U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 AM

49 posts, read 140,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I think the wind chill is supposed to be around 60 above this afternoon. Just horrible!
Yeah, not sure how i'll hand the 60 degree wind chill. the -15 in Michigan right now can't compete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,749,322 times
The traffic on I70 east/west on the weekends can be HORRENDOUS. I've personally sat on I70, in park, for almost 3 hours waiting for some idiot flat-lander(had a TX license plate) get scraped up off the road and out of the ditch.

That'll put a sour taste in anyone's mouth when you are stuck in traffic for a few hours when you just wanted to get a few runs in on the slope.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM

195 posts, read 727,146 times
Default heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
LOL... what about all the posters who do nothing but complain about how cold it is here?
Yah, with a high of 70 degrees today. Brrrr.....

Seriously, I had a pleasant bike commute yesterday.

At least we don't have to deal with ice storms like the east coast.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,749,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolife View Post
Yah, with a high of 70 degrees today. Brrrr.....

Seriously, I had a pleasant bike commute yesterday.

At least we don't have to deal with ice storms like the east coast.
I don't know what's worse, ice storms or drought.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,479,276 times
Well, consider that in today's modern world, drought merely brings about water restrictions and adjustments to normal everyday life in big cities. Ice storms end lives outright, not to mention leave homes without power (heat) in below freezing conditions.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,133,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Well, consider that in today's modern world, drought merely brings about water restrictions and adjustments to normal everyday life in big cities. Ice storms end lives outright, not to mention leave homes without power (heat) in below freezing conditions.
Ice storms only end lives in places like Arkansas and Oklahoma where they aren't used to receiving them. You never hear about people in MN, WI, IL, or MI dying from ice storms do you? Drought conditions are a far more serious, long term problem than some rough winter weather. When the West runs out of water some time this century you won't think of it as a minor nuisance.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,479,276 times
Drought problems so far in America have been temporary and more of a nuisance. I haven't heard of US cities' residents dying because there was no water to drink. I HAVE heard of US cities' residents dying by having frozen to death or by falling limbs or power lines or being injured by auto crashes due to ice storms. And if the Western US does run out of water (I seriously doubt it will), look for investment in desalination and therefore a new supply of drinking water. At the same time, there will still be deaths each year stemming from frozen winter weather, including ice storms.

To your question, the Quad City Times ran a story on Jan 28, 2009 about a 93 year old WW2 veteran in Bay City, MI who froze to death in his home. The Star Tribune of Minneapolis/St.Paul ran a story on January 27, 2009 about a 22 year old man in Duluth who had left a bar and was found the next day frozen to death in a parking lot.

There is a greater danger of freezing to death in America than of dying because of lack of drinking water.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,008,106 times
Jacobclark
Kind of seems ridiculous to pick a part a city over and over that you no longer live in--especially when most of what you say is highly inacurate...People are moving to Denver because it's a pretty great place to live--you can site negative stats, graphs ect..talk about what a hellish place this is to live all day long...I myself am sitting in shorts in 65 degrees today drinking an iced coffee and checking out the girls walking by...Sorry you chose the wrong hood to live in or had some negative experiences--but I don't and have not experienced all the BS you claim goes on in this town..Certainly I have my gripes about Denver...it's not all good--I have lived in many towns/cities around the country and I live part time in So. Cal now... the front range is where I am from--and I think it's only getting better here..

Last edited by Scott5280; 02-05-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,133,051 times
Someone has to offer a differing opinion about Denver on the CD forum. Nobody else is doing it. The other CD forums don't overstate the greatness of their cities the way the posters in the Denver forum seem to.

Denver is right for people who love skiing, biking, and hiking and who want a laid back family friendly lifestyle. I get peeved when people make Denver sound like it can please everyone equally, regarless of what you like. If you love the hustle and bustle of really big cities, Denver probably isn't for you. If you want a great college town vibe with lots of inexpensive things geared towards students, then Denver definitely isn't for you. If you love being surrounded by water and all the things associated with it like sailing, water skiing, or fishing, then Denver isn't for you. Just because it has a decent sized downtown, a couple of universities, and a few reservoirs doesn't mean it's going to satisfy everybody. Look at me, I didn't enjoy it much at all. Perhaps if I already held a college degree, had a good idea of where I wanted my career to go, had a wife or serious girlfriend, and wanted to settle down and party less, and wanted to be more physically active, then perhaps Denver wouldn't be all that bad of a place. But for now, I'm poor, I'm a college student, and I want to still be crazy while I can be. Milwaukee offers a much better college/nightlife than Denver does, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to live here too.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 PM

14,500 posts, read 22,337,836 times
This seems like a fair post; one that describes the upside of Denver compared to "Mil"waukee, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Look at me, I didn't enjoy it much at all. Perhaps if I already held a college degree, had a good idea of where I wanted my career to go, had a wife or serious girlfriend, and wanted to settle down and party less, and wanted to be more physically active, then perhaps Denver wouldn't be all that bad of a place...
one that describes the downside of Denver compared to Milwaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
But for now, I'm poor, I'm a college student, and I want to still be crazy while I can be. Milwaukee offers a much better college/nightlife than Denver does, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to live here too.
Fair enough, I say.

Let's just say in general; if you want water, move to somewhere adjacent to the Great Lakes and if you want 14ers, Front Range or Western Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or