Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM

152 posts, read 617,843 times

Advertisements

I've just gotta say, I don't get all of the hype, or the bashing that Highlands Ranch seems to get. Does anyone feel like it's just "normal" to have some sort of reaction when HR comes up? To me, it looks like just another suburb. There's nothing particularly nice about it. Many of the houses I've seen and been in were built in the 80's and 90's. The only thing I can tell that it has going for it are the trails.

It seems like a status thing to say you live in HR, but the first time I actually drove through the neighborhoods, I was very underwhelmed.

So, why do people bash it like they do? it seems to be a generational thing. Like, if you grew up thinking HR was the pinnacle of "having money and making it", then you still have that mindset, even though in reality, HR should not get the attention it does.

Before I even moved here, I heard all the hype of HR. It was either "you gotta check out HR, it's soooooo nice" or "stay away from HR, it's yuppieville"

What's your take on it?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 PM

6,797 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I'm curious about this too. I wasn't living in Denver while it was being built so maybe I'm missing something? I know sometimes some of the posts on this forum seem to suggest that people who live there tend to think that they're better than everyone else, but I haven't personally experienced anyone acting like that.

I will say, however, that I'm fairly neutral about it. I probably wouldn't live there myself (too far from my job) but I also wouldn't go out of my way to belittle those who choose to live there or happen to like the area. Live and let live, you know?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I have lived in HR for about 20 months. We chose it over other communities because of the rec centers, trails, and parks; and because we were looking for a newer house that didn't need updating. Coming from out of state, I had no preconceived notions about HR. I have heard others who lived in Denver for college, or whatever, say that they said they'd never live in HR. Then they had kids and realized all it has going for it. People call it cookie cutter, which drives me nuts because all of the suburbs are cookie cutter. To me, HR is better because it is planned instead of a mish mash of housing tracts butting up to each other. I think it is a great place to raise a family. Also, my husband works in Littleton, so it isn't like he's commuting all the way downtown from out here. I think people who bash it either A) hate ALL suburbs, B) assume all suburbanites commute all the way to Denver, and think HR is too far out or C) have no idea what they are talking about.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else. i think we made the best location choice for us.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:22 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
I knew a couple of people who lived there and they had a huge nice looking home with an itty bitty easy to maintain yard; so low maintenance.

They could have cared less if you'd want to bash it for whatever reason. They didn't seem to go out of their way to act uppity about living there or to brag about living in "HR!" They just ... sort of... lived there.

It was good for one of my friends because we both worked in Centennial, near Parker; so he had a short drive to work. I lived in Littleton, so I had to drive a bit further than he did. They're right between the Factory Outlets of Castle Rock and Park Meadows for mall shopping and stuff. Although the traffic and volume can be bad, they can jump on C470 or Deer Creek Canyon to head to the mountains and can jump on E470 to head to the airport or head south on I-25 to catch an Air Force Falcon game. It's not too bad. All kinds of good golfing around there if you need. The Tech Center is right there. The view of the mountains is incredible from there. The high schools and perhaps other schools are perhaps good.

Some people would rather live in the south end of the metro as opposed to up north in say, Thornton or Northglenn. Matter of preference, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
...I don't get all of the hype, or the bashing that Highlands Ranch seems to get. Does anyone feel like it's just "normal" to have some sort of reaction when HR comes up? To me, it looks like just another suburb. There's nothing particularly nice about it. Many of the houses I've seen and been in were built in the 80's and 90's. The only thing I can tell that it has going for it are the trails.

It seems like a status thing to say you live in HR, but the first time I actually drove through the neighborhoods, I was very underwhelmed.

So, why do people bash it like they do? it seems to be a generational thing. Like, if you grew up thinking HR was the pinnacle of "having money and making it", then you still have that mindset, even though in reality, HR should not get the attention it does.

...Before I even moved here, I heard all the hype of HR...

So I can't figure out if the OP is adding to the hype/bashing of HR, or just venting.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think people who bash it either A) hate ALL suburbs, .
I think that's the core of it. Certain people, and they know who they are, hate suburbs for some reason. And Highlands Ranch is suburbia on a pretty big scale so it becomes the lightning rod for all their hate. I would turn it around on them and ask what's so great about paying $280/sf to live on a busy street with no parking, between a used car lot and a fire station, within ear shot of police helicopters, just to be 15 minutes closer to work? Hey, we can all stereotype, right?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
You'll see this "bashing" going on pretty much all the forums. On the Albuquerque forum that I frequent, people are always bashing Rio Rancho. It makes the supposed "enlightened" self-styled "urbanites" feel good about themselves. What's really funny is when people who themselves live in pretty suburban neighborhoods like to trash other suburbs. Truth is, Highlands Ranch is a pretty nice master planned community. I don't think it's the end-all, be-all of places to live, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,770 times
Kudos to all the PPs. I think you've all hit on some key points. For some, HR is a horrible second-fiddle to older suburbs. For others, it's a snooty bastion of yuppies. I suppose some see it as both of those. I see it as neither.

If I were young and single, would I choose HR? No. When I was young and single, I hung out in NYC. If I were older and retiring, would I retire to HR? Eh, probably not. For where I am right now in life, with two small kids and a job south of Denver, it's a great fit. Would other suburbs also be good fits? Of course.

The only general sense I get from the people of HR overall is one of being happy to live in a nice place that has a ton of family-friendly features.

So I suppose I agree with the OP - I'm not sure what the big deal is either.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
When I think of HR I think of aluminum siding houses, do they have any other like brick or stucco?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I think that's the core of it. Certain people, and they know who they are, hate suburbs for some reason. And Highlands Ranch is suburbia on a pretty big scale so it becomes the lightning rod for all their hate. I would turn it around on them and ask what's so great about paying $280/sf to live on a busy street with no parking, between a used car lot and a fire station, within ear shot of police helicopters, just to be 15 minutes closer to work? Hey, we can all stereotype, right?
This, really reminded me of one of your older posts (from last summer):

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So I don't have a soul and an enriched life unless I choose to live in an old house in a questionable neighborhood within a stone's throw of an auto body shop and a liquor store or in a giant high-rise condo downtown? Wow, talk about judgmental.
I just thought the correlation between the two posts was funny. The one above was directed at me way back when. But it is

I am one of those people that hates suburbs for some reason, even though I live in Denver metro's biggest one, and I know who I am. (Sarcasm warning) It's just that I'm dying to have that big city address. I'd love to see my mail come in and have that "big city" name under my name.

In all seriousness though, I just don't like newer homes and long commutes, that really is the root of it. And that's not to say all commutes are long, and kudos to those that don't have a long one, but y'all have to agree the vast majority of homes are newer, yet I can see how for some that can be a good thing. I just don't enjoy newer homes' outer aesthetic appeal, which IMO have none. I would even go as far to say that some people in HR might commute further than necessary. The homogeneity of the area is also a turn-off (to me), and makes me a little uncomfortable. But all of this is just my opinion and y'all can live however you like.

To me, the extra 15 minutes off the road is worth it, and my house would not be even close to $280/sf. None of the other stereotypes fit either, but it's all in good fun.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
When I think of HR I think of aluminum siding houses, do they have any other like brick or stucco?
there are a few stucco houses in my neighborhood. Most also have stone or brick somewhere on the front and sides. Doesn't seem any different than older suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver