Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM

90 posts, read 368,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
First snow in October, sometimes true, but the nighttime cold weather can definitely show up! Last snow in April.........not necessarily, sometimes in May! I've got video and photos of a snowstorm in May, when we lived there. Boy, cory81, it sure sounds like you HATE Denver! If it weren't for the winters there, we might still be living there. Yes, we liked it and liked it a lot!

Originally Posted by cory81
Things that suck about Denver:

long winters (first snow in October, last snow in April = sucks)
I hate Denver, I just like the people when they aren't in their cars!

Denver has a lot of good qualities and I can see how a certain person would love it here. It's just not a good fit for me. I like driving fast, milder winters and lots of trees. Three strikes and I'm out, here in ole Denver! I do like the sunshine here though, it's a great sunshine state. The people are also very nice, they just completely suck at stopping at red lights and going quick and efficiently on highways (or regular streets even).

And no, Denver metro is not diverse at all. The city itself is and Aurora is, but go anywhere outside the city proper and it's whiter than the moon everywhere else, relatively speaking. Go to the east coast mid-Atlantic and you'll know what I mean right away.

And to the guy who said I inferred it's a bad thing to have lots of white people, that isn't the point I made. The point I made is I came from a culture where people of different backgrounds mixed regularly and naturally, and the Denver area (with exception to the city) has NOTH-ING like that at all. It was so white here that even I - a white guy - felt uncomfortable with how many OTHER white people it had when I first got here. Made me wonder how my buddies would mix in a community so unaccustomed to people of different ethnicities being important fixtures in their community.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:38 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
You should still visit the Mall, but it really is underwhelming. I can't think of a single thing along the Mall itself that I can't do or get anywhere else in the city. I do like a few places in the general vicinity of the Mall, however, like:
  • Riverfront Park
  • the "flagship" REI store at 15th and Platte
  • cafes, shops along Platte street
  • businesses, restaurants, bars along Larimer, Blake, Market, Wynkoop, and Wazee streets (these streets do intersect the mall and offer more interesting options than the mall itself, in my opinion)

Also, other areas in the city that I like to go, certainly not an exhaustive list:
  • 17th Avenue (east of Broadway, west of York)
  • City Park
  • Oblio's Pizza (it's in the little downtown area at 22nd an Kearney Street in Park Hill)
  • 44th and Tennyson (berkeley neighborhood 'downtown' area)
  • 32nd and Lowell (highlands 'downtown' area)
  • Cherry Creek North (i know, i know. i do like it though!)
  • area around DU (University and Evans)
  • South Broadway (specifically south of, say, 3rd Ave and north of Alameda)
  • area around 13th and Pennslyvania in Cap Hill (i get lunch and coffee here sometimes)
  • the dazbog (coffee) in Congress Park (1200 Clayton?) - I like the patio - more of a neighborhood feel
  • shops and restaurants on old south pearl street
Thanks a load. I will look into these places. Someone also reccomended that I go to Boulder and follow one of the trails into the mountains when I asked about trips into the mountains. Does anybody know about and have any suggestions on which trails to take to get the best views of the Mountains and for a picnic?

Also I saw a picture of a very quaint cool kinda Old West looking little Mountain village in the photo forum. I wanted to post the picture and ask if anyone knew where it was but can't find it now and fear it was deleted. Anyway does anyone know of any such places in the mountains not too far (no more than an hour) from Denver? I would love to take a day trip to such a place for sight seeing and perhaps lunch. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM

12 posts, read 30,024 times
Question please by god explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
denver is 100000x better than la as far as sprawl. Its pretty much a big square that trails a little bit up and down the 25 to other metro areas. La has to contour to natural land features and is a nightmare of roads and freeways that have little rhyme or reason to their design(especially older interchange design). Denver has some clear cut housing areas and a few solid job centers while la again has no rhyme or reason anymore other than oil being centered in carson/south bay.

So yea, i dont think denver has a sprawl problem. Maybe coming from someone from a small town they may think that, but coming from the nastiest sprawl in the us, it doesn't have a problem.

My biggest beef is the negative feeling towards californians. Dont get it too much in person(infact every neighborhood i visited was lovely and full of nice people when i managed to talk to some), but over the web its in your face all the time. Perhaps some of that beef should be with the transplants that created the problem as well
im a cali and can only read in disbelief the utter distain for cali's....why the hell is this ? My pioneer history.....euro and canadians to michigan 1900s, parents and i were born there....folks move to cali in the 60s ...grew up in la ...lived in colo in the 80s {ski bumming ]then back to mammoth..got my education , worked in so cal and arizona..looked at texas and their distain is blatant....and colo has this disease?....what logical conclusions can be reached other than bitter pinhead ignorange? Please enlighten me....

Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
galounger: not to sound vague but pretty much head west from denver and you'll lots of small little mining towns and beautiful spots for lunch. If you don't want to go too far out head to Red Rocks park and amphitheater. You'll get great mountain and cityskyline views. Definitely head into Boulder. Pearl St is kind of like 16th in Denver but less tourist oriented. Drive past Boulder and head to Nederland. cool town. or go west from Denver, head to blackhawk to see a "modern" mining town. Even if you're not into gambling its pretty cool to do the drive there and just when you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.... I definitely recommend walking around near the Ballpark/Blake/Market 16th areas. I also recommend the Capitol Hill area. We really do have a nice capitol building and surrounding area.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsivqtluh View Post
im a cali and can only read in disbelief the utter distain for cali's....why the hell is this ? My pioneer history.....euro and canadians to michigan 1900s, parents and i were born there....folks move to cali in the 60s ...grew up in la ...lived in colo in the 80s {ski bumming ]then back to mammoth..got my education , worked in so cal and arizona..looked at texas and their distain is blatant....and colo has this disease?....what logical conclusions can be reached other than bitter pinhead ignorange? Please enlighten me....
Don't worry too much about it. It's not contagious, and only a few have it.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
I don't like losing all the prairie around the outskirts of the Denver area to development. People can argue about green belts and growth boundaries all they want...but it's a shame to have to travel so far to get outside the city. The trip from Denver to Boulder looks nothing like how I (admittedly vaguely) remember it as a kid.

I don't like the way the Auraria campus is so segregated from Downtown. There's a golden opportunity there to integrate the schools' functionally and aestheticism using architecture, design and planning, but it just doesn't seem to be happening (in spite of the new buildings that are supposed to be going up soon.) Speer and Cherry Creek form a barrier that I wish we could surmount without affecting their function and form too much (some pedestrian bridges, maybe? Kind of a cool feature of DU.)

I'm not sure I like how the Union Station project is going...low cost is fine but if we're going to have to pay for it in the future, maybe some things should be done right in the first place. Being a terminus station, separating LRT from Commuter from Amtrak, not really using the interior of that beautiful Beaux Arts building...but, all in all, I'm willing to give it a chance.

I don't like that there's no major grocery store downtown.

I don't like that there used to be streetcars/trams, but not anymore (I do like our bus system, however.)

I'm pretty sure I like the sound of "Coors Brewing" better than "MillerCoors", regardless of how I feel about the former's politics =D

I dislike that it doesn't rain just a little more often. Droughts, you know.

I don't like that "The Spire" is called "The Spire." I always expect there to be...well, you know...a spire at the top.

I'm kind of nitpicky, I guess ^_^

Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 AM

36 posts, read 85,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
[*]Too many dogs everywhere.
well, at least animals have a place to roam. but yeah, everybody just seems to be obsessed with their dogs

Quote:
[*]Too much self-congratulatory hype about the city in general which attracts people like yourself thinking Denver is the next Austin or Seattle or whatever, end up getting disillusioned when it doesn't meet your unrealistic tastes/standards and then complaining on forums like this. Denver's a fine city, but I wish it acted a little more realistically.
i had very high expectations of Denver, but the city has exceeded most of them. I really don't know where you have to move from to be disappointed with Denver and Colorado living.

Quote:
[*]At the same time, Denver/ the state of Colorado isn't doing much to encourage new business to relocate to the state, and thus a lot of jobs/potential jobs are leaking out to bigger cities with more muscle on one hand (like Chicago) or smaller cities with better tax incentives, lower costs, etc (like Albuquerque, SLC, Boise, etc). Together with the previous point this is an extremely annoying combination. The cockiness needs to end; Denver needs to get back to the basics.
This is a real problem. There are just VERY FEW large companies in Denver (and with Qwest leaving town, the number will be even smaller), so there are not enough good (i.e. challenging and high-paying) jobs. The city is trying to do something about it, but it looks like an uphill battle.

My (admittedly short) list of things that I dislike about Denver:
- very bad drivers causing way too many accidents on the roads. I thought that East coast drivers were bad, but compared to drivers in Colorado they are really good and safe, actually.
- lack of high paying jobs, esp outside of tech and healthcare sectors
- sushi are expensive
- roads could be better, but compared to I-95 in Bronx they are in great shape.

I am sure I am missing something else, but I really enjoy living here that I tend to forget any bad stuff that happens sometimes.

Last edited by makay855; 04-29-2010 at 01:08 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I don't like losing all the prairie around the outskirts of the Denver area to development. People can argue about green belts and growth boundaries all they want...but it's a shame to have to travel so far to get outside the city. The trip from Denver to Boulder looks nothing like how I (admittedly vaguely) remember it as a kid.

