U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 03:11 PM

85 posts, read 302,405 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker and just came back from a visit to Denver where I was visiting a former classmate. I am a frequent traveller and appreciate well designed airports that welcome visitors to a city. Unfortunately Denver's airport is not one of them. You have keep climbing down and climbing up to get from the gate to the main terminal and even then your troubles are not over - the city of Denver is a long taxi ride away (US$ 55) and hardly any ground transportation options exist like we have in New York. I kept getting lost trying to find where the baggage claim was and had to ask a friendly old "Airport Representative" who finally pointed me in the right direction - who on earth designed this awful airport?

My other peeve was the shortage of rest rooms - appartently only 1 per terminal so you have to walk a mile just to relieve yourself - perhaps its the shortage of water. To top it all - I mentioned my feelings about the airport to my friend - and he was absolutely amazed by my views.

Can the local Denverians on this forum please let me know what they think of their airport?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,312,750 times
Yes, DIA (DEN) requires lots of walking, and is far from the city. DEN is about the same as SEA, yet more user-friendly than LAX or DTW. ONT and YYZ are two of the easiest airports to use, IMO.

BTW, we do have public transit, you could have taken a SkyRide bus into town. We have light-rail as well, but it doesn't go that way yet. Were you expecting the convenient transit of NYC? Denver is still a cow-town in comparison.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM

85 posts, read 302,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
BTW, we do have public transit, you could have taken a SkyRide bus into town. We have light-rail as well, but it doesn't go that way yet. Were you expecting the convenient transit of NYC? Denver is still a cow-town in comparison.
I finally found out later on from my friend about the bus service to town but there are absolutely no signs telling you where the buses depart from - which bus goes where etc. Also you can get out of the airport at multiple levels and if you step out at the wrong level you have to go back in and take an elevator to the next level. When you step out there are several "islands" you can go to to catch taxis etc. - but no information desk like at JFK, LGA or EWR to give you proper advice on your options etc. I also saw some crowded mini vans into which skiers headed for the mountains were crammed in and charge an arm and a leg - so I guess ground transportation to the mountains is also sketchy at best. You are totally right about the cow-town comment - but this is a VERY expensive cow-town.

The restaurants are as expensive if not even more expensive than New York and poor quality. The sushi place we went to in lower downtown would go out of business in New York in less than a week!

But, at least the locals are very friendly and smile when they talk to you and the women are very easy to meet and talk to at local bars.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,816,747 times
I've been to DEN plenty of times and never had problems finding anything.

JFK is another story. Easy to find things? No way!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM

86,882 posts, read 102,269,915 times
I don't care for DIA, nor its little clone in Pittsburgh. I feel like I'm in a cattle drive, down the stairs, up the stairs, on the trains, etc. At least you don't have to ride any shuttles from terminal to terminal there, like you have to do at some places.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times
We're glad you liked Denver!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,872,615 times
Hey look! A New Yawker complaining about a Western city! I've visited Denver several times now and never had problem getting around the airport. As for ground transportation, there's these things called cars you can rent. The bus will even take you to them for free!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 PM

14,494 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Compared to any airport in the City, I like DIA and think it's built for future growth. It takes some getting used to. It's like the ATL but half the size.

Complaining about the lack of restrooms and water, I don't get it. The water that Denver and the rest of Colorado has is the best on the planet, so we don't go dishin' it out to just anybody.

To complain about the transportation to and from DIA and the lousy food and prices kind of goes hand in hand with what I experience when I go to Manhattan; the food is great and cheap but I'm treated like I have no business on that already crowded island and I am going to pay through the nose to have rented a rental car to get from my still overpriced scummy hotel in New Jersey (20 bucks a night for parking in this lousy hotel right smack dab in the middle of nowhere! What a rippoff! How much is a hotel and parking / night in Manhattan?) while I'm doing my work in the City. I'm gonna get two parking tickets within 5 days while feeding the parking meters the 6 quarters every 50 minues all day long because the business that I'm helping redecorate (installing a special floor) doesn't provide any parking for us. I could have spent 40/day to park the car at the garage, but I risked parking it on the street so we could go and get supplies as needed, and I made a bad decision... to the tune of 180.00 for two parking tickets.

When you come out west, you get treated like a grown-up. You're expected to rent a car and come and go as you please. The density of this city isn't quite what it is back East, in case you didn't know. So you have a lot more ground to cover.

Denver is expensive? Not if you know your way around. I got family out in Yonkers and Peal River and they showed me around when I was out there at 16. I was drinking in their 18 bars with my fake ID and had a blast. But I would never ever do business out there if I had the choice. My coworker had his rental car busted into and they got the work supplies, his lap top, medicine, garmin, PS2, all his stuff; and all he was doing was going to the bathroom in the hotel, he said he had the car parked for less than 10 minutes and they busted a side window.

What a dirty nasty hole that place is and I don't miss it.

As far as airports, I like Colorado Springs better. I get my luggage lost a lot less there.

If you're a savvy traveler, you get used to it.

You think Denver is expensive? I hope you never go to Las Vegas or LA.

Quote:
As for ground transportation, there's these things called cars you can rent. The bus will even take you to them for free!
Wow! That's exactly what I was sayin'. What a pisser!

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-08-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,421,399 times
maybe you haven't been to O'Hare?

Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
The OP comments has more to do with the impatience of a New Yorker than the problems of the airport----I can hear that nasal whine that pervades the attitudes of the New Yorkers.

Yes, I love NYC but this complaint certainly reminds me of my past----the complaints, the annoying head and arm movements, the irritating bombastic LOUD comments--yea, that is a New Yawker. It takes one to know one and I was and I am one, and still have some of those bad attributes which are ingrained, even after over 30 years of living in Colorado.

Anyone who is an experienced traveler will know that all airports when first met and used, are confusing--the nature of the beast. However, with a little patience and friendly inquiries of the "locals" one can get good answers and directions. You ask with anger; you will get answered with anger. You demand with impatience; you will get an curt answer. That is what I have learned from my years; approach others with friendliness and you will get the same in return.

Airports Problems???? I can remember Idlewild---the big confusing disaster which became even more of a mess with all those separate terminals---yes, why fix it, just rename it JFK, the biggest and the best--at that time. However, when one meets the annoying, confusing maze that is New York City; one can get answers and help because under that brass, combative, exterior, New Yorkers are really helpful and believe it or not, kind; if you approach them in a friendly way.

So, I would say to you, a fellow New Yorker--your attitude is causing you to perceive more problems with people, facilities and food. Relax, take it all in stride and you will become a more happy fellow. I know if you do not, you will have more of a problem finding a position and being happy in Denver; you will remain an "unemployedfinanceguy".

Ya need to forgetaboutit an' see da bright side....Hey, Yo, Listen ta me--ya, knowatta mean!!

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-08-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or