U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:38 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Stubbling from bar to bar and home to home for an entire weekend would not be usable data for a walkability study.

How very true Mr. Aztec...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,134,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Maybe that's true, but I don't know many people begging to walk around Millwaukee
And there are people begging to walk around Denver???

There's lots of beggers walking around Denver, if that's what you meant

Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM

I all fairness I have never been in the city limits of Millwaukee, and I am sure that it has many great attributes..I plan on visiting the city and Madison this summer..I am obviously happy with Denver, but always enjoy visiting new towns..Denver is certainly not for every one..I understand---I actually used to refer to it as Denvoid growing up--and was more than happy to leave at one time--I think it's a different place now,better town to live in--far from perfect..but pretty good for a city it's size..

Last edited by Scott5280; 02-05-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,643 times
Milwalkee, Racine, Madison, LaCross are all great places to check out. I dated someone who was born in Richland Center and had to visit this tiny farm/dairy town because it was where Frank Lloyd Wright was born. As you know, Scott, I love architecture and had to see what he built there. Did a road trip to St. Paul/Minneapolis, through WI and end up in Chicago to ditch the car. Driving into Chicago was like driving to Oz, it is so flat and the buildings glaringly stand out. FLW has many structures all over like Talieslin East (his school), the convention center in Madison and several homes in IL. Some of the best natured people in the country are in this neck of woods!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info. Aztec I always value your opinions...as I know you are well travelled...Actually it was one of your photo tours that initially started me posting on CD..Looking forward to seeing you again at the upcoming Happy Hour..going to head up to the hills now and enjoy this great afternoon before winter returns tomorrow..Catch you later..PS. Denver is the best city..there is no greater city!!..nor does it have any faults..

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,134,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I all fairness I have never been in the city limits of Millwaukee, and I am sure that it has many great attributes..I plan on visiting the city and Madison this summer..I am obviously happy with Denver, but always enjoy visiting new towns..Denver is certainly not for every one..I understand---I actually used to refer to it as Denvoid growing up--and was more than happy to leave at one time--I think it's a different place now,better town to live in--far from perfect..but pretty good for a city it's size..
If you come to Milwaukee this summer, try coming between June 25 to July 5 when Summerfest, The World's Largest Music Festival (TM), is going on. Over 1 million people attend it over the ten days it occurs. I've yet to meet a person who's attended Summerfest and still had anything bad to say about Milwaukee. Madison is a great city too, but I prefer it in the fall when the students are just coming back. Nothing beats the Halloween Party on State Street every year. 100,000 freaks and weirdos in costumes partying the night away.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:14 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
I might as well jump into the fray. After all, fools rush in where angels fear to tread, right?

While I am happy for Denver's 4th place in the walkablility study, I do think the methodology is a bit screwy. If I were desinging the the study, I would probably look at how many people live within walking distance of these "walkable" areas they discuss. People frequently remark that there is no grocery store in downtown Denver, which does make Denver a little less walkable than a city that does have such an amenity. Where do the people in LoDo grocery shop?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I might as well jump into the fray. After all, fools rush in where angels fear to tread, right?

While I am happy for Denver's 4th place in the walkablility study, I do think the methodology is a bit screwy. If I were desinging the the study, I would probably look at how many people live within walking distance of these "walkable" areas they discuss. People frequently remark that there is no grocery store in downtown Denver, which does make Denver a little less walkable than a city that does have such an amenity. Where do the people in LoDo grocery shop?
There is a Vitamin Cottage in Platte Valley or the King Soopers just south of downtown area about a mile...Ya somebody needs to build a good store there...There is supposed to be an upscale grocery store planned for Ball Park area..I used to shop at 7-11 at times accross from DCPA...kind of ridiculous---beef jerky and a carton of milk..maybe a slurpee

Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,479,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why does it have to be separated from automobile traffic to be considered walkable?

I just think that most people regard walkability and convenience (from being dense and compact) as being one in the same.
Because providing safe places for people to walk is the key component to walkability. Wide sidewalks provide for better walkability, as do sidewalks with plantings between the sidewalk and the street. Tight sidewalk corners increase walkability too because it makes cars slow down significantly to turn, thereby decreasing the risk of injury to a pedestrian crossing at a corner.

TNDtownpaper.com has an interesting article from March/April 2008 about walkability. It says Walkability, as new urbanists understand it, is a complex phenomenon involving such elements as sidewalks, appealing streetscapes, and doors facing the street. But from the perspective of someone trying to decide on a dwelling, the most basic measure of walkability is, “What can I walk to from here?” The article describes the increase in demand for walkable neighborhoods, and considers various TNDs as walkable neighborhoods, even if there isn't a grocery store on every other block.

That's why from a design and planning perspective, walkabililty is all about the EASE and SAFETY and sometimes even aesthetics of walking. Even if somebody can't walk to a grocery store within a quarter mile, they might be able to walk to a coffee shop or a bakery or to a neighborhood greenspace/park.

Stapleton was built as a walkable neighborhoods. There are also neighborhoods across America with a lot of apartment complexes or with high rise condos which have wide traffic-filled streets that are difficult for pedestrians to cross. The latter would be more dense than Stapleton, but Stapleton would offer better walkabililty than the leatter. So greater density, meaning more people per block, doesn't always equate to greater walkability. Often downtown areas in larger cities HAVE both greater density and walkability because they were built to have both. There are places in Atlanta or Los Angeles for example, that have density but you'd get creamed by a car trying to walk from point A to point B. And there are places like Ft. Collins, CO which don't have a bunch of high rises (hence not as high density) but have plenty of sidewalks and paths which enhance walkability.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,353,463 times
Walkability studies are the most stupidist things I have ever read. They are typically just bs, and mean nothing more than cities that are trendy at the moment. I thought Denver was pretty walkable, but the neighborhood I live in now has everything from shoe stores, bars, grocery stores (a big one, and locally owned ma and pa ones), coffee shops, tea cafes, cigar and smoke shops, a library, ice cream places, and much much more all located in a centralized area making it a 10 minute walk to everything for me.

With Denver, (I lived two blocks of Colfax) I could walk to everything, but it wasn't as centralized. As Colfax is a long street and everything is on it, so therefore it takes much longer to walk too. Here in Pittsburgh each neighborhood has its own centralized business district, as in Denver most buisnesses are along Colfax or Broadway, with the exception of very small business sections along 17th Ave, 6th ave, Wash park, or Gaylord St.

Here though, it is harder to walk to each different neighborhood, so people typically stay in their own hoods.

I hope this makes sense. Thats my walkability study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or