U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,518,748 times

Advertisements

On Monday, January 20, 1986, in cities and towns across the country people celebrated the first official Dr. Martin Luther King Day, the only federal holiday commemorating an African-American. The year before, Mrs. Wilma Webb, wife of Wellington Webb Denver’s first black Mayor, announced that Denver would have the first ever Marade a word created by merging the words March & Parade. This year marked the 24th annual MLK Marade which started at the ‘I Have a Dream Memorial’ in City Park.

The new monument, was created by local artist Ed Dwight, and feature a bronze MLK statue on a three-layer pedestal supported by bronze representations of Rosa Parks, Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass and Gandhi. The 5K march goes down Colfax Avenue and ended downtown at Civic Center Park. Denver’s march is the second largest in the country, Atlanta’s is typically the largest.

I have entered photos of some of the structures from my walk through Capitol Hill and along the marade route.

City Park is quiet one hour before:

The neighborhood around City Park is slowly changing with new development, most is low rise, but these midsize condos were just finished in late 2008. You can see the old in the front of the pic.

The diversity was grand, love this American Indian’s hat:

Cleo of the Cleo Parker Robinson dance studio:

Many war veterans were in attendance:

[

Part of the monument in City Park reflects back on the past:

Buffalo Soldiers:

Since our governor and mayor are in D.C. for the inauguration, other city dignitaries lock arms and lead the marade:

Denver

East High School in the background, circa 1930, modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia:

[

Denver Police were trying to recruit new members to the police force with their new corvettes and pimped out squad cars. This one had a huge booming system and hydraulics aiding it to jump a few feet off the ground. Not sure if practical but attention getters:

Temps have been in the 70s, warm in Denver for January:

This little fella was being interviewed by a local TV station and was explaining his sign incredibly well. I caught his comments and when the interviewer asked him if there was anything he wanted to add, he said, “I still don’t understand why Mr. King was killed.”

“If a man hasn’t discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Detroit, MI June 23, 1963

Hope you enjoyed!

Denver Aztec

A few other items worth mentioning as part of this weeks celebrations:

The Dream Concert will feature opera singer Denyce Graves and the 70-voice multi-ethnic Spirituals Project choir on Friday at 7 p.m. at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House at the Denver Performing Arts Center. I think tickets are $20.00 but check first.

Also, the Lamont Symphony Orchestra will also be performing Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Gates Hall at the Newman Center for Performing Arts. The concert, A Tribute to Black Pioneers in Music Performance, will feature Metropolitan Opera stars Leona Mitchell and George Shirley. The program's finale will feature the world premiere of two pieces by African-American composer Ozie Cargile II, one of which is inspired by Obama and named after his book, "The Audacity of Hope."

The concert is free, but tickets are required. Tickets can be picked up in advance at the Newman Center Box Office between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, or after 6:30 p.m. Friday.

Last edited by DenverAztec; 01-20-2009 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,714,632 times
Excellent photos and photo essay to accompany it, DenverAztec. At first I thought you had a typo... didn't realize it's actually called a "M"arade. I've never experienced that before, it looks like something that would be good to do in the future. Thanks for sharing the event with us! Unfortunately I'm locked out of giving more reps at the moment... but I owe you one (three technically).

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM

14,548 posts, read 22,412,765 times
Very nice photo thread, Denver! The best one I've seen yet.

That thread deserves you like 3 credit hours at Metro State College in Social/Behavioral.

I've never worked a job where I got MLK day off, but I did take time helping my mom get her computer set up yesterday to watch the Inauguration... I caught it just in time to watch the Oath and Speech.

So two days in a row, two historical events... linked between one man and another.

Hmmm... Denver was lookin' good, wasn't it? 70 degree weather in Denver on Monday and Washington DC faught bitter cold temps with windchill yesterday. No matter. A lot of people were in DC yesterday!

MLK and JFK had both been assassinated a few years before I was born. That's a long time to see retribution for something like that. How did MLK put it? "Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only Light can do that."

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM

2,591 posts, read 6,001,354 times
Gorgeous pictures!

We can link to this thread when posters ask about diversity in Denver, when we're trying to describe what the weather's like, when describing the area between City Park and Civic Center, etc.

Thanks for posting this.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,280,389 times
Great pictures! You really captured the event, the people, and surrounding architecture. When our boys are a bit older, we'll have to take them to the parade.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 PM

195 posts, read 728,301 times
Oh, I loved seeing the pictures of the veterans and the Buffalo Soldiers. The Buffalo Soldiers are awesome if you ever get to see them do a presentation! They can go to schools/libraries and talk about the life of a Buffalo Soldier.....

Thanks for sharing these, they are wonderful.

If anyone didn't know, there is a MLK, Jr. Library on Colfax in Aurora. It's a beautiful newer structure...

Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,544,940 times
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

This post brought tears to my eyes; memories to my mind; inspired my soul. I remember when Dr. King was killed; the crying; the rage; the riots; the fear; and eventually, slowly, the strong resolve to change, and we have...

Livecontent

Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,449,421 times
This is why I love Denver and Colorado, Diverse Architecture and Diverse people that come together for a common good. Thanks for the pics.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:45 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,518,748 times
Thank you all for the picture compliments and the added personal comments! We do live in a wonderful city, no matter the event, the time of year or the weather. Being at the event, it was an incredible feeling to be around tens of thousands of Denverites filled with happy emotions. Remembering an incredible man while welcoming in another. Fantastic day in an excellent city!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,528,204 times
Very nice Aztec!!!
It also shows some newcomers how there can be a little left-over snow (by the police car) and still, people are in short sleeve t-shirts and capris, etc. It's so sunny and wonderful...perfect day for the Marade!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or