I don't like the way the Auraria campus is so segregated from Downtown. There's a golden opportunity there to integrate the schools' functionally and aestheticism using architecture, design and planning, but it just doesn't seem to be happening (in spite of the new buildings that are supposed to be going up soon.) Speer and Cherry Creek form a barrier that I wish we could surmount without affecting their function and form too much (some pedestrian bridges, maybe? Kind of a cool feature of DU.)

I'm not sure I like how the Union Station project is going...low cost is fine but if we're going to have to pay for it in the future, maybe some things should be done right in the first place. Being a terminus station, separating LRT from Commuter from Amtrak, not really using the interior of that beautiful Beaux Arts building...but, all in all, I'm willing to give it a chance.

I don't like that there's no major grocery store downtown.

I don't like that there used to be streetcars/trams, but not anymore (I do like our bus system, however.)

I'm pretty sure I like the sound of "Coors Brewing" better than "MillerCoors", regardless of how I feel about the former's politics =D

I dislike that it doesn't rain just a little more often. Droughts, you know.

I don't like that "The Spire" is called "The Spire." I always expect there to be...well, you know...a spire at the top.

I'm kind of nitpicky, I guess ^_^

People please major cities dont have large grocery chains downtown. Thats what markets are for.

Why???

Because it makes no sense to have a major store downtown. Like people who live downtown walk to a safeway looking for bluk! No! They walk to the market for a few things thats how it works. Think about it. Its easier to drive to a safeway 10 minutes away living downtown then relocate your car several blocks.

So anybody who complains about not having a major gorcery chain downtown hasnt had much experience living in a cities core.

No Safeway in downtown SF
Safeway - Store-Locator

Never saw a major grocery store in Manhattan's upper East side when I stayed there a summer. Lots of markets though.

In fact lots of citiy cores I lived in have a safeway or major grocery always close to downtown but never in its CBD. Its like people here want a major store in Denver's CBD , which is crazy. Where would that go and does anybody think safeway will pay that high sqaure footage to be in a CBD with no demand for bulk groceries???

Yeah. Like people not living downtown would go to a downtown Denver safeway. But then again neither would people downtown.

The safeway and king soopers in Denver are just fine. Not too far for CBD folks to make a quick drive and get their bulk groceries and not to far from the burbs folks. If you live downtown then your probably walking thats what a market is for FYI

END Rant

Last edited by D-town 720; 04-29-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Sorry, D-Town. I suppose I misspoke there. Didn't necessarily mean a major grocery store, but I am curious, are there affordable markets around downtown Denver that can cover those basic needs?

Also, what if you live in LoDo or CapHill and don't own a car? Just wondering what kind of options carless people generally use in those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
People please major cities dont have large grocery chains downtown. Thats what markets are for.

Why???

Because it makes no sense to have a major store downtown. Like people who live downtown walk to a safeway looking for bluk! No! They walk to the market for a few things thats how it works. Think about it. Its easier to drive to a safeway 10 minutes away living downtown then relocate your car several blocks.

So anybody who complains about not having a major gorcery chain downtown hasnt had much experience living in a cities core.

No Safeway in downtown SF
Safeway - Store-Locator

Never saw a major grocery store in Manhattan's upper East side when I stayed there a summer. Lots of markets though.

In fact lots of citiy cores I lived in have a safeway or major grocery always close to downtown but never in its CBD. Its like people here want a major store in Denver's CBD , which is crazy. Where would that go and does anybody think safeway will pay that high sqaure footage to be in a CBD with no demand for bulk groceries???

Yeah. Like people not living downtown would go to a downtown Denver safeway. But then again neither would people downtown.

The safeway and king soopers in Denver are just fine. Not too far for CBD folks to make a quick drive and get their bulk groceries and not to far from the burbs folks. If you live downtown then your probably walking thats what a market is for FYI

END Rant

Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM

21 posts, read 34,083 times
I'm sure that what I am complaining about has been said before. Denver, CO is great, what sucks about it?

Winter, it gets cold enough, the plus side, the sun shines and melts the snow away. Snow is no fun, icy roads are no fun.

Radio in Colorado is poor as far as selection, and variety. Its like every station plays the same songs over and over. I've lived in other places where radio is much better.

Traffic is brutal in the metro area. Colorado roads are in bad condition. Not to mention idiot know it all drivers. They are both natives, and out of staters that can't drive. NJ drivers are the worst I've ever seen.

Denver is an isolated city from everywhere else. If you want to leave, its better to fly. Driving anywhere will take forever.

Colorado appears to be a land of extremes as far as politics these days, I guess everywhere. Both sides hate each other, thats not cool. The far left thinks the other side is stupid, and the far right thinks the liberals are un-American. Your both un-American.

Sorry for the rant above, maybe I should;ve posted somewhere else. Overall not alot to complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver