Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:16 PM

164 posts, read 596,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
What an immense waste of time. It's not like we're mired in the worst recession in the last 25 years or anything.
Exactly! You never hear of an accident report where it's stated "lack of speed was a factor in the crash."

Cellphone use while driving seems to be much more of a problem, but yeah, the recession trumps all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 AM

17 posts, read 64,150 times
Like I said originally I saw this story in the Post yesterday (online) and thought I'd put it up here to see people's comments. I'm actually pretty surprised at the responses. It seems that almost regardless of the original topic of a thread lousy drivers are brought up, but here on a thread specifically about slow drivers there are more people that don't think it a problem than there are people that do.

I started a thread about a month ago asking about what makes Denver Denver and there were multiple times where slow drivers were specifically mentioned. It also seems that anytime someone asks about an area to live traffic is mentioned. Strangely though here it seems that it isn't an issue.

I'm curious to here your opinions on this. I've only been to Denver once and the traffic didn't seem that bad to me, granted we didn't drive around too much.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDAirman71 View Post
I'm curious to here your opinions on this. I've only been to Denver once and the traffic didn't seem that bad to me, granted we didn't drive around too much.
Therein lies the problem.

I read the article, and it seems to be directed to the mountain areas, where people get stuck behind RVs going uphill. Some rural lawmakers want to exempt farm equipment.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 64,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Therein lies the problem.
Okay maybe I should've been more clear.

I don't care if the bill gets passed or not, it doesn't affect me at all. I'm more interested in the opinion of the people of Denver and/or Colorado, and as this thread has progressed, I'm interested in your opinions as to why it seems that it is such a "popular" (or maybe I should say notorious) topic of discussion on this forum.

I'm curious about the city of Denver and it's people. I'm not trying to stir anything up, I just want to know what their thinking. I enjoy reading here to get a look into Denver, as I can't be there.

Thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
So, am I reading this right.... ?
No. You read it wrong, as did most who posted in here. Read the thread title and spare us your opinions about the economy. There's a nice depression/real estate/doom and gloom thread for that.

Driving slow in the fast lane!!!!!!!!!!! There again! I agree with the OPs post and am giving my thoughts on the thread at hand. I have no clue what everybody else is ranting about.

I've had no speeding tickets in a long time and have all 12 of my points and I'm a permanently sober driver. No criminal here.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
So, am I reading this right.... you admit to being a criminal, are Glad you're a criminal and think everyone who isn't out there being a criminal is a loser?

Or are you one of 'those' people who thinks speeding isn't a crime?

Just curious.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that McGowdog was JOKING!

Maybe you should check out the "living without a sense of humor" forum...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that McGowdog was JOKING!

Maybe you should check out the "living without a sense of humor" forum...
LOL! That's what I thought, too! BTW, Ed Quillen had an article about this bill in Sunday's Denver Post. You can google it if you want to read it. It was cute.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDAirman71 View Post
Like I said originally I saw this story in the Post yesterday (online) and thought I'd put it up here to see people's comments. I'm actually pretty surprised at the responses. It seems that almost regardless of the original topic of a thread lousy drivers are brought up, but here on a thread specifically about slow drivers there are more people that don't think it a problem than there are people that do.

I started a thread about a month ago asking about what makes Denver Denver and there were multiple times where slow drivers were specifically mentioned. It also seems that anytime someone asks about an area to live traffic is mentioned. Strangely though here it seems that it isn't an issue.

Just my $.02

I think that the drivers in Denver drive pretty comparibly to other metro areas our size. I just got back from the San Francisco Bay area and people there drive the same way people drive in Denver.

If you come from a smaller town, the drivers in Denver will seem fast. If you come from Chicago or New York, the drivers will seem slow. It's all a matter of perspective. Same thing goes for the traffic: alot of it depends on where you come from. I think that the traffic here can get pretty bad at times, but it's nothing like the traffic in L.A. or Chicago.

On the freeway, I typically drive with the flow of traffic. In my experience, traffic typically flows about 10 to 15 over the speed limit, depending on the time of day. Sure, we have our fair share of drivers who clog the left lane and drive under the flow of traffic, but I'm yet to drive in a city where I don't encounter this.

The problem that I see in Denver is the mixed bag of driving styles. We have lots of fast drivers and lots of "slow" drivers (the ones who drive the speed limit, if you want to call them slow). I see lots of overly-aggressive weaving, dangerous lane changes and tailgating on the highways around here as a result. I think that alot of these problems came with Denver's explosive population growth over the past few decades, and the various driving styles that accompanied people from wherever they came from.

I'd like to see more aggressive law enforcement to get these slow drivers out of the fast lane. We already have a law that states that drivers must move right when they are driving under the flow of traffic (even if they are driving the speed limit). This law however, is fruitless unless it is enforced.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
The problem that I see in Denver is the mixed bag of driving styles. We have lots of fast drivers and lots of "slow" drivers (the ones who drive the speed limit, if you want to call them slow). I see lots of overly-aggressive weaving, dangerous lane changes and tailgating on the highways around here as a result.

...I'd like to see more aggressive law enforcement to get these slow drivers out of the fast lane. We already have a law that states that drivers must move right when they are driving under the flow of traffic (even if they are driving the speed limit). This law however, is fruitless unless it is enforced.
That's one way to look at it. When I was out in the South Bay doing my trainings and recently on other business, I notice a lot of "aggressive drivers" or "people with lives who have to hurry up and get to work and go to lunch and get back to work then get home to their families".

They do drive kind of fast. But they know where they're going! Stay out of their way and stay out of the fast lane! But if you run a stop light, it's like a $386.00 ticket, right?

Now out here, you do have some folks who "have jobs to get to, etc." But the people who drive slow in the fast lane are the cause of all the tailgating and weaving. They know darn well what they're doing.

I have a theory about them; they either have this gene where they can't understand or care to look in the rear-view mirror to see how un-courteous they're being, or they are just manipulative pip-squeak controlling little blather-skites that should take the bus.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Just my $.02

I think that the drivers in Denver drive pretty comparibly to other metro areas our size. I just got back from the San Francisco Bay area and people there drive the same way people drive in Denver.

If you come from a smaller town, the drivers in Denver will seem fast. If you come from Chicago or New York, the drivers will seem slow. It's all a matter of perspective. Same thing goes for the traffic: alot of it depends on where you come from. I think that the traffic here can get pretty bad at times, but it's nothing like the traffic in L.A. or Chicago.

On the freeway, I typically drive with the flow of traffic. In my experience, traffic typically flows about 10 to 15 over the speed limit, depending on the time of day. Sure, we have our fair share of drivers who clog the left lane and drive under the flow of traffic, but I'm yet to drive in a city where I don't encounter this.

The problem that I see in Denver is the mixed bag of driving styles. We have lots of fast drivers and lots of "slow" drivers (the ones who drive the speed limit, if you want to call them slow). I see lots of overly-aggressive weaving, dangerous lane changes and tailgating on the highways around here as a result. I think that alot of these problems came with Denver's explosive population growth over the past few decades, and the various driving styles that accompanied people from wherever they came from.

I'd like to see more aggressive law enforcement to get these slow drivers out of the fast lane. We already have a law that states that drivers must move right when they are driving under the flow of traffic (even if they are driving the speed limit). This law however, is fruitless unless it is enforced.
I would add to all that, if you are in a strange (to you, I mean) town, the driviers will seem agressive. My niece experienced that when she moved to Pittsburgh. She didn't know where she was going, and she felt people were crowding her, driving too fast, etc. In reality, most Pittsburghers drive fairly tamely, though they do have some odd habits, as do the drivers in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver