U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM

3,150 posts, read 7,218,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedFinanceGuy View Post
I am a New Yorker and just came back from a visit to Denver where I was visiting a former classmate. I am a frequent traveller and appreciate well designed airports that welcome visitors to a city. Unfortunately Denver's airport is not one of them. You have keep climbing down and climbing up to get from the gate to the main terminal and even then your troubles are not over - the city of Denver is a long taxi ride away (US$ 55) and hardly any ground transportation options exist like we have in New York. I kept getting lost trying to find where the baggage claim was and had to ask a friendly old "Airport Representative" who finally pointed me in the right direction - who on earth designed this awful airport?

My other peeve was the shortage of rest rooms - appartently only 1 per terminal so you have to walk a mile just to relieve yourself - perhaps its the shortage of water. To top it all - I mentioned my feelings about the airport to my friend - and he was absolutely amazed by my views.

Can the local Denverians on this forum please let me know what they think of their airport?
Climbing up and down? Trust me when they designed the terminals they made sure to leave out stairs. I am sure if you had to convey yourself and your luggage up and down stairs you would pass out at this altitude. So, no climbing involved. Just shuffling yourself onto an escalator. And if that is a bit much to do there are elevators available for your use.

There is more than one bathroom per terminal. Trust me.

Unlike New York Denver is slightly different as you have seen. Much like many other cities in this place we call the, "The World". Every city is different than your own. That is what makes travel fun and unique.

You should do your home work a little better. Skyride, it will take you down town on the cheap. Although, thank you for supporting the local cab driver!

The only view you need is to look west. That is my kind of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 PM

3,150 posts, read 7,218,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Have any of you locals heard any more about why that plane at DIA went off the runway a couple of months ago?

And does anyone know how airports deal with ice on the runways? I imagine anything granular like rock salt or sand would be a bad idea around jet engines. Do they use mag-chloride?
Those are two separate things. The plane off the runway had nothing to do with ice.

And no they do not use chemicals on the runway. They just plow. Although, I have seen sand.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,980,025 times
They think that cross-winds was the cause of that crash - not ice. They are still investigating and nothing official has been released at this time.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM

30 posts, read 86,812 times
Actually, I have flown in and out of DIA 50-60 times, and I find it quite easy to get around. The first few times were certainly difficult. Yes, cabs are a little pricey. There are shuttles that can be around 1/2 as much as a cab, depending on where you to. I always rented a car, but then I know my way around the area. I never had a problem finding "facilities" either, but then I know were they are. I don't mind the "cattle drive" from the train to the escalators. I find DIA much easier to get around in than DFW or Bush.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,076,007 times
My problems with Denver International stem more from dealing with United Airlines and being stranded at DIA enroute to Chicago than the airport itself (very nice, I just spent more time there than I cared to). LAX-DIA-MDW was supposed to take 7 hours but turned into 12 with a seven hour unexpected layover at DIA and being re-routed to ORD thanks to missed and cancelled flights.

Although the OP is sort of right in one regard: It was really hard to find a bathroom. They seemed really far apart from one another, at least in the United terminal. I was probably just tired and p*ssed off.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 PM

360 posts, read 1,008,334 times
I like DIA, and not sure if anyone mentioned the shortcut through security that I always use now. You basically have to up one level from security, look for the walkway to the A gates, walk across the sky bridge and there is another set of security there. I've tried it numerous times and it works even better if you are using Frontier in the A gates themselves, if not, you can still hit the train at A to B or C. Never had to use the RR's there and I never check bags. My routine is Plane>Train/skybridge>Curb 5.

Also, the RTD Skyride is the way to get in/out of the city. The Motor Coaches leave often, from curb 5, cheapest way to get into downtown. I think it's a great airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or