Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Since I was the one who first posted about the isolation, allow me to expalin what I meant, since it apparently wasn't obvious in the post. I have no desire to visit another city just to visit, although I do enjoy seeing other places when we go to visit friends, etc. When I lived in Champaign, IL, I was 2 1/2 hrs from Chicago and went there rarely, and then usually on business. I'm talking about being far from family, especially when they needed help. Also, as a friend from Connecticut was saying as well, it's hard to get them to come out there. They say (which is true) that if we go out there, we can see a number of people, whereas if they come here, it's just us and them. To those of you who haven't experienced these problems, I say you're lucky.
This is true for me, also.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
I actually think we are less isolated, we are in the middle of the country thus its a quick flight to anywhere we want to go. Not true with people in San Diego, sure they can dive to LA but to want to travel to most places they have a long flight. Same with Florida or the north east, sure you can drive to the close cities but to want to visit other parts of the country is a long flight.

Also, Colorado has the most diverse area in a short drive from Pueblo, south west flair, to Colorado Springs, military city, to Denver, large metro area, to Fort Collins, nice college town, all in 150 miles. That does not even account the I-70 or highway 50 corridors. Sure population wise it might be only a few million but population is not everything.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 PM

351 posts, read 645,691 times
I don't like how the airport is, arguably, in Kansas.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM

But it is a nice airport! And it did give Denver more room to expand, something that city lacks....

Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
For those of us on the west side, it takes a lot longer now.

There was an article in the Sunday Post about how people are getting burned out on air travel, period. Be there two hours early, be treated like cattle (if not worse), etc. I especially do not like the system at DIA of going down the escalators to the trains, then into the trains like a bunch of livestock, then back up the escalators to your gate, etc, etc. Try doing that with little kids to supervise and/or carry around.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:

There was an article in the Sunday Post about how people are getting burned out on air travel, period. Be there two hours early, be treated like cattle (if not worse), etc. I especially do not like the system at DIA of going down the escalators to the trains, then into the trains like a bunch of livestock, then back up the escalators to your gate, etc, etc. Try doing that with little kids to supervise and/or carry around.
Good thing Frontier flies out of concourse A and I can skip the big security checkpoint and the train.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
Quote:

And when I went through the airport last Sunday going through the walkway to Concourse A at the security they had this new line I've never seen before where you walk into this "air puff" machine as an alternative to the normal metal detector. I have no clue what the heck that thing is, all I know is it sounded pretty scary. It looks like you're walking into a gas chamber.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
And when I went through the airport last Sunday going through the walkway to Concourse A at the security they had this new line I've never seen before where you walk into this "air puff" machine as an alternative to the normal metal detector. I have no clue what the heck that thing is, all I know is it sounded pretty scary. It looks like you're walking into a gas chamber.
I felt like I was on star trek when i went through one lol

"Beam me up Scotty!"

Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I wonder if the air is supposed to blow any explosive chemicals off your clothes so they can be detected by sensors.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 AM

541 posts, read 1,220,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Sure population wise it might be only a few million but population is not everything.
I almost find this statement humerous. Denver is one of the largest cities in the United States. To call is "small" is almost laughable. Mind you, I'm not laughing at you or what you wrote. More the societal compulsion to even explain that.

I think Denver is a great size for a major city. It's not so large that the roads are unnavigable. Anyone who has been to larger cities knows how monstrous traffic can be. Chicago? Dallas? Atlanta? Los Angeles? The roads are HELLACIOUS. In Denver, you don't see the massive traffic jams you see in the above cities. Things might slow down a bit, but rarely are you just stuck with no movement in sight.

Also, as an aside, I'd far rather have Estes Park as a neighboring city than another metropolitan area. I couldn't care less, for instance, about being in Philadelphia and having New York next door or vice versa. It just seems entirely redundant to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver