Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 36,690 times

Advertisements

So after doing some research, we found some homes in the Genesee area that we are interested in looking at. Can you give me any thoughts on the area? Is it too remote? It looks like it is close to the mountain bike trails and on the way to the ski hills. Is the schooling good and is there shopping nearby? I just wanted to know if it is too far to get Denver. We will be touring the area in March and just wanted to get some feedback.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Schools: Jefferson County, generally well-regarded.

Shopping: Groceries, yes. There a Wal-Mart nearby, right off I-70 between Genessee and Evergreen.

It's not too far to get to Denver, if that's where you'll be working. You do have to drive Mt. Vernon Canyon, a documented dangerous stretch of I-70.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Genesee is a very nice area, IMHO. Great views, great natural beauty all around, nice homes.

A 4wd vehicle is probably a must.

Definitely not too far from Denver.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
How much time would "too far" be?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:23 AM

10 posts, read 36,690 times
I was thinking 20 minutes or so but if there is a nearby grocery than that would be ok. I just don't want to drive 45 minutes to get to Target, etc.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
There is shopping in Evergreen & Genesee, less than 20 minutes - but to downtown Denver 40-60? Watch for the speed traps that slow things down to the city.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM

123 posts, read 524,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogfamily View Post
So after doing some research, we found some homes in the Genesee area that we are interested in looking at. Can you give me any thoughts on the area? Is it too remote? It looks like it is close to the mountain bike trails and on the way to the ski hills. Is the schooling good and is there shopping nearby? I just wanted to know if it is too far to get Denver. We will be touring the area in March and just wanted to get some feedback.
Thanks!
Keep in mind you're required to own a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus or Infiniti SUV to live in Genesee.

Quote:
Is it too remote?
Not even close to being remote enough.

Quote:
is too far to get Denver
Not even close to being far enough.

Not sure 4wd is a necessity but will make life easier on the nastier of days. That is unless you have a very steep drive or something. I commute from up above Idaho Springs to Denver every day with my 2wd mini-van. Generally if I-70 is open, its passable with 2wd and a good set of snow tires. Real snow tires, not the "all season" junk. I do have to hike up my drive if we get more than 6" or so, but it is very steep.

Other than that you're so close to the metro area that shopping shouldn't be a problem.

Tons of hiking & mt biking in the area, so you should be set on that.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:53 AM

224 posts, read 559,413 times
Quote:
So after doing some research, we found some homes in the Genesee area that we are interested in looking at. Can you give me any thoughts on the area?
I bought in the area last year and looked at a number of houses in Genessee. To me, the area seemed "cookie cutter" in the sense that all of the homes are contemporary and upper-price bracket. Also, the roads loop back and fourth on the mountain so one has to drive much further than you would expect, to get to those houses just a few miles from 70. Most of the houses don't seem to have much privacy. And I don't know this for certain, but I suspect very stringent HOA's are in place, because the area is so homogenous looking.

We ended up buying just north on the other side of I-70, on Lookout Mtn (Golden). Minimal HOA's, more privacy, more diverse neighborhoods, more affordable! Doesn't have the manicured "polish" of Genessee. Same Jeffco schools. I don't particulary like having to get on I-70 to grocery shop in Evergreen, but I'm getting used to it :-) Apex Park is right out the back door and has excellent hiking and moutain biking.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Conifer is another great option to Genesee,amazing trails ,good schools, brand new town center with one of the biggest new grocery stores along the front range--decent restaurants...It's far from cookie cutter--many homes on acreages...from simple and rustic to upscale luxury---very close to Denver area with highway 285 access...If I was to leave central Denver for the foothills--I personally would strongly consider it myself...I bring my dog up to the trails, and outdoor parks there about twice a week--takes me 35 min. from Cherry creek in non rush hour..Got a friend who lives on top of Conifer mountain, and does business in Lodo, Cherry Creek daily..then he gets to return home and look down on city lights and back range mountain vistas from his deck at night--True Colorado living..

Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 PM

291 posts, read 911,275 times
People that are new to Colorado are frquently attracted to the foothill areas because they feel that it gives them that Colorado ambience, but may get tired of the driving and realilze it's nothing more than another subdivision with extremely sloping yards. In 34 years out here, I've seen many people who move to those foothill communities move back into the city as it just wasn't their cup of tea. Others love it and you wouldn't get them to live anywhere else. I agree with the other comment about being in the western suburbs, like Golden. You could also check out Ken Caryl Ranch, which has a "mountain feel" in the Valley portion. I've got some pics of Ken Caryl in one of my albums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver