U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM

394 posts, read 1,377,853 times

Advertisements

Okay, so don't rip me to shreads, but wow, have my insights changed. First of all, if you read my old postings, you'll know I never came here with a bad attitude. But there are some things about Denver that have rattled my cage a lot since and I feel the need to share them.

I am trying not to list any of the attributes of my own situation, as I have taken about a 1/2 pay cut from what I made in Key West, and I don't find expenses to be 1/2 as much. My job being out in Broomfield, all dreams of getting an affordable place out there have fallen, as people are obsessed with things like status out here.

Looks more like Westminster, possibly Lakewood. I have lost just about all that I have that's worth something to stay out here, but I chose that route. 5 months from my move-in date, I have left my old place as it was in Aurora and I was in Broomfield, and the commute was terrible, as well as an escalating situation with roommates. So now the aspects are it's impossible to admit that moving here has cost me greatly, and still I stay.

I have found Aurora to be unappealing to me, and please natives of the city, don't take offense, it just wasn't my bag. The housing is more affordable, but neighbor-wise, you'll get what you pay for. I'm not a snob by any means, but it seems like "gangsta's paradise" was what Aurora really wanted it to be like. But that's everywhere in America right now. We're all hip-hop now, pretty fly for a ____guy! (or gal). Why we like using one of the richest countries in the world to emulate the lowest form of status in civilization is beyond me...but that's another posting altogether!

So as things didn't work out, and an unpredictable repair costing hundreds has occurred, I have found myself on the couch of a friend's house for the time being. Not what I pictured for sure. But you can't converse about the price of a dream unless you are willing to pay for it. And I have. I am now in Lakewood, which I find to be a refreshing side of Denver. Much more culture, more like a big city and not a big ghetto. Broomfield seems too overpriced to me, like an outer-convenience band suburb for Boulder. The apartments you get there are expensive, and you pay more for a mountain-view. I find that to be disrespectful, as all you get is the outside view, the inside remains the same.

Needless to say, my opinions of Denver have shifted. I, being from Indiana, have always been a courteous, friendly person towards people, even strangers, that need advice or assistance. People seem locked into their own worlds, needless of yours. Leaving Key West for this cold, dismal experience has left me thirsty for friendly people. Maybe it's just winter, but I am doubting it. Don't get me wrong, I have met some nice people, but most of them don't like living here either, and mostly for that exact reason. So much for that being just a newcomer's opinion...

The thing that keeps me here is the views, and the hikes. Just a few minutes away, and I am thousands of feet high and miles from the city. Yesterday, at Lookout Mountain things were just beautiful, and put into perspective. I get my release, my meditation, if you will from nature. But I wasn't alone. All the people on the paths were friendly. Could it be just cause they have to engage you by walking by? I notice little things like this, and it does get my attention that bikers, hikers, even dog-walkers are friendlier than the general, getting there populace of Denver.

And what is with the driving? Wow, I have driven alot of places, and I must tell you, I have never seen more backwards driving for such a large city in my life. People drive slow in the fast lane, fast in the slow lane, and change lanes without signals, drive without lights in the dark, pile WAYY too much on top of their vehicles, swerve around like they are on cough syrup or something. And being from Indiana I find it really annoying that on a left turn, people don't pull out into the intersection, like you are supposed to.

It seems that people always have to prove themselves to you...like if you are just passing them nonchalantly in traffic, they speed up with tiny dickie syndrome or something. They can't let you pass them. It's just a general attitude I have noticed here. And don't say it's all the out of state drivers. Nope, try again, CO plates more than often. The out of state drivers like me are probably just more frustrated as I am. Sadly, this whole city needs Driver's ED like no tomorrow, some of them shouldn't have a license. (Like the lady killed two in the taxi last week with 3 DUI's!) People have warned me I should kill someone before I go to court for traffic citations, as I'll get the book thrown at me...are you serious?

So, an opportunity has come for me to go to Indianapolis to be closer to home and family, and though I love the mountains, I have to think about it. Denver just isn't the western advanced good attitude outdoorsy city I read about in the websites back in Key West last year. I have a positive attitude, and engage each friendly person I meet with kindness, but most of them are from Indiana, such as the person I am staying with right now. Funny how us Hoosiers can find other kind Hoosiers even at a mile high and 1000 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM

965 posts, read 868,355 times
Move

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 AM

394 posts, read 1,377,853 times
There goes another one of those, friendly engaging, happy Denverites now...he said sarcastically...

Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,821,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
Okay, so don't rip me to shreads, but wow, have my insights changed. First of all, if you read my old postings, you'll know I never came here with a bad attitude. But there are some things about Denver that have rattled my cage a lot since and I feel the need to share them.

Needless to say, my opinions of Denver have shifted. I, being from Indiana, have always been a courteous, friendly person towards people, even strangers, that need advice or assistance. People seem locked into their own worlds, needless of yours. Leaving Key West for this cold, dismal experience has left me thirsty for friendly people. Maybe it's just winter, but I am doubting it. Don't get me wrong, I have met some nice people, but most of them don't like living here either, and mostly for that exact reason. So much for that being just a newcomer's opinion...

And what is with the driving? Wow, I have driven alot of places, and I must tell you, I have never seen more backwards driving for such a large city in my life. People drive slow in the fast lane, fast in the slow lane, and change lanes without signals, drive without lights in the dark, pile WAYY too much on top of their vehicles, swerve around like they are on cough syrup or something. And being from Indiana I find it really annoying that on a left turn, people don't pull out into the intersection, like you are supposed to.

