Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 PM

37 posts, read 127,040 times

Advertisements

I am currently unemployed and my unemployment money runs out in May. My wife and I are tired of Arkansas and the lack of jobs here. I know it’s tough everywhere, but is it really hard to find work in Denver right now?
I have a degree in English, but do not have a teacher’s license. My wife has management experience. Currently, to find a job that pays more than $9.00 an hour, it requires a 25 to 45 mile drive. Considering these circumstances, would a move to Denver be an improvement?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM

14 posts, read 62,280 times
Here is a better map (you can click on each state to see unemployment rates):

Interactive Map: Job Losses Increase in a Majority of States

I don't know about your idea to move from state to state looking for better employment rates. The question of which state to move to depends on
(1) what you do for a living -- what states have the most jobs for your particular industry (for every job and/or every skillset, there are preferred states that have more jobs)
(2) who you know in that state -- moving near to family who can help you is a brilliant idea... moving to a state where you don't know anyone and if things fell through again you'd be in deep ca-ca is not such a great idea....

Last edited by Gwyneth; 02-09-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: made improvements

Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth777 View Post
I am currently unemployed and my unemployment money runs out in May. My wife and I are tired of Arkansas and the lack of jobs here. I know it’s tough everywhere, but is it really hard to find work in Denver right now?
I have a degree in English, but do not have a teacher’s license. My wife has management experience. Currently, to find a job that pays more than $9.00 an hour, it requires a 25 to 45 mile drive. Considering these circumstances, would a move to Denver be an improvement?
Thanks
Check out Oklahoma, the state has a low unemployment rate and it is close to Arkansas.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 27,156 times
I have heard that Denver's unemployment rate is around 6%. I was thinking of moving there myself; however, I am looking in Salt Lake City b/c their unemployment rate is around 4%. I also heard Iowa and Oklahoma (especially Oklahoma City) were really good.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 PM

[quote=Gwyneth;7392734]I don't know about your idea to move from state to state looking for better employment rates.
Well, we fell in love with Denver while on vacation a few years ago. And we've always wanted to move out of this state. Since I don't have a job anymore, we figured that now was the time.
Plus, the alternative teaching license program for Denver schools seems amazing.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
If you want to move to Denver just do it. Things are tough here but i'm sure a job will come easier than in Alabama.

Don't follow unemployment rates too closely. Those are changing just like the wind blows these days. In two more months i'm sure they will be very different again. Just go to the city you want to be in.

Just be willing to take a bad job at first. And maybe work a bad job for a while. There are still lots of jobs here if you're willing to do anything.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, funkymonk. I do realize I'll probably get a bad job at first, but hopefully by next year, I'll be accepted into the teaching program in Denver.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,093 times
Make sure you take all factors into affect when you decide whats best for you. As for your $9/hour comment, where I work, at a local hospital with 700 employees, the lowest paid employees are starts at that. But realize the cost of living is higher. When I relocated here 2 years ago we've tallied it up and the cost of living is 15% higher than when we left Florida. Housing costs more, a lunch out starts at $6.99 for just the entre, cars are yearly taxed on their orginal purchase price (my 06 dodge ram used to cost $70 for the plates. when I moved here they were $600 for the plate. This year its dropped to $400). Sales tax hovers around 8-9% depending on the area, and state income tax is roughly another 4%. I dont want to scare you by any means, but its good to see the big picture about cost to live in "Paradise"

That being said, Denver is one of the best places to live. None of that sticky heat in the summer. Very mild winters. (cold but a dry cold so it feels 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. Occasional Snow, but it melts off in a day or so, unless you live in the mountains). Lots to do and very expansive. Distances can be deceiving since you always see the mountains although they may be 50 miles away.

Nav

Old 02-14-2009, 12:07 PM

28 posts, read 82,760 times
DON'T MOVE! Denver area is awash with degree holders...its the equivalent of a high school diploma...I know an engineer and an architect who have to work at BASS PRO! Get your teaching license!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:47 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne215 View Post
DON'T MOVE! Denver area is awash with degree holders...its the equivalent of a high school diploma...I know an engineer and an architect who have to work at BASS PRO! Get your teaching license!!!!!!!!!!!
This is true. People always brag that Denver has a lot of degree holders. And it's good because it means this is an intelligent city, but it also means jobs are very competive.

I was working at a restaurant. And there were at least 15 people there with degrees working as servers and hosts. Most people I talk to have a degree. It's harder to be the big fish around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: