U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
WOW! Now I really have to get a bike! Any ideas of places to get safe, inexpensive bikes. I'd even like a good used one. Money is tight right now.
Years ago I was big into biking before my body gave out. I got a more expensive mountain bike at a bike stores and used it extensively. But, today good bikes are available cheaply at most stores for the casual bike enthusiast. For someone who has more of a passion and experience, a bike stores would be where they would shop.

So, just for less frequent riding, I would not spend so much money. Also, many of the trails in Denver are paved and for a beginner you will not be going on rough trails.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 03:26 AM

380 posts, read 1,133,200 times
I am shopping for a bike now. Thanks for the advise!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:08 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,008,600 times
As a native my favorite front range haunts are Mount Falcon,Walker Ranch, Switzerland Trail... road biking in Deer Creek Canyon/South Ken Caryl...and my #1 fav.. I'll never reveal because it's still relatively unknown , and I hope it stays that way....

Old 01-31-2009, 07:03 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,479,532 times
I've got to give a big thumbs up for this thread. Biking trails is the #1 factor in my top places to retire list. And Denver sure has a bunch of them!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:59 PM

Default High Line Canal

I want to continue to discuss the great trails in the Denver Metro area. Denver is a semi-arid region and consequently the earlier settlers had to built many canals to divert water. One of the largest in the area which goes through Denver is the High Line Canal. Many who know this canal consider it a great place for hiking and biking, right in our own backyards.

High Line Canal (http://www.denverwater.org/recreation/highline.html - broken link)

and a map of the extent of this great resource
http://www.denverwater.org/recreation/highline_printable.pdf (broken link)

Yes, Denver is a great place to live.

Livecontent

Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,670,324 times
And of course, what would a thread about outdoor recreation in Denver be without a link to one of my photo tours?

Cherry Creek State Park photos, Extras

Cherry Creek State Park is an oasis of nature in the middle of the sprawling southeast suburbs.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM

28 posts, read 85,527 times
Thanks for the info live...this helps a lot.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Default South Platte River Greenway

The "Main Highway" of Recreation Trails has to be the South Platte River Greenway. We do not have large bodies of water near Denver or big navigable rivers but we have The Platte and what we have, we appreciate. The Platte runs through Denver has been developed as a recreation resource:

The Greenway Foundation (http://www.greenwayfoundation.org/home/index.html - broken link)

This is a map of the section that in in Denver:

http://www.greenwayfoundation.org/home/pdf/PlatteGrnwyTrailMap.pdf (broken link).

It continues south into Chatfield Dam and is managed partly by Littleton:

Littleton Parks, Trails, and Open Space

a map through Littleton:

South Platte Park Timeline

The Platte Goes North of Denver through Adams County:

http://www.co.adams.co.us/documents/page/Concept%20Map%20-%20S.%20Platte%20Heritage%20Plan.pdf (broken link)

I consider it the main highway because numerous trails go off of the Platte, some of which I have mentioned in my previous Posts:

Bear Creek Trail
Clear Creek Trail
Cherry Creek
High Line Canal

Among others, which I have yet to discover. There does not seem to be a all inclusive map of the recreation along this Platte. I have taken my bike and gone up and done the Platte from Chatfield Dam all the way up to Commerce City. It continue on from there but I do not know how far and what is opened and/or paved. It is an amazing and easy bike ride through it all, because it is all paved. I have noticed that some commuters on the trail who use it regularly. The Platte covers all aspects of the Denver Region because it passes parks, open space, wildlife preserves, housing, industrial sites, surface reclamation, farms, pastures--it is a very enjoyable and educational experience--try it.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-02-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM

I want to revive this very popular thread that I started. I want to show how extensive the parks, trails, open space, nature preserves and recreational facilities that are available in the Denver metro area.

I ask others to contribute. I have already reviewed many places and I suggest newcomers read through the thread. You will be astounded by what is available. Some of the links may have changed or expired because it is an older thread and I will try to update them.

Today, I would like to look at the expansive open space of Jefferson County Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

Here is a map of it all http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_up...s_lightbox.pdf

What makes these sites really nice is that they are very close for recreation. Some are right within the larger cities to the west and some farther out in the foothills. The big advantage of these are that you can get to them very quickly and sometimes avoid the traffic on I-70 by going up many of canyons. Some are just down the road from residential areas and some are on bus routes.

All these parks are separate from the other large parks systems of the cities in Jefferson County and Federal and State Forest Preserves. You really have much too choose, from more sedate areas to many more remote and wild.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-06-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM

555 posts, read 1,035,271 times
thanks for bringing this thread back to life. for those who live in denver and want to experience the foothills without getting in their car, I would recommend taking their bike on the light rail to mineral station and going for a beautiful ride on the bike paths around chatfield park. if you are more ambitious you can ride up deer creek canyon and then down bear creek to morrison. i can give more specific directions or a gps track if anyone is interested.

this is one of my favorite blogs for exploring the denver area bike trails- Denver's Bike Paths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or