U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,479,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
I have lived here 7 months now. I never brought a car with me and I never miss it. I get everywhere I want to go on Denver's public transport system! I love the RTD and look forward to it's growth.
When I visited in late 2007 I was thinking of spending one of my "downtown days" travelling by RTD, so I looked up the routes on the website and found a BUNCH of routes going to various parts of the city, a bunch of park n rides, etc. I ended up actually driving downtown each time and didn't have a problem parking, either, but the point is that I saw just how much the RTD extends to the greater Denver area. As a matter of fact, one of the things I'm keeping in mind for whenever I do retire is that if Denver is still my #1 as it is now, I want to buy a home near a park n ride or a rail station, as I will DEFINITELY be using it a lot then when I don't want to drive to a Rockies game or whatever downtown.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For those of us on the west side, it takes a lot longer now.

There was an article in the Sunday Post about how people are getting burned out on air travel, period. Be there two hours early, be treated like cattle (if not worse), etc. I especially do not like the system at DIA of going down the escalators to the trains, then into the trains like a bunch of livestock, then back up the escalators to your gate, etc, etc. Try doing that with little kids to supervise and/or carry around.
I love DIA and enjoy the process of getting out to my gate.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
And when I went through the airport last Sunday going through the walkway to Concourse A at the security they had this new line I've never seen before where you walk into this "air puff" machine as an alternative to the normal metal detector. I have no clue what the heck that thing is, all I know is it sounded pretty scary. It looks like you're walking into a gas chamber.
I've been in that thing too. I was expecting money to start blowing all over so I could grab as much as I could

Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 AM

195 posts, read 727,189 times
Default hmmm...

I have to really think about this, because I'm happier in Denver than I have ever been in my life. I fit here. It's the mountain lifestyle. Many of my complaints would be the same no matter what metro area you live in, so I'm trying to come up with something unique to Denver.

Hey, this is a good day! I can't think of a darned thing I don't like about Denver! I must be HAPPY!

YOU SHOULD MOVE HERE AND BE HAPPY!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 9,789 times
glad i found this thread as there are so many threads about all the good things about the city. i have been trying to move there for the past 3 years but because of work i have not been able to until now. i currently live in south florida and one of the things i was concerned about since i am 23 years old is the night life and or amount of females in the area. being in south florida i am blessed with having endless amounts of females to meet etc. i was wondering about the denver area? another thing that considers me is the type of people in denver. i am originally from dallas which has some of the nicest people i have met anywhere. the people of my age i have met from denver have all been "yeah bro" and pot heads.

i also hear that traffic is terrible there. down here in a bicounty area there is an area roughly 20 miles wide by 60 miles long of livable area with only 2 north-south highways and 2 east-west highways for millions of people.

skiing and climbing 14ers are among my favorite things to do so i will prob end up there regardless

Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM

456 posts, read 1,437,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
I have lived here 7 months now. I never brought a car with me and I never miss it. I get everywhere I want to go on Denver's public transport system! I love the RTD and look forward to it's growth.
Not if you want to go to the mountains. Then you're screwed.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,740,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestone818 View Post
glad i found this thread as there are so many threads about all the good things about the city. i have been trying to move there for the past 3 years but because of work i have not been able to until now. i currently live in south florida and one of the things i was concerned about since i am 23 years old is the night life and or amount of females in the area. being in south florida i am blessed with having endless amounts of females to meet etc. i was wondering about the denver area? another thing that considers me is the type of people in denver. i am originally from dallas which has some of the nicest people i have met anywhere. the people of my age i have met from denver have all been "yeah bro" and pot heads.

i also hear that traffic is terrible there. down here in a bicounty area there is an area roughly 20 miles wide by 60 miles long of livable area with only 2 north-south highways and 2 east-west highways for millions of people.

skiing and climbing 14ers are among my favorite things to do so i will prob end up there regardless
We've discussed this before. Here on city-data you can actually look at demographic data and see that there is a noticable imbalance of twentysomething men to women. It's hard to tell the actual numbers from the graph, but it's in the range of 52-48 or so. The numbers seem to even out a bit in the higher age ranges. You can look at a similar graph to your Florida locale and compare. I

As for "yeah bro" and potheads -- both are represented here (pot is, after all, legalized in Denver, though only symbolically) -- but it's not everyone by any means.

As for traffic, my experience is that it's similar to other cities in the US of its size. If you're accustomed to driving in a big city on the east or west coast, you'll find it tame. If you're more accustomed to small cities, then it will seem bad.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,731,514 times
The number one thing that I don't like about Denver is the lack of humidity... I hate having to constantly put on lotion and chapstick. I wish that the grass stayed green here during the winter- I hate seeing the brown for 6 months.

Overall, though, I really like Denver and don't have too many major complaints.

I think it's funny to see people complain about Denver drivers. There are bad drivers in every major city. I just got back from the San Francisco bay area, and people there drive the same way there that they do here.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM

380 posts, read 1,133,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Not if you want to go to the mountains. Then you're screwed.
True. However, trips to the mountains are special events not everyday travel. I rarely go to the mountains alone. Like trips home they take a little planning. For everyday needs; to and from work (or job hunting as the case is now), shopping, entertainment, restaurants, exercise, dates, meeting friends (like the happy hour group), the bus and rail system have never failed to get me where I need to go. Denver has an excellent public system. It is professional, clean, and safe. If everyone parked their cars just one day a week it would help the environment, traffic, and the city. I just hope RTD can make it though this horrible economy without major cuts in service or growth.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM

152 posts, read 572,326 times
A few things I dislike about Denver.

But first. The blower thingie in DIA. I laughed about the guy waiting for the money to start blowing so he could catch it. That's what I thought too.

So, things I dislike

1) I'm with others on prox. to other cities. Some people could care less, but I enjoy a good long weekend getaway to some place other than the mountains.

2) I don't like how the Denver area looks dead in the winter. Everything is just brown. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good snow capped rocky mountain like the rest of em', but aside from that, it's pretty dull. I suppose the spring, fall and summer make up for the dull winter though. (visually that is)

3) Freeways are horrible. Potholes, loud, etc... I've been spoiled though with Phx freeways with the rubberized asphalt. I realize that due to the age and weather conditions here, this may be as good as it gets.

4)Lack of any really nice resorts

5) No A/C in many older homes. I about died this past summer and I'm used to 115 deg heat, lived with it all my life.

That's all I got... I'm really starting to like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or