It seems that people always have to prove themselves to you...like if you are just passing them nonchalantly in traffic, they speed up with tiny dickie syndrome or something. They can't let you pass them. It's just a general attitude I have noticed here. And don't say it's all the out of state drivers. Nope, try again, CO plates more than often. The out of state drivers like me are probably just more frustrated as I am. Sadly, this whole city needs Driver's ED like no tomorrow, some of them shouldn't have a license. (Like the lady killed two in the taxi last week with 3 DUI's!) People have warned me I should kill someone before I go to court for traffic citations, as I'll get the book thrown at me...are you serious?

So, an opportunity has come for me to go to Indianapolis to be closer to home and family, and though I love the mountains, I have to think about it. Denver just isn't the western advanced good attitude outdoorsy city I read about in the websites back in Key West last year. I have a positive attitude, and engage each friendly person I meet with kindness, but most of them are from Indiana, such as the person I am staying with right now. Funny how us Hoosiers can find other kind Hoosiers even at a mile high and 1000 miles away.

Hi,
I've been in N Colorado for 3 years now and whilst I don't really know Denver well, the two points you mention above I do agree with. It's a lot harder to make friends out here than Coloradoans claim. I thought midwesterners were tough in Minnesota but here it's just as bad. People are nice and friendly and chat, but gods forbid they invite you to hang out or agree to join you at the weekend in going to a movie or something. And all these Meetup.com groups are a waste of time.

And yes, the driving in Colorado is ridiculous. It's not as bad as Minnesota but at least up there they know what a signal light is for!

But I will remain here as I love the location and I think it's worth persevering with the locals and I don't think I could live anywhere else. It's really unfortunate you've had so much bad luck with accommodations, etc, and I hope things improve for you very soon.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,776,417 times
Ghostgecko, sorry you've had a tough time. Indeed, relocating anywhere can be tough, but particularly now in this bad economy.

I've found that many times, newcomers can arrive with rose colored glasses, only to have their initial impressions dashed by the cold reality that there are indeed pluses and minuses to living in the area. I think if you stick with it, you will probably meet your core group of friends and time will further shape your perception of Denver as you notice other good and bad things about living here.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,323,361 times
Sounds more like an issue with your personal situation than with Denver. You really said nothing about the city itself.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 PM

152 posts, read 573,368 times
I'm sorry, I stopped reading at the second paragraph. The sentence structure was enough to make my eyes cross! WOW

Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,046,487 times
Quote:
You really said nothing about the city itself.
He didn't move to Denver, he moved east of Denver and decided to commute north of Denver and now lives north of Denver with a job he knowingly took at half of the pay and yet he is still unable to put the pieces together and equate his inability to buy the house he wants with his decision to take a pay cut.

You get back what you put out; if you find people are not friendly the place to start your investigations as to why is with you -- on all fronts listed in your whining post.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,743,009 times
Several comments:

1. A lot of the problems you're having are due to the national (and international) economic problems we're having now. It isn't specific to Denver. I have no idea what kind of gig you had going on in Key West, but that's entirely your individual situation. To extrapolate your individual situation to say that Denver, a city of 3 million people in the greater CSA, has worse job opportunities than a small resort area, is a little silly.

2. You apparently bought into many un-true myths about Denver, such as that living there is like being on vacation 365 days out of the year in a mountain resort. Part of this is your own naivete. Part of this is not your fault, but the fault of the misleading/lying/annoying way the tourist promotion/ real estate/ advertising communities incessantly market Denver to the rest of the nation. So on this point I partially sympathize with you.

3. Perhaps Denver-- well not so much Denver-- but the Colorado Rocky mountains in general-- is a place that you do really like-- but only for visiting on vacation. Perhaps this is a place where for your purposes it's better to visit than to live? In that sense, maybe going back to Indianapolis would make you the most happy?

4. Materialism/ Status/ Ghettoes. I really don't get people like you. And it's not just you, it's a number of people I've read on this forum. You bash Aurora nonstop for being low class/ wannabe gangster, which unless if you actually lived in north Aurora, which somehow I doubt, you are exaggerating and/or seeing what you want to see. But then nice suburban middle class Broomfield is not good enough for you either? What beats me even more than the "materialistic" or "status conscious" people are the people who think they are so above that and look their noses down on everybody else for being "status conscious." Are you some Buddhist monk or something? What makes you think you are so much better than everybody else?

5. The central city of Denver-- maybe what you're looking for might be found there, rather than in any of the suburbs? Why have you ignored Denver itself as a potential place to live?

6. Driving-- show me a forum anywhere on this website where residents are not b-n-m'ing about the city's bad driving.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,776,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
It's a lot harder to make friends out here than Coloradoans claim.
I'm 2 1/2 years in, and I have had a similar experience, even with other transplants! I wish I understood the reason for it. I've never had this much trouble making & keeping friends.

I had more of a social life living near D.C, which is not exactly known for being the friendliest place in the country. People literally came to my door the day I arrived with baked goods and offers to babysit whilst I unpacked. Here in Colorado, it was weeks before anybody seemed to notice my family had moved in.

Quote:
A lot of the problems you're having are due to the national (and international) economic problems we're having now.
I also suspect that this may have something to do it. People under financial stress are trying so hard to hang on that they just don't have the energy to put into friendships. That, and it's the suburban way to put on a brave face and hide difficulties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or