Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,473,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The best school districts in Denver are Cherry Creek School District and Douglas County School District.
Don't be fooled by such comments. There are good and bad schools in every district. Teachers and not classroom size make the difference.

Quote:
If you've got more money, you can look in Centennial (there are amazing homes there) or Saddle Rock (near our area, but more upscale).
Change that to "if you have more money to lose." The southeast county areas have seen some of the largest depreciations lately -- and both school districts mentioned above are struggling to fund schooling in an economic climate that will never get better for them, not in the short term and not in the long term as the median buyer age increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,143,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Don't be fooled by such comments. There are good and bad schools in every district. Teachers and not classroom size make the difference.

Change that to "if you have more money to lose." The southeast county areas have seen some of the largest depreciations lately -- and both school districts mentioned above are struggling to fund schooling in an economic climate that will never get better for them, not in the short term and not in the long term as the median buyer age increases.
Sorry to disagree with you on this one. Sure there are bad schools and good school everywhere but you've got to play the odds. The odds of finding a good school are higher in CCSD or DCSD. It could have something to do with the types of people who move there (more educated, wanting their kids to get a good education), the involvement of the PTOs (ours is highly attended and VERY involved) or it could just be the quality of the superintendents. Who knows but the chances of finding a good school in either district is higher than trying to find a good block in a not-so-great district. Success depends on the kid and parent's involvement, but if you've got a smart kid and an involved parent, they are going to do better in a better rated school district. I got straight A's in school and thought I was ready for college. What I discovered was that my education was far below the level of other students at my university yet I couldn't have done anything more than I did. I took advantage of every opportunity available to me in high school but it wasn't enough. I struggled mightily my freshman year and got the first Bs and Cs of my life.

Also, the prices of homes really shouldn't matter nowadays as long as you buy a home you can afford. We all need to stop looking at houses as some sort of investment to pull from later. I did the math on an on-line calculator and let that (and not what the bank told us we could afford) determine our price range. We are not struggling to stay in our house and if we are "upside down" on our mortgage, it doesn't matter because we are not going to move for many years (if at all). There are people moving here with a lot of money who have money to buy a home in Centennial. If they can afford it and plan to stay, who cares if the depreciation is higher here? The longer you live in it, and the more you stay away from temptation to take out loans against your house, the more you will make as your mortgage becomes less and less.

Finally, Cherry Creek SD residents approved a $215M bond issue and a $14.7M override for our schools a few months ago so I'm not sure where you are getting your information from about our school district struggling to find funding. They interviewed people who don't even have kids but voted for the bond and their reasoning was that good schools mean less crime so it is to their advantage to support their school districts. Douglas County voters rejected their bond so the struggle is theirs alone.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,407,718 times
Boulder Valley, Jefferson County and Adams 12 are all excellent school districts as well. The DPS has its problems, but it's not hopeless. Many districts passed bonds this year, for ex. St. Vrain (Longmont), which is another good district. I'm not sold on all these "lists" that are out on the internet about "best" schools, but all the districts I named have high schools listed in the nation's best HS lists.

My advice would be to first find the job, then find the home that you can afford that gives you a decent commute. We can't all walk to work, but no one should set themselves up to drive ridiculous amounts of time because of a perceived "better" school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver