U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,608,144 times
Reputation: 1347

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDenver View Post
What are you talking about? I don't know who Lbear is. Man, you guys are something else. Very hostile, bitter and completely paranoid.

First off, look at the IP Address, I am currently in Washington DC. I have lived in Denver for over 25 years. I have seen everything that Denver weather has. From blizzards, tornadoes, hail storms, summer droughts and heat waves, thunderstorms and everything else Denver was to offer.

I am simply discussing Denver weather. To climatologist Denver's weather is very unpredictable and extreme. Being in Washington DC, I can say with 100% certainty that Denver's winters and summers are much more extreme and harsh. DC is Zone 8, while Denver is Zone 5. Along with the other dozens and dozens of facts and data that were shown to prove Denver is not a mild weather climate.

Anyone who has lived in Denver for over 20+ years, if they are honest, will admit that Denver weather is extreme and not as mild as some claim it is. Denver has hit records lows and highs that beat out Chicago's records. I provided the data which clearly speaks for itself. You guys are something else.
But Colorado's climate is WAAAAY more comfortable than DC's. It is constantly humid in DC--whether it's hot or cold. Summers in DC are horrendous and way more uncomfortable that they are in Denver. Winters in DC may be a few degrees warmer on average, but I can tell you from personal experience that 35 degrees in Denver feels like heaven compared to 45 degrees in DC. I mean that damp chill of a DC winter feels like hell!

If we're talking about raw temperature numbers, then yes, DC is milder than Denver. But if we're talking about comfort (and trust me, I'm much more of a warm weather person than cold weather person), then Denver beats DC by a longshot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2009, 02:24 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,739,753 times
Reputation: 4502
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Anyone who thinks it's more pleasant in D.C. in summer than in Denver is nuts! And I still say it's LBear reincarnated. He's trying to be different, but some of his text is very similar to the old persona.
Well, D.C. was built on a swamp after all, so it can get pretty darn miserable in high summer; however, it's really beautiful in the spring. I'll miss those cherry blossoms until my dying day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM
 
367 posts, read 1,175,697 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
But Colorado's climate is WAAAAY more comfortable than DC's. It is constantly humid in DC--whether it's hot or cold. Summers in DC are horrendous and way more uncomfortable that they are in Denver. Winters in DC may be a few degrees warmer on average, but I can tell you from personal experience that 35 degrees in Denver feels like heaven compared to 45 degrees in DC. I mean that damp chill of a DC winter feels like hell!

If we're talking about raw temperature numbers, then yes, DC is milder than Denver. But if we're talking about comfort (and trust me, I'm much more of a warm weather person than cold weather person), then Denver beats DC by a longshot.
I guess these palm trees in the DC area don't think it's that cold.

Sterling, VA:


Alexandria, VA:


Alexandria, VA:


Washington, DC:


Washington DC:




These palms unprotected would never survive a Colorado winter.

But I do agree that a humid 40 degree day in DC feels colder than a dry 40 degree Denver day. Thanks to humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
 
17 posts, read 47,151 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
I guess these palm trees in the DC area don't think it's that cold.

Sterling, VA:


Alexandria, VA:


Alexandria, VA:


Washington, DC:


Washington DC:




These palms unprotected would never survive a Colorado winter.

But I do agree that a humid 40 degree day in DC feels colder than a dry 40 degree Denver day. Thanks to humidity.
THANK YOU! As I mentioned before, Denver winters would destroy most of the vegetation that DC has. Good luck with planting a tropical plant in Denver that is not indoors or completely covered in a bubble during winter.

DC is Zone8 while Denver is Zone5. That is the USDA official zones. Any attempt to update those zones using data from only the last 10-20 years is an attempt to ride the GLOBAL WARMING BUS. Al Gore loves manipulating data that he picks and chooses to make it appear the planet is in dire straits and warming uncontrollably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,561 posts, read 5,008,106 times
Reputation: 2223
Extreme is definately LBEAR---NO QUESTION ABOUT THAT...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM
 
17 posts, read 47,151 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
it's really beautiful in the spring. I'll miss those cherry blossoms until my dying day.


Nothing beats a DC spring. Gorgeous.

DC gets A LOT more rain than Denver does. Denver is a high-desert and I remember seeing pictures and talking with people who said that towns like Arvada, Westminster, and other older towns looked like the plains of DIA. It is because of mankind and their attempts to change the topography of the area. If left to nature itself, Denver would resemble the sand and plains of DIA.

If I had to live out west again, I would probably live in Albuquerque or Flagstaff. Denver was just too extreme in its weather patterns. Denver CAN be mild but there is no doubting that Denver is part of an extreme fluctuating climate. 75 one day, the next it's 10 and snowing, then back to 70 the next day and the fourth day you might get a tornado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,561 posts, read 5,008,106 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDenver View Post
Nothing beats a DC spring. Gorgeous.

DC gets A LOT more rain than Denver does. Denver is a high-desert and I remember seeing pictures and talking with people who said that towns like Arvada, Westminster, and other older towns looked like the plains of DIA. It is because of mankind and their attempts to change the topography of the area. If left to nature itself, Denver would resemble the sand and plains of DIA.

If I had to live out west again, I would probably live in Albuquerque or Flagstaff. Denver was just too extreme in its weather patterns. Denver CAN be mild but there is no doubting that Denver is part of an extreme fluctuating climate. 75 one day, the next it's 10 and snowing, then back to 70 the next day and the fourth day you might get a tornado.
Heck why not just move to Prescott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
 
17 posts, read 47,151 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Extreme is definately LBEAR---NO QUESTION ABOUT THAT...
I never knew that paranoia is so prevalent in Denver. Are you making the claim that anyone who disagrees with someone about Denver's weather is this Lbear person? Man, they must have really scarred you that you see this Lbear person everywhere you turn.

Might wanna get some meds for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Heck why not just move to Prescott
Check my IP Address, Sherlock, I am located in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,561 posts, read 5,008,106 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDenver View Post
I never knew that paranoia is so prevalent in Denver. Are you making the claim that anyone who disagrees with someone about Denver's weather is this Lbear person? Man, they must have really scarred you that you see this Lbear person everywhere you turn.

Might wanna get some meds for that.
Seriously dude, your'e not fooling any one on here--and you have used that meds come back on the econonomy threads--ya need to get some fresh material --you and your Wal-Mart thermometor..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,561 posts, read 5,008,106 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDenver View Post
I never knew that paranoia is so prevalent in Denver. Are you making the claim that anyone who disagrees with someone about Denver's weather is this Lbear person? Man, they must have really scarred you that you see this Lbear person everywhere you turn.

Might wanna get some meds for that.



Check my IP Address, Sherlock, I am located in DC.
Ya, I live in Newport Beach very part time myself as well. so what does that prove--

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-01-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top