U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM

149 posts, read 259,681 times
Default Suncor Oil Refinery in Commerce City

I read this month that Suncor has backed out of a plan to partner with another Canadian company, to produce ethanol from beetle-kill pine. The plant was originally going to be in Commerce City, but they changed the location to Grand Junction, closer to the fuel source.

(Moot point since they are backing out of the project, but I wonder if that's why they were / are planning to expand the Commerce City site. I find some reports online of this expansion; some think it might be a good thing since Suncor would be forced to use cleaner technology. )

Hopefully, the biofuels project will still go forward - the other company says it's going to look for a different partner (so it can use the pot of DOE money it was awarded for this project). Ethanol sure isn't a perfect solution, but anything that moves us away from oil, seems to me should be pursued.

Does anyone live near the refinery in Commerce City? I'm wondering if Suncor is still going to expand their operation there, and if so how that will affect the air quality both locally, and in the Denver metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-13-2009, 09:45 AM

8,921 posts, read 10,442,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
I read this month that Suncor has backed out of a plan to partner with another Canadian company, to produce ethanol from beetle-kill pine. The plant was originally going to be in Commerce City, but they changed the location to Grand Junction, closer to the fuel source.

(Moot point since they are backing out of the project, but I wonder if that's why they were / are planning to expand the Commerce City site. I find some reports online of this expansion; some think it might be a good thing since Suncor would be forced to use cleaner technology. )

Hopefully, the biofuels project will still go forward - the other company says it's going to look for a different partner (so it can use the pot of DOE money it was awarded for this project). Ethanol sure isn't a perfect solution, but anything that moves us away from oil, seems to me should be pursued.

Does anyone live near the refinery in Commerce City? I'm wondering if Suncor is still going to expand their operation there, and if so how that will affect the air quality both locally, and in the Denver metro area.
I don't live near it, but I drive by it on the way to work. There aren't many houses near the refinery - I doubt many people want to live near one. All I can say is that area really stinks! Between the refinery and the garbage dump across the freeway from it, the place is naaass- T. With a capital "T"!

Unread 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,140,661 times
I think the oil refinary in commerce city at nite is really beautiful.

Unread 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,526 times
Default Commerce City Suncor Refinery

I live roughly 2 miles as the crow flies from the refinery and, with a digital measuring unit, do not experience poor air quality. Though I'd rather it be out on the prairie, one must understand how planning, economics, politics, and advocacy groups work. Always be able to defend both sides of an argument. For example, it's important to consider variables such as existing environmental standards, strategic national defense, and tax structures.

As for Commerce City itself...... well, I'm from a charming village in Massachusetts and have lived in Norway, Italy, Canada, Tanzania, Florida, New Hampshire, Maryland, and I own a home near Vail and a home in Denver. I live in Commerce City by choice and I love it! It's a quiet, safe, and peaceful and in close proximity to downtown for 1/5th the price. What you see from I-270 is typical of freeway corridors throughout America....primarily commercial and industrial zoning. It's impractical to define an entire community by what you see from the freeway. I think the Suncor plant seems more menacing than it is because there's no trees on the prairie so you see more of the area around the plant and your 'mind's eye' assumes there's more impact.

Have you been to Houston? Tampa? New York City region? Port of Los Angeles? Portland? Chicago/Rockford/Gary? Detroit? Sandusky? The deserts of Utah and Wyoming? The Suncor Refinery in Commerce City is small. Just for fun..... Suncor is a Canadian company founded in 1919 in Montréal and currently based in Calgary, AB. It's brands are Sunoco, Petro-Canada, and Phillips 66. The Commerce City plant is Suncor's only US holding. Like most oil companies, it's been held to high standards, heavily fined for failing a few, has drastically improved its greenhouse gas emissions, but has also ramped up production thereby generally producing more pollutants. It processes 93,000 barrels of oil per day and is the areas major producer/provider of gasoline, diesel, and paving asphalt. So the next time you drive by the refinery, remember that wihtout it, your olfactory senses wouldn't have the pleasure of driving past it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver