U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM

965 posts, read 862,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashee View Post
Again, I drive mostly downtown.

Drive around downtown and around Speer--I promise you you will not see anyone driving anything close to 50 mph.
You should specify if you're only talking about downtown. Denver is around 155 square miles. Downtown takes up, what, 3 or 4 of those at most?

Downtown speeds will be the slowest in the city. See my light timing comment above. The density of cars is also greater, plus there are pedestrians to deal with.

I live downtown and have driven Speer Blvd. for over a decade. I've seen plenty of people driving 50 mph on it - admittedly far less than other larger arteries in Denver though (due to is location).

Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM

965 posts, read 862,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Maybe i'm missing out on something, and maybe it's just the recession, but I feel like Denver is really lacking in job opportunites and other opportunities. It seems like the way to make it around here is to struggle into a good job and work hard. There seems to be very limited entrapanuerial opportunites here and not much easy money. In other cities, it seemed like great opportunites would just come to me effortlessly, but out here you really have to be a go-getter to get anything accomplished at all. It seems that way to me at least. I know lot of people who are having a really, really hard time making decent oney here. Where is the $$$ at in this city???
I can't speak to starting a business, but Denver's job market is relatively strong. Accoroding to the Department of Labor, the Denver metro area unemployment rate in Nov '08 was 5.9% (Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area). If you look over the data, you'll see that's better than most.

Quote:
Also, it seems like there are a lot of very uneducated people here. I always meet people who can barely put a sentence together and just have a really rough vibe.
Um, the most recent Forbe's rankings list Boulder as the most educated city in America. Fort Collins comes in 10th. Pretty much every list of most educated metro areas I've seen has Denver in the top 10. Also, Colorado has the highest ACT and SAT scores for highschoolers in the nation. I guess that does not speak to how stupid the stupid are, but pretty much every measure show's Denverites are very well educated.

Last edited by ramanboy33; 01-18-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
I would imagine that in most downtown's of any size city the drivers drive differently then they do on the parkways out in the burbs.....

Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Here are a couple more complaints I would like to add. There's nothing wrong with bringing up valid complaints people, lets see it happen No place is perfect, including Denver, so lets talk about it.

Maybe i'm missing out on something, and maybe it's just the recession, but I feel like Denver is really lacking in job opportunites and other opportunities. It seems like the way to make it around here is to struggle into a good job and work hard. There seems to be very limited entrapanuerial opportunites here and not much easy money. In other cities, it seemed like great opportunites would just come to me effortlessly, but out here you really have to be a go-getter to get anything accomplished at all. It seems that way to me at least. I know lot of people who are having a really, really hard time making decent oney here. Where is the $$$ at in this city???

Also, it seems like there are a lot of very uneducated people here. I always meet people who can barely put a sentence together and just have a really rough vibe. Lots and lots of people that I can only describe as "creeps". They aren't really violent, but they just look deranged and dysfunctional, usually loopy on drugs with a dark and strange attitude. A lot of thuggishness and tough guy attitudes too, and around here it just seems sooooo unnecessary. We are not in a dangerous city, there's no need to act like that.

Come on people, just say what you're thinking. I think that a lot of people are afraid to say anything negative sometimes. Try it, it's fun. Being politically correct and polite is so over rated. I think a lot of American people take their political correctness and politeness way too far actually to the point that it's fake, but that's a whole other topic.
You know, a lot of your original posts were OK, but this one is nonsense!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM

4,425 posts, read 7,117,949 times
This is a funny thread... OP is looking for negatives for constructive criticism, and some people take it personally. But the best is one post commenting on not liking one thing (humidity) and the very next saying that's something they like.

I don't live in Denver (yet), but growing up in WY I spent a good bit of time there for recreation. I like the Theaters, think driving there is better than most other cities (have 1 year in Seattle, 3 in DC/Baltimore, 1 in Phoenix and 4 more in Atlanta for comparison). I love the arid climate, beats the east cost hands down for me.

What I don't like? 16th street mall was a HUGE let down in 2004 when I took my wife there, it was a Much cooler place in the late 80's and early 90's when I was in my late teens and early 20's. Thankfully, there are Plenty of other walkable districts that we do like.

There are a large number of people who bring the "That's not the way we did it back home, so that's not the way I'm going to do it here" attitude. I suspect this is the reason that Californians are pretty much universally disliked (or have been everywhere I've lived and visited in this country). Sorry to those of you who don't fit that mold, but those before you have left a nasty taste in everyone's mouths. The reason Denver is the way it is, is due to the fact that things are done differently here than where you came from (not picking on CA exclusively, people from all over have that mental hangup).

What else that's not just city related... can't think of anything.

Remember perspective. My wife and I are 3~4 months out from moving to Denver because it's much easier to get in and out of. Our perspective is based on living in a town of 7,000 in the middle of Wyoming. We're looking forward to the SHORT drives for entertainment, food and shopping (though not the longer drives for outdoor activities ~ I'm a 15 mile drive and a 30 minute hike from the Wilderness boundary).

Thanks to those who have posted though, I can easily discount them as being not applicable to myself and my wife. Kinda the point to this post, and further justification for picking the greater Denver area for our next residence.

Cheers!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM

380 posts, read 1,133,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
This is a funny thread... OP is looking for negatives for constructive criticism, and some people take it personally. But the best is one post commenting on not liking one thing (humidity) and the very next saying that's something they like.

I don't live in Denver (yet), but growing up in WY I spent a good bit of time there for recreation. I like the Theaters, think driving there is better than most other cities (have 1 year in Seattle, 3 in DC/Baltimore, 1 in Phoenix and 4 more in Atlanta for comparison). I love the arid climate, beats the east cost hands down for me.

What I don't like? 16th street mall was a HUGE let down in 2004 when I took my wife there, it was a Much cooler place in the late 80's and early 90's when I was in my late teens and early 20's. Thankfully, there are Plenty of other walkable districts that we do like.

There are a large number of people who bring the "That's not the way we did it back home, so that's not the way I'm going to do it here" attitude. I suspect this is the reason that Californians are pretty much universally disliked (or have been everywhere I've lived and visited in this country). Sorry to those of you who don't fit that mold, but those before you have left a nasty taste in everyone's mouths. The reason Denver is the way it is, is due to the fact that things are done differently here than where you came from (not picking on CA exclusively, people from all over have that mental hangup).

What else that's not just city related... can't think of anything.

Remember perspective. My wife and I are 3~4 months out from moving to Denver because it's much easier to get in and out of. Our perspective is based on living in a town of 7,000 in the middle of Wyoming. We're looking forward to the SHORT drives for entertainment, food and shopping (though not the longer drives for outdoor activities ~ I'm a 15 mile drive and a 30 minute hike from the Wilderness boundary).

Thanks to those who have posted though, I can easily discount them as being not applicable to myself and my wife. Kinda the point to this post, and further justification for picking the greater Denver area for our next residence.

Cheers!
I moved down from Sheridan Wyoming seven months ago and it was the BEST move of my life! You will love it here.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Well, I don't think it's all constructive criticism. Saying there are too many unedcated people here is ridiculous considering, as someone else countered, that this is one of the most educated cities in the country. The comments about light rail from the OP indicate a total lack of awareness of the FasTracks program in place to build a light rail system. In general, I like these "see ourselves as others see us" type of threads, b/c we can all get a little too complacent. But you have to be within the bounds of reality.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,848,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I don't think it's all constructive criticism. Saying there are too many unedcated people here is ridiculous considering, as someone else countered, that this is one of the most educated cities in the country. The comments about light rail from the OP indicate a total lack of awareness of the FasTracks program in place to build a light rail system. In general, I like these "see ourselves as others see us" type of threads, b/c we can all get a little too complacent. But you have to be within the bounds of reality.
I did not know about the FastTracks program, just like a lot of other people out there don't know about it. Which is why a thread like this is good because information about things like that is shared.

As for the uneducated people thing. I know that there are a lot of college degree holders here. But it seems like there are also a lot of people on the totally opposite end of the spectrum too. There are a lot of people here who just act rough and crazy, and they speak in very bad English. I'm not talking about ghetto people, but more like trashy people. Compared to other places i've lived, I see it a lot more here. But I guess a lot of you all avoid this side of society because you just drive everywhere you go.

Your view of Denver will be determined by where you came here from. I just came here from living overseas, so I had some big culture shock coming back. If you came here from some other Middle-American town, your perspective would be very different than mine.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,774 times
north aurora is the only thing I don't like about denver, as a whole.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 PM

33 posts, read 197,333 times
Nice cool city to live in Does'nt have big city problems like horrible traffic (I went to LA, it took 1.5 hours to cover 20 miles!). But the activity here is limited. There is not much things to do, apart from going to movies and restaurents....downtown could have been much better...but overall I give Denver a thumbs up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or