U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,297,960 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in a place with any worry of wild animals, attacks, fearing for my pets etc.

Would any of you say that the coyote/fox issue is such that it affects your quality of life in Denver, or a constant anxiety for you? Or that it would have changed the fact that you ever chose to move to/or stay living in Denver?

In other words, how problematic is it for most there?

Are you fearful everyday for your safety ie while taking walks, jogging, having your children play outside? Things of that nature?

I am trying to get a feel of how much of a negative that the coyote/fox issue is for those actually living in and amongst these wild animals, on a daily basis.

I am a jogger-will I have to be fearful every time out jogging?

I have a Yorkie-5lbs. I realize that we will have to keep him very protected and never let him in the yard alone-or would he be safe in a 6ft high fenced yard?

Please address all my concerns above!

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 AM

965 posts, read 866,462 times
A lot depends on your location. If you're in urban Denver, I wouldn't worry very much. As for your safety as a jogger, I would have zero worry. You're not going to get attacked by a coyote or a fox. Your small dog (or other pet), on the other hand, I'd worry about if you're out in the suburbs. I grew up in Aurora (near Cherry Creek State Park). My family had two cats - both indoor/outdoor cats. One lived 21 years spending most of her time outside. The other was killed by a fox at 1 year old. There was recently a story of a woman walking her dog at the dog park at Cherry Creek. A coyote literally sneaked up behind her and snatched the dog (leash attached) from her.

Big dogs should be fine left alone in fenced yards. Smalls dogs - no. A fox can easily jump a fence. The foxes I've seen in the Denver area are generally in the 15 pound range. Coyotes and foxes are usually attracted by garbage as well as pet food being left outside. Keeping them inside as much as possible will lessen the change of one coming your way.

I just looked this up. There has only been one recorded fatal attack on a human by a coyote in the US. In 1981 a toddler was killed by a coyote in Glendale California.

Last edited by ramanboy33; 02-13-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM

201 posts, read 461,858 times
Default another point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Would any of you say that the coyote/fox issue is such that it affects your quality of life in Denver, or a constant anxiety for you? Or that it would have changed the fact that you ever chose to move to/or stay living in Denver?
I live in the foothills overlooking Denver. For me the wildlife is a big, big plus. Every day I see elk, deer, and hawks; less frequently foxes, coyotes, skunks, etc. Part of the reason I moved out of the city is for this! (But note: when I lived in the middle of Denver, I saw MANY more red foxes than up here. Really surprising.)

Quote:
Are you fearful everyday for your safety ie while taking walks, jogging, having your children play outside? Things of that nature?
No. I walk about an hour each day and am always aware of the wildlife, though. When the elk up here start giving birth in a few months, I will have to be VERY cautious.

Quote:
I am trying to get a feel of how much of a negative that the coyote/fox issue is for those actually living in and amongst these wild animals, on a daily basis.
Try to think of the positives of living among them. You call yourself "twowolves", that sounds like you appreciate some qualities of wild animals.

Quote:
I have a Yorkie-5lbs. I realize that we will have to keep him very protected and never let him in the yard alone-or would he be safe in a 6ft high fenced yard?
I don't have a dog, but I am thinking about getting one. Part of my hesitation is I know it will affect how I live, with regards to the wildlife around me. I am torn between the companionship and safety aspects of having a dog, and the (almost always) negative impact a dog will almost certainly have on the wildlife around my home.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,284,241 times
I feel like saying, "Yes, if you move here, you, your children, your pets and all your friends will almost certainly be attacked by coyotes, foxes and many other vicious wild animals everytime you step outside, and you'll sooner ot later be eaten alive. So stay in Florida."

But, instead, I'll just give you a first hand example which I saw this very morning outside my living room window. (set to the tune of Lou reed's 'Take a Walk on the Wild Side'):

Two coyotes, walkin across the lake, looking for soul food, and a place to stake. A lady here, her doggies there, she was movin' fast, she did not beware. They said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side. Morning was juuuust fadin away, thought they was a huntin' for today, those coyotes were a-stalking low, shoulda seen them go-go-go, she said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side... I said hey hon-ay, take a walk on the wild side....

You know what those two coyotes did when this woman and her her two little dogs came within 50 feet? They ran the other way, and minded their own business.

Then the colored girls sang: do dodo doo dodododo dodo dodo dodododoooooooo... (sax solo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ88oTITMoM

Oh, and if you think you've never lived near wild animals, think again: Racoons, Opossums, Rats, Birds of Prey... all having sharp hunting/scavenging appendages and capable of seriously injuring or even killing a human.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
i feel like saying, "yes, if you move here, you, your children, your pets and all your friends will almost certainly be attacked by coyotes, foxes and many other vicious wild animals everytime you step outside, and you'll sooner ot later be eaten alive. So stay in florida."

but, instead, i'll just give you a first hand example which i saw this very morning outside my living room window. (set to the tune of lou reed's 'take a walk on the wild side'):

Two coyotes, walkin across the lake, looking for soul food, and a place to stake. A lady here, her doggies there, she was movin' fast, she did not beware. They said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side. Morning was juuuust fadin away, thought they was a huntin' for today, those coyotes were a-stalking low, shoulda seen them go-go-go, she said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side... I said hey hon-ay, take a walk on the wild side....

You know what those two coyotes did when this woman and her her two little dogs came within 50 feet? They ran the other way, and minded their own business.

Then the colored girls sang: Do dodo doo dodododo dodo dodo dodododoooooooo... (sax solo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz88otitmom

oh, and if you think you've never lived near wild animals, think again: Racoons, opossums, rats, birds of prey... All having sharp hunting/scavenging appendages and capable of seriously injuring or even killing a human.
humorous!! =)

Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 29,424 times
If you will have a 6' wood privacy fence and are surrounded by other neighbors, letting your dog out to potty is likely safe. But a fully enclosed dog run is the safest option if you want to keep your dog outside for long periods of time (like when you are at work). Coyotes can scale 6' fences, but I think it would surely help deter animals from entering your yard. A tiny Yorkie is pretty vulnerable to many things - including birds of prey!
I have 2 dogs (both under 40 lbs) in the suburbs, in a neighborhood that has coyotes (you can sometimes hear them howl in the middle of the night, that might sound creepy but it's actually neat). I am cautious when I let them outside at night, I usually turn the back light on and take a look in the yard first to make sure I don't see any critters. Coyotes will leave people alone - so if you let your little dog out at night you should probably just step out with her. Ask your neighbors if they are a problem in your neighborhood.

You will not need to feel unsafe as a jogger or walker. There are many benefits of having coyotes - they help control mice, rabbits, rats, gophers, etc and other pests, and if you are lucky enough to spot them, it can be very enjoyable to watch them-just as any type of nature can be.

Check out the Colorado Division of Wildlife website for tips on living with them. Lately the media has been giving coyotes a pretty bad rep, I don't feel they are nearly as big of a threat as the news is making them out to be. Coyotes are generally afraid of humans, but as with any animal, may become less afraid of humans if they live in close proximity to them. The coyotes don't concern or worry me, and they aren't problematic or a threat, but it is good that you are aware that you will need to take steps to safeguard your small dog.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,521,494 times
I have 3 labs and walk them early in the mornings - between 4 and 5 am. I see foxes daily. One followed us for a few blocks. It stopped and sat and watched us every time one of my dogs would stop to sniff something. When my dogs saw it, it took off.

I do see coyotes on occassion - saw one this morning. It saw my dogs and me and ran like the wind! I hear them often. My dogs will sit in the yard on a spring/summer evening and listen to them howl!

I have no fears when walking the dogs, jogging, etc.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM

4,554 posts, read 9,746,566 times
I have bigger issues with other people's dogs when I'm running!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,762,074 times
We see & hear coyotes all the time in our neighborhood, and it's never been a concern of mine. I just tell the kids to give them a wide berth. We freeze our smelly garbage and put it out right before pick-up, so it won't attract animals.

No pets in our household, but I certainly wouldn't let a Yorkie wander unattended, even in a fenced yard. That's just asking for trouble.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM

10,909 posts, read 29,393,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
We freeze our smelly garbage...
please elaborate, I am having a lot of trouble envisioning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver