U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM

43 posts, read 103,550 times

Advertisements

Hello ,

Advice please! We live NE of Denver and love our house and view, but hate the commute to Olde Town where our son goes to school. I always wanted to live in the mountains, and we looked a little at Evergreen, but I want to be realistic about our tolerance for fightiong the snow, etc. Plus I don't think we could afford it.

Maybe it's a fantasy, but is there a neighborhood, as in, a smallish, close knit family friendly community, with a mountain vibe, that is still close to Denver, hopefully even easily commutable to Olde Town Arvada? Schools are really iffy where we live, and we love St. Anne's, but could switch to a great public school if need be. I work two days a week in downtown Denver. And I need to find a house with an apartment/ mother in law suite attached for my Mom ( main floor, separate entrance). I'm actually not sure what $$$ I would qualify for in this lending market, I make about 70K year. Also, anyone know a realtor that knows west Arvada well? Do allrealots charge the same? The two house we have purchased were new builds so no realtor, and I've always thought real estate agent commissions seemed outrageous

Thanks so much for any insight and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,705,583 times
I assume you are saying that your son goes to the Shrine of St. Anne Elementary School; that is some commute from the northeast. You can easily find nice areas to live in Arvada, along Ralston, all the way to West Arvada---all nice walkable neigborhoods. Also, Arvada is one of the first communities to allow "mother-in-law" housing. With your income, you can easily afford some very nice housing in Arvada and if prefer Ralston Valley in West Arvada.

I really do not know what you mean by "mountain vibe". Arvada does have a unique identity, having formed as a separate community and has many long term residents and natives. Arvada has some very hidden areas that are somewhat isolated and also hilly that can give you the strong impression of living in the mountains. You need to take some time to drive down some of lesser known roads in Arvada. I would suggest going up Carr which is the Arvada Hills, going west from Carr toward Majestic View Park, just south there are many isolated lanes, small ponds.

You also need to drive west on 80th past Simms and you will high overlooking the Ralston Valley. You can easily see many older neighborhoods with many horse farms. In addition, just northwest of Arvada is the little area of Leydon , north of West 72nd. and west of Indiana. This is an old mining area.

So, I do not think you have to get far from Arvada to find some unique areas. Arvada was a big farming area, most of its history, and has many remnants, still remaining; some interspersed around the older areas near West 52nd, bordering Wheat Ridge and west of Ward off of West 58th. In addition, with the horse boarding areas and cattle raising, west, you have many attributes of the western experience.

Livecontent

Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Thank you! I will look around this weekend. I love Olde Town and Arvada as a whole seems like a great community. I would love to find a "community within the community" with almost a small town feel-- everyone knows and watches out for each others kids, etc.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM

11,028 posts, read 29,786,192 times
The seller, through their listing broker pays your broker a commission for a succesful sale. Some brokers will rebate a part of their fee to you if you do some/most of the work.

I found one in Wheatridge and another in Arvada $214,000 and $220,000 for sale.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Are you a realtor?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 PM

291 posts, read 815,063 times
There really isn't a small town that's close to Old Town Arvada. You might want to check out Tennyson street, south of I-70. It isn't mountain, but it has a nice community feel. Golden would work but it's rather pricey and not a lot to choose from.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,705,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bckr View Post
There really isn't a small town that's close to Old Town Arvada. You might want to check out Tennyson street, south of I-70. It isn't mountain, but it has a nice community feel. Golden would work but it's rather pricey and not a lot to choose from.
Yes, I agree Tennyson Street in Denver has a good community feel. I live just a few miles north in the Adams County Part of Arvada and I have been down there frequently over many decades.

I have seen the changes and the neighborhood has also a nice feel to it. The street has certainly improved since Elitch's closed because that park was starting to attract some unsavory types.With the development of old Elitch's into Highland Square, there is now some nice shops ( I regularly go the Sunflower Markets) and it has stimulated the renewal of West 38th. Today, it is becoming much more expensive to live in that area.

Another area to consider that is nearby and has a also a great sense of community is just down the road on West 38th in Wheat Ridge. It has some nice shops, a King Soopers and nice little neighborhoods and it avoids the pricey gentrification around Tennyson and you have the advantages of schools in Jefferson County and you are close to the exciting Amenities in Berkeley and Highlands of Denver.

Livecontent

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 PM

I will look at these areas. One reason I was hoping for a mountain, and I should have said, rural-- feel is my husband , who grew up on a ranch in Wyoming. He is rather miserable in the city. I have given thought to moving to MT or WY, but staying here makes the most sense in so many ways. I am so hoping to find some compromise, ideally where my kids can still go to St. Anne's in Arvada ( a school we love) and I can get downtown a couple days a week. My mom lives near the old Elitches now, but would like to move in with us. That area, Highlands, etc, has a lot of advantages for us, locatrion wise, but it is too urban for hubby. Heck, we now live on the very edge of a subdivision with fields beside us and a great (albeit distant), mountain view, and I know it is still too "urban" for him! He is a great guy who has been here without much complaint for 13 years, so I will see if I can find a compromise in all this ( if we qualify for a good loan, can rent our house, etc etc--)

Thanks so much for the feedback-- I'll take any more anyone has!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 PM

2,604 posts, read 6,073,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFuller View Post
I will look at these areas. One reason I was hoping for a mountain, and I should have said, rural-- feel is my husband , who grew up on a ranch in Wyoming. He is rather miserable in the city. I have given thought to moving to MT or WY, but staying here makes the most sense in so many ways. I am so hoping to find some compromise, ideally where my kids can still go to St. Anne's in Arvada ( a school we love) and I can get downtown a couple days a week. My mom lives near the old Elitches now, but would like to move in with us. That area, Highlands, etc, has a lot of advantages for us, locatrion wise, but it is too urban for hubby. Heck, we now live on the very edge of a subdivision with fields beside us and a great (albeit distant), mountain view, and I know it is still too "urban" for him! He is a great guy who has been here without much complaint for 13 years, so I will see if I can find a compromise in all this ( if we qualify for a good loan, can rent our house, etc etc--)

Thanks so much for the feedback-- I'll take any more anyone has!
If you want to be in the mountains close to Arvada, just go up Coal Creek Canyon. It's not a "small town mountain COMMUNITY near Olde Town Arvada," that you asked for, but it is mountain living directly west of Arvada.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:17 PM

38 posts, read 139,153 times
I live in Arvada in the area previously mentioned - Ralston Valley. As someone who grew up out in the country on acreage, but who has lived in the "city" my entire adult life, I can relate to what your husband is feeling. I have to say that living out here has been much better for me - it definitely has a more rural feeling to it - horse farms, open spaces, houses on acreage. However, there are also great amenities - wonderful schools, the Apex center, etc. You should drive out here and check it out, he might love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or