U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 PM

15 posts, read 38,267 times

Advertisements

I continue to research areas for my husband and I to live in, when we make the move to Colorado sometime this year. We will probably end up in the Denver area, but I had this question...

I was recently reading on a neighborhood discussion page about certain neighborhoods and their HOA's.

1. Does EVERY neighborhood have an HOA?

2. I am also interested in the neighborhoods of Parker...seems like a nice town.

I appreciate your comments, suggestions, and advice...pro or con.

Lucyontheprairie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM

21,846 posts, read 23,076,737 times
Every neighborhood does not have an HOA. Most newer neighborhoods do however. HOA's can be good and bad - how the neighborhoods appear is a good start. Are things maintained? Also, if you find a neighborhood you like, ask around. Most people don't mind a knock on the door or a couple of questions if they are out walking....

Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 AM

592 posts, read 1,967,512 times
Hi Lucy, Which neighborhoods are you looking at ? There are many nice ones in Parker. I do not agree with the concept of HOA's , but for the most part, if you want to live here you will be in an HOA.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
Either there is an HOA, there never was and HOA, or the incorporation of the HOA has expired and was not renewed (Incorporation was for 25 years.)

Most communities built since the late 1970's do have an HOA. The master planned community was "invented" in Aurora. It is a way to share community resources, land and a shared minimum standards, all with an eye towards building value.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 38,267 times
Wyomiles,
Actually, I have looked at so many houses that I am confused as to where all these neighborhoods are located! I know we can only go up to about $225,000 (don't laugh). That probably eliminates a good portion of houses, and we sure don't want a "fixer-upper." This is all so different to me...we are used to a good bit of space around us. However, for the sake of living near our son and his family, I am willing to comprise on some things. :-)

Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,425,884 times
we researched the same price range in parker. we settled on the pinery glen neighborhood in south parker(and attempted to purchase but had problems with the sellers, so we had to postpone our move). there are houses in that range there, there is an HOA(55$/mo, very reasonable) that includes a few parks, 1 community pool and a poolhouse/rec room. also has cherry creek running right next to it, which provides some walking trails and such. we chose that area because out of the elementary schools we researched and visited in parker, we liked northeast/mountainview the most.

the other area in parker we liked was cottonwood. cheaper, older homes, but more character and bigger lots. we werent happy with the schools or some parts of the northern area of parker though, so we looked at other neighborhoods and found the one i mentioned above. not sure about hoa.

one thing to note though is that the property tax was higher in the newer areas

Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Many neighborhoods in Parker have something in that price range. Even newer ones, you just might not get very much in the way of square footage.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 12,305 times
Default Parker Communities & HOA's

Lucy, we moved to Denver three years ago and chose Parker as our dream area. South Denver is one of the fastest growing, but I caution you with the following:

1. Douglas County has one of the highest property taxes in the State.

2. Idyllwilde Community is a Village Home built community, Village Homes recently filed for bankruptcy protection. You can see all about it on their website. There were suppose to be around 600 to 800 homes completed in the buildout of this community. There are only 228 sold at this point. The HOA fees are one of the highest in the area, their are two associations, the sub-assocation and master association. Everyone belongs to the master association. You only belong to the sub-association if you choose to purchase a low-maintenance home in the community. The HOA dues for the master association only, recently (December 2008) went up from $65 per month to $108 per month, due to the fact that Village Homes can no longer cover the shortfall. I do not know what the sub-association pays, but they pay this in addition to the master association fees. The only plus side to this community is that the brand new middle school and high school are right in the front of the community with state of the art equipment that provides children of this age to be able to walk to school. The pool looks beautiful and is, however, I caution that it is only for children. No laps for adults here. There is a grand hall that has activites, but it really depends on what you are looking for with regards to community activities because they are very limited at this point and being coordinated by volunteers.

3. To my knowledge there are no communities in Douglas County that do not have HOA's.

4. Pradera is very promising and we wish we would have looked there. HOA dues are low, and the builder I believe is a national one and don't appear to be in trouble.

5. Canterberry Crossings is another place I wish we had looked at. In speaking with a couple of people who live there they appear to be very happy. I do not know what their HOA fees are and what amentities they have.

6. Castle Rock is absolutely my favorite place in Douglas County. We would have moved there except for the commute on I-25 would have been too long for us.

7. Beware of I-25 traffic if you do move South. The hours of 7am - 9am there is always a back up going North to get into the city and 4pm - 7pm can be a bear going South to get home each evening. In the evenings what should be around a 40 minute commute for me is usually around 1 hour. Also, C-470 is a toll road, we have the easy pass, but feel it's really pricey, we only use it twice a day and at $2 a pop for two cars that costs us $20 per week or around $100 per month.

8. The best mall really is Park Meadows which is down south, but can get really hectic on weekends and especially during the holidays.

Best of luck on your search.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid View Post
Lucy, we moved to Denver three years ago and chose Parker as our dream area. South Denver is one of the fastest growing, but I caution you with the following:

1. Douglas County has one of the highest property taxes in the State.

2. Idyllwilde Community is a Village Home built community, Village Homes recently filed for bankruptcy protection. You can see all about it on their website. There were suppose to be around 600 to 800 homes completed in the buildout of this community. There are only 228 sold at this point. The HOA fees are one of the highest in the area, their are two associations, the sub-assocation and master association. Everyone belongs to the master association. You only belong to the sub-association if you choose to purchase a low-maintenance home in the community. The HOA dues for the master association only, recently (December 2008) went up from $65 per month to $108 per month, due to the fact that Village Homes can no longer cover the shortfall. I do not know what the sub-association pays, but they pay this in addition to the master association fees. The only plus side to this community is that the brand new middle school and high school are right in the front of the community with state of the art equipment that provides children of this age to be able to walk to school. The pool looks beautiful and is, however, I caution that it is only for children. No laps for adults here. There is a grand hall that has activites, but it really depends on what you are looking for with regards to community activities because they are very limited at this point and being coordinated by volunteers.

3. To my knowledge there are no communities in Douglas County that do not have HOA's.

4. Pradera is very promising and we wish we would have looked there. HOA dues are low, and the builder I believe is a national one and don't appear to be in trouble.

5. Canterberry Crossings is another place I wish we had looked at. In speaking with a couple of people who live there they appear to be very happy. I do not know what their HOA fees are and what amentities they have.

6. Castle Rock is absolutely my favorite place in Douglas County. We would have moved there except for the commute on I-25 would have been too long for us.

7. Beware of I-25 traffic if you do move South. The hours of 7am - 9am there is always a back up going North to get into the city and 4pm - 7pm can be a bear going South to get home each evening. In the evenings what should be around a 40 minute commute for me is usually around 1 hour. Also, C-470 is a toll road, we have the easy pass, but feel it's really pricey, we only use it twice a day and at $2 a pop for two cars that costs us $20 per week or around $100 per month.

8. The best mall really is Park Meadows which is down south, but can get really hectic on weekends and especially during the holidays.

Best of luck on your search.
Pretty doubtful many of those neighborhoods are in the OP's price range...
C-470 is NOT a tollroad; E-470 is a tollroad any yes it is pricey for regular use (I only use to to go to the airport).

Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,301,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid View Post
Congestion on I-25 is 100% related to time of day. I drive I-25 from Castle Rock to Hampden on a daily basis in the 6:15 time frame. Commute time from founders Parkway in Castle Rock to Lincoln in Lonetree is typically 9 minutes. I get to Hampden from Castle Rock in about 17. My commute home in the 3:30 time frame is roughly the same. Commuting during peak hours and the above hour long commute times are true. If your employer will let you modify your hours then commuting is a breeze.

As for C-470, if paying cash, the tolls have now been raised to $2.50 per segment. Ouch!

Nav
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver