Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Our Broncos, who art in Denver,
Hallowed be our team...

What?! You were all thinking it...
I go to more Bronco games on Sundays then I go to church lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
This conversation is amusing to me. Some of you know who I work for, I'd rather not announce it here.

Anyway, about an hour ago I was trapped in a conference room when two co-workers decided to chat loudly about their pro-life views. I look over at my boss and we both roll our eyes. I'm thinking, what the heck?? It's not like I want the thought-police around, like (I think it was tfox?) another poster said, but jeez. You'd think they'd know better. I kept my mouth shut, but because of circumstances, I wasn't able to leave.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
Prime example WantsToStay, makes for an uncomfortable environment. I am not silent and usually just say to those having those type of discussions, "Is that topic really relevant to this moment or environment?" Of course I have been with my company forever and folks here know when to switch lanes or come to a halt when I bring reason to the table. However, not everyone can do that, especially if they are new to a company or if it is a high level manager bringing up the topic. Most just remain silent or avoid such topics and that action can speak volumes without having to police the environment. Doesn't make it right or comfortable, but picking your battles and time for one can be crucial.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
Totally agree Denver. Now, religion, ok, annoying. But I do not hesitate to call out obnoxious behavior and language (i.e. blatant racist statements, etc.). My situation was one where the best route was to just shut up.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
On the other hand, I get a bit nervous when I hear that certain topics should be "off-limits" at work, including politics or religion. The last thing I want is for "big brother" to police water-cooler conversation at work -- I think there's WAY too much of thought-police in the workplace already. The thought of workplace censorship makes me far more queasy than any annoyance I might face from the tactless exercise of free speech.
Well said. If you truly wish to have a free and open society, thought police and the like should be fought more vehemently than the most egregious violators of "decent speech." That's never the way it happens, though.

I'm not saying either are great, but I'd far rather work in an environment where I felt all were free to express their views than to be bunched up in a repressed, politically-correct (whatever that may entail depending on the environement) prison.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:01 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I work for my brother, as do about 13 to 20 other people; and he's recently become a full-blown Jesus Freak!

But I think it's great because it's caused him to lose 75 lbs, quit smoking... various things, quit gambling, quit drinking, etc... He's gotten honest and laid things on the table for his wife and kids, his parents, his brothers, friends, and even co-workers, etc. If it leads us to the land of Milk and Honey, I say Praise the Carpenter in the Sky!!!!!!!!!

But if you come at me with YOUR brand of religion and start layin' down smack about where you think I'm goin' for Eternity, I'll remind you that my name spelled backwards is GOD WogcM! And I AM Your Daddy! So gimme some sugar baby! And Hail to the KING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver