elway in particular [poor guy can't even furtively pick his nose without making the front page of the paper]) Lots of folks get *extremely* worked up about sports here, which seems unhealthy and kind of stupid, really. Sports are great, but let's not worship them! It's not life or death.

3. General Geography: I find the Denver area ugly, brown, dirty, depressing, and exhibiting an almost total lack of character. The areas surrounding downtown are an obvious exception to this, as they are mostly charming with older housing stock, mature trees, and tight-knit, walkable neighborhoods. But that only accounts for maybe 10% of the metro area. The other 90% is bleak suburbs characterized by cheap, crappy houses, mind-numbing sprawl, chain stores and other such garbage. Someone once referred to metro Denver as a "big beige puke", and that pretty well describes it. Take a spin through Thornton or Westminster (which I like to refer to as "Trashcanistan"); if you have any sense of civic pride, or any appreciation for what gives a place charm or character, this area will make you want to put a gun in your mouth.

3a. The things that most Denverites refer to as "lakes" are more commonly known in the rest of the country as mud puddles. You almost have to pity the people whose idea of water recreation is jet skiing or swimming in filthy reservoirs that are known to have unacceptable levels of fecal matter in the water. It is truly disgusting. I once waded into the Cherry Creek Reservoir; I felt like I was standing in the tank of an outhouse that had been sitting in the sun all day.

3b. Denver has indeed let its downtown turn into what an earlier poster accurately described as a "theme park for tourists." The primary urban attraction is a pedestrian mall lined with chain restaurants and chintzy souvenir stores. To its credit though, it is a fairly lively downtown most of the time, with a healthy assortment of freaks and ne'er-do-wells.

4. Denver has an insecurity complex: I think it's from years of being called a cowtown. Some people tend to get very defensive if you're not just as ecstatic about Denver as they are. There is another, smaller subset of Denverites that tend to congregate around the Cherry Creek area that have some sort of bizarre Beverly Hills-wannabe complex that impels them to dress up in furs and leather and walk around the Cherry Creek Mall.

5. Nativism: people who were born in CO never tire of letting you know it, as evidenced by the huge proliferation of "NATIVE" bumper stickers. Taking credit for where you were born is about as dumb as taking credit for the weather or the laws of thermodynamics. There's some strange mindset here where people feel like they deserve some sort of reward for living in the place where they were born.

6. Cyclists Are Their Own Worst Enemies: I don't know if this is Denver-specific, but cyclists here really give themselves a bad name. I'm more than happy to share the road. And as a sometime cyclist, I really want to advocate on their behalf, but they make me very nervous sometimes. Almost every day I see people on bikes running red lights and stop signs, riding three abreast, etc. I really don't want a negligent manslaughter rap hanging over me because I clipped some careless dude on a bike who ran a stop sign. Sometimes it seems like they really want drivers to hate them.

7. Isolation: this point of view has been represented enough on this forum, so I'll just add a +1 for myself. It is indeed very isolated from the rest of the country.

8. Rural Urbanites: one common criterion for having "made it" Colorado-style, is to work in Denver and live up in the mountains and adopt a faux-rustic lifestyle. It seems that these people have neglected to take into account the extreme car dependence that their lifestyle entails. Some acquaintances of mine moved up past Bailey to "get away from the rat race," although it seems all they've done is ensure that they have to drive absolutely everywhere they go. Every single task outside of the home involves a minimum of a 10-mile drive.

Wow, that went on a bit long, but at least I got it off my chest.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM

229 posts, read 670,912 times
I hate all the complainers in Denver.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:45 PM

A sarcastic promotion pretty much outlining my Denver gripes:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17002111-post8.html

Old 12-18-2010, 05:19 PM

726 posts, read 1,865,173 times
Funny how most of the things people list as gripes (sports, geography, climate, cycling, isolation) are what I love about the area. Seriously complaining it's too sunny?! But since this thread is what you don't like about Denver then I too will say the complainers who have moved here and don't like it and the natives who complain about the people who move here. Newbies: if you don't like it go back to where you're from. Natives: it's not as expensive as you make it out to be and everyone deserves to live somewhere that makes them happy. One other thing to Newbies: stop showing up to sporting events in your old team's jersey and screaming your head off. It's annoying, you obviously didn't like the place enough to stay so why still cheer for a team in a city you don't live in and probably doesn't have the same players as when you lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or