Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM

39 posts, read 160,489 times

Advertisements

If you could live somewhere without worrying about commuting or about schools, with the following criteria...where would you pick?...

-Rural (horses allowed)
-Low population (1000 or less maybe)
-Dont mind about the snow, but hate the heat over 90+
-Housing prices for a 3 bd 2 ba older ranch home not to exceed 200k
-Safe (i know....nowhere is crime-free...i mean relatively safe)
-Housing plots 1+ acres
-Friendly neighbors (meaning...not cliquish)

I hope i included enough factors. I would appreciate any info
I've lived in Denver for almost a year now and love the state, but am ready to move further out, or up. I'm used to the cold having lived in other parts of the country so that is not a factor. Just looking for open spaces, kind of similar to Elizabeth but not so close to town. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
You mentioned Elizabeth but your price range is too low for what you are looking for. You could try out in Kiowa, Simla or Elbert. Those areas are also very similar to Elizabeth but are more miles out so there are not as many commuters, thus lower property costs.

If you want the real "Colorado feel" then Westcliff is a nice area. Its southwest of pueblo, but nestled in the hills with spectacular views of the San de Cristo Mountains. You can find what you are looking for in your price range there. Just google weslcliff real estate and look for local agents web sites.

Actually all you really need to do is to get a map and a compass. Set the compass so its 60 miles end to end. Draw a circle out from every metropolitan area (120 miles diameter). Anything outside that circle will have great pricing since it is outside the typical commuting ring. For ski areas, make the ring 20 miles (40 in diameter). Keep your elevation at least 6500+ feet and you wont have problems with the heat. (maybe a few days here and there but not the norm)

Nav

Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
The only place that meets your criteria will be small towns out on the eastern plains, NOT including scenic Black Forest/exurban locations like Elizabeth. I would start off looking at places like Kiowa, Strasburg, Byers, Deer Trail, etc, and then continue your search further east. You will probably have to put up with temperatures above 90 though. I'm also not sure why you posted this question in the Denver forum, when you're saying you're not commuting to Denver-- perhaps the Colorado forum would be the better place to get advice in this department.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm also not sure why you posted this question in the Denver forum, when you're saying you're not commuting to Denver-- perhaps the Colorado forum would be the better place to get advice in this department.
Just an honest mistake...thought that Denver people would have the best info. Thanks for your info.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Default Nav

Thank You Nav..I visited out that way in summer and thought it was very beautiful. I will propbably focus on that area. Have a great day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver