Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times

Advertisements

Article from 2-16-09 New York Times, based on information from the Pew Research Center :

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/opinion/17brooks.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

For me, David Brooks is on target with this description -

"...If you jumble together the five most popular American metro areas — Denver, San Diego, Seattle, Orlando and Tampa — you get an image of the American Dream circa 2009. These are places where you can imagine yourself with a stuffed garage — filled with skis, kayaks, soccer equipment, hiking boots and boating equipment. These are places you can imagine yourself leading an active outdoor lifestyle.

These are places (except for Orlando) where spectacular natural scenery is visible from medium-density residential neighborhoods, where the boundary between suburb and city is hard to detect. These are places with loose social structures and relative social equality, without the Ivy League status system of the Northeast or the star structure of L.A. These places are car-dependent and spread out, but they also have strong cultural identities and pedestrian meeting places. They offer at least the promise of friendlier neighborhoods, slower lifestyles and service-sector employment. They are neither traditional urban centers nor atomized suburban sprawl. They are not, except for Seattle, especially ideological, blue or red.

They offer the dream, so characteristic on this continent, of having it all: the machine and the garden. The wide-open space and the casual wardrobes...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM

152 posts, read 617,876 times
Good article

Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 PM

45 posts, read 164,492 times
I read that article this morning. Gave me the warm fuzzies inside!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,854 times
I disagree with this comment from the article (I say comment as no source is quoted): "Forty-five percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 would like to live in New York City..."

I have never known anyone who wanted to live in New York City and I have met a lot of people living in 20 different states in over 40 years!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
I disagree with this comment from the article (I say comment as no source is quoted): "Forty-five percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 would like to live in New York City..."

I have never known anyone who wanted to live in New York City and I have met a lot of people living in 20 different states in over 40 years!
Yes, Indeed many people want to live in New York City and they do move there to pursue their dreams. I tend to doubt the figures quoted in the article, but being an ex New Yorker and having worked and lived in NYC, the Big Apple is a magnet.

It is attractive for people who have certain dreams of success in the arts; that is live theatre, opera, ballet and music. It has the best schools and the most talented people who make it all happen. I was always surprised by the people I met from all over the country and the world that came to "The City" to learn and to become a success.

It certainly cannot be doubted that New York is the center of the world financial market and attracts those people who want to make their mark in the center of the Capitalistic system. Again, I met many people from every area of the country who were in NYC for this reason.

New York City is also a center of other industries that attract the talented and those who have other dreams. It is a leader in culinary arts and a center of fashions. It attracts people in so many different pursuits.

Yes, New York City is a desirable place to live and it shows in the burgeoning population. It surprises me everyday because I know that living in NYC is not all glamorous and exciting. Living in NYC can be very stressful but the idea of the article was that people are seeking to live in denser cities. It may be a new trend for some other areas of the country but for NYC, it has always been true.

I love NYC because I know that it is composed of very nice walkable neighborhoods, albeit extremely expensive. That really says it all--it would not be so expensive if people did not desire to live there. You can meet some extremely talented and intelligent people in NYC. However, I also hate NYC because of the aggressive manner of some residents and to me, it is too big and not a relaxing place to live.

So, I really do not understand what you are saying because I constantly meet intelligent and educated young people who want to move there---and that is type of people who are attracted there and will benefit from New York, New York; the best and the brightest of many professions. Perhaps your circle of acquaintances does not encompass these attributes. Of course, all will not move there permanently, but there are many who want to have the opportunity and the experience.

For me, it was the best of times and some not so, but I realized that there are other States, other cities that one can live a more tranquil life. New York City was the love of my youth, but Denver is now the love of the rest of my life.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-18-2009 at 01:55 AM..

Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:

I grew up in the NYC area and I can assure you.. many people from all over the world want to live there.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,854 times
Interesting that folks who grew up in/around NYC say many people want to live there. I guess they didn't stick around in the areas (20 different states) where I have lived - because I have never heard anyone say to me they wanted to live in NYC (in over 40 years). Makes the 45% statistic very questionable in my mind...as I stated above. In fact, I think I'll start a poll of people from Colorado on this website!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Interesting that folks who grew up in/around NYC say many people want to live there. I guess they didn't stick around in the areas (20 different states) where I have lived - because I have never heard anyone say to me they wanted to live in NYC (in over 40 years). Makes the 45% statistic very questionable in my mind...as I stated above. In fact, I think I'll start a poll of people from Colorado on this website!
You're gonna have to trust us on this one ;-)

21 million people didn't get there by accident

Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM

67 posts, read 192,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You're gonna have to trust us on this one ;-)

21 million people didn't get there by accident
Tons of people would most definitely choose to live there, especially if cost of living wasn't a road block

Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbiec View Post
Tons of people would most definitely choose to live there, especially if cost of living wasn't a road block
I chose not to live there. It is hard to live there. But almost everyone I grew up with moved there, from the suburbs. It's good until you want kids, then it becomes pretty impossible. It's not just cost of living, it's the noise, stress, attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver