Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 PM

619 posts, read 2,198,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne215 View Post

Unless you are "upwardly mobile" or already of ample means...I don't see how any young families can start out here...its a joke...and staying for museums and cultural extras are not really conducive to everyday life.
I guess I'm confused. It really, truly seems like you hate it here...so why on earth would you stay? I can understand being sad that things have changed over the past decade and that makes you long for times gone by. But it is what it is. If it ain't your style, find somewhere that is.

Is it just that you are having trouble finding a place that matches your personal list of wants? From your posts, it sounds like you're looking for a friendly, diverse community with no yuppies, country folk, chain stores or status-conscious cliques, that has a low cost of living and young people who are mature but don't ski. You also want a safe neighborhood with enough crime to keep you employed. Honestly, that's quite a specific laundry list...and I'm not sure any one place anywhere is gonna fit the bill. Can you prioritize a bit more to give a better sense of say your top three criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsRanchUrbanite View Post
Denver is the greatest city in the world! It is super diverse. Here in highlands ranch I know a asian family. I saw some indians too on the 16th street mall! You just have to open your eyes more. Denver is by far the greatest city in the world. We are not all run down and dumpy like east coast cities. we are new and clean! Places like Highlands Ranch are the newest and most awesome city neighborhoods. Whats wrong with chains? they are more efficient, clean, and cheaper than stupid ma and pop stores. There is a reason nobody likes eating cockroach soup at some diner owned by ma and pa. No thanks! If you like the 3rd world go back and live in New York.
...Wow I'm so glad I clicked on this thread lmao.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:16 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Be sure to write if you find work.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Unless you are "upwardly mobile" or already of ample means...I don't see how any young families can start out here...its a joke...
Denver metro's cost of living is average for the country. Its only expensive if you compare it to Texas or the Midwest. I agree with mczabe that it sounds like you're trying to find a lot of things that don't exactly go together.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Toss in another opinion of it sounding like you REALLY don't like it there and it's likely easier/better to go somewhere else.

My wife and I are doing that exact same thing.. only moving to Denver to try it out from mid-wyoming. Cheaper to live down there, and we take vacations to Denver frequently through the year to have access to things we don't have here.

Lots of places in this country, and World (if you're open-minded enough) where you can be happy and prosperous. No sense in trying to force someplace you already don't like into a mold where it'll never fit (for you).

Old 02-14-2009, 02:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,300,647 times
Quote:
I graduate this Summer with a CJ B.S.....give me a reason to keep my baby daughter and husband here...we don't ski. We don't care about keeping up with the jones'. we like customer service and common courtesy. we don't like chains we like mom and pop restaurants and stores. we like friendly down to earth people. WE ARE NOT YUPPIES. Or country folk. We like artsy things but we are not trying to fool anyone by being apart of status directed cliche clique. We are 22 but not desperately clinging to adolesence. We like diversity but hate how we get stared down in our own neighborhood when we lived here first.

So tell me why I should stay???
Please. Give me a break. I'm 23 years old, your same age, grew up in Aurora too. Smoky Hill 'represent! I can assure you, Denver/Aurora is the same place today as it was when you were a child, back in the good 'ol days of the 1990s (which of course was a time of great change). Nothing has changed at all, other than having gotten a little more developed. Same exact people, same culture, same attitudes. Denver hasn't changed-- you're the one who has changed!

I recommend you live in Los Angeles, California.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,136 times
Why would anyone give you a reason to stay....you obviously wouldn't listen, you have your mind made up it seems. Besides, NO ONE can tell you to stay!!
You also say, "how can a family start out here?"......I'd say YOU already have seeing how you graduate in the Summer with a degree AND you have a husband and daughter......is that not starting/started out?
I guess you just wanted to vent about your most horrible life!!
I agree you need to leave,..it would be horrific waking up everyday absolutely detesting your surroundings!!! But of course you need to wait until Summer for graduating. You also state "give me a reason to keep my husband and daughter here".....If it YOUR choice alone, I guess that's another burden ( making life changes , resting on your shoulders)..
I'd say run like heck in your cap and gown.....don't look back!
I'll enjoy the sunshine and mountains for you!!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I recommend you live in Los Angeles, California.
Out of the frying pan and into the FIRE!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,584 times
grass isn't always greener on the other side...........

the town I currently live in is SUPER yuppy. They are extremely stuck up, snotty rich people. Think "The Real Housewives of Orange County" and it's almost exactly like that. Full of people who care more about Country Clubs and buying their spoiled kids brand new cars then they do about the kids education. The burbs I live in are FULLLLLLLLLL of chain stores. You very rarely see mom and pop places.

I live in the far west burbs of Chicago and I can't WAIT to move to Denver! Everyone there that I've met and run into are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more friendly then the people I encounter around Chicago./

The grass is NOT always greener on the other side.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
Thumbs down disappointed in denver

Like my username states, Colorado, and particularly Denver is way over-rated. I've lived in and worked in cities all over the country; the south,
mid-atlantic, northeast, midwest, and now unfortunately Colorado. Great place to visit, maybe spend a week skiing and such, but that's as long as
anyone should stay here. If you like dry, flat, terrain with no lakes(the reservoirs PLEASE, DON'T EVEN GO THERE) with people who are kind of distant, pretty nice, but definitely not overly friendly, than this is the place. Sure the Rockies are nice but how many people can afford to ski there on a regular basis. I'm really glad I only signed a 6 month contract,
because I can't wait to get the heck out of here. No city is perfect and maybe my expectations were too high, but what a disappointment this experience has been. But I will say this, I like Denver more than Atlanta,
but then again, in my opinion almost any city is better than Atlanta.
Anybody who says Denver is the greatest city in the country, really hasn't been too many places. Good riddins, Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver