Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 03:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
A while ago I wrote a post about what I disliked about Denver. I wrote it in a very nice and civil way. My complaints were not offensive. But still, I had a lot of sour people saying "Move", "Get out", "You won't be happy anywhere", "You must be an unhappy person", etc.

It was that good ol' Denver hospitality They were acting like I must have the problem since I didn't like it there.

Well, I took your wonderful advice and I got out of Denver, and I am very happy

I am once again in a place that feels interesting. I can walk out the door and actually talk to people and make friends without getting that stone cold vibe. I am in a place with a strong community, a place full of opportunity, a place where lots of the people have energy and coolness.

I can actually walk places or ride my bike without driving 10 miles through ungodly sprawl. There are hills and valleys. It is not at a high altitude and has nice thick air to breathe. There is a rail system that goes through the whole city. I am a day trip away from several other big cities and the ocean.

These are all things that are lacking in Denver. And these are all things that many, many other places do have, that Denver is missing out on.

Denver had a few good qualities, and every place has its downside. But I for one I am extremely happy to be out of there. I have lived in a lot of different places, and Denver was one of the most colorless and uninteresting experiences i've ever had.

The only cool part about Denver are the escapes to the mountains that are 40 minutes away. To those of you who told me to get out of Denver, I thank you very much. That was great advice you gave me. You are awesome

You can keep your mountains, your insular culture of extreme privacy, and your boring, safe streets. It's not enough for me. I want something more.

Adios

I agree with you 100%. Back in 1995 I tried to move to Denver. What a mistake. I was born and grew up in Phoenix, Arizona. I always hated it though and wanted to leave. I could not imagine anywhere that could be worse but Denver fit that bill. Absolutely terrible weather, as in extremely cold and snowy which made it very depressing. The people there were even more stuck up than Phoenix, and it had far less entertainment. That alone is pretty sad since Phoenix is lacking in entertainment too. After a month living in that hellhole I went back to Phoenix. Eventually, I made it to Las Vegas and have found it to be the best city hands down IMO that I have lived in. I have never had the urge to move ever since unlike some other places.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I agree with you 100%. Back in 1995 I tried to move to Denver. What a mistake. I was born and grew up in Phoenix, Arizona. I always hated it though and wanted to leave. I could not imagine anywhere that could be worse but Denver fit that bill. Absolutely terrible weather, as in extremely cold and snowy which made it very depressing. The people there were even more stuck up than Phoenix, and it had far less entertainment. That alone is pretty sad since Phoenix is lacking in entertainment too. After a month living in that hellhole I went back to Phoenix. Eventually, I made it to Las Vegas and have found it to be the best city hands down IMO that I have lived in. I have never had the urge to move ever since unlike some other places.
I think "one person's heaven is another's hell" would be appropriate here. Here's my take on Las Vegas: It's like living in a giant, vegetation-free oven half the year, lacks an urban environment, rock yards were hiddeous, the Strip was just tacky, and since my idea of quality entertainment isn't smoking and throwing money away, I found it boring.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Why would you need a link when you even admit that you found one confirming that denver has the 10th largest CBD? You looking for peer review or what? Just trolling around???

Another link about denver's 10th largest CBD
Press Kit Detail
Press Kit Detail
There aren't any footnotes or links on their site that tell you how they reached this conclusion. Are we just supposed to take their word for it?

Quote:
Your facts are just wrong. You just typed in zip codes and assumed they coincided with a down town area? thats funny. I live in 80203 and there's 20k in that zip. But not all of that zip is in the downtown area.

Over 10k live in Denver CBD
Downtown Denver Partnership, Inc. | HOME PAGE

I cant find anything on how many people living in downtown Milwaukee. You need to post a link to back up your claim that that zip code coinsides with the downtown population.
http://www.city-data.com/zips/80202.html
http://www.city-data.com/zips/53202.html
The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!
First of all, 80203 is Capitol Hill, not Downtown. The zip code for Downtown Denver is 80202. Within that zip code lives 4,616 people. Downtown Milwaukee is located in the zip code 53202, where 21,152 people live.

Quote:
Also, your facts are wrong about fortune 500 companies. You said:

"Denver only has 6 Fortune 500 Companies. Columbus has 9, Memphis has 8, Oklahoma City has 3, and Sacramento only has 1. Denver isn't exactly light years ahead of these cities by any measure. My city, Milwaukee, has 10 Fortune 500 Companies."

Colombus has seven and Milwaukee has six (obviously because of its proximity to chicago).

FORTUNE 500 2006: Cities

Apparently you are the one that has no idea what they are talking about...
Fortune 500 2008: States - Colorado
Fortune 500 2008: States - Wisconsin
I accidentally included a couple Fortune 1000 Companies in my post. I was also just going by principal cities, not metropolitan areas. If I were to include Brookfield or Menominee Falls, Greater Milwaukee would have 8 companies in the Fortune 500, and 15 in the Fortune 1000. Metro Denver would have 10 in the Fortune 500, and 14 in the Fortune 1000.

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 02-25-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Without researching the exact details to the debate who has the larger downtown population, I would not be surprised to find out that Millwaukee's downtown population is larger than downtown Denver's..Downtown Denver proper is still not densly populated in relation to many cities...It is growing quickly though, but it does have a ways to go...

Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think "one person's heaven is another's hell" would be appropriate here. Here's my take on Las Vegas: It's like living in a giant, vegetation-free oven half the year, lacks an urban environment, rock yards were hideous, the Strip was just tacky, and since my idea of quality entertainment isn't smoking and throwing money away, I found it boring.
'

I agree, different strokes for different folks. I personally love the strip and hang out there at least once a week. The entertainment in Vegas can not be beat IMO. I can not stand the cold and I even find Vegas to be a little too cold for me. I do not mind the heat, I am a lizard LOL.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
'

I agree, different strokes for different folks. I personally love the strip and hang out there at least once a week. The entertainment in Vegas can not be beat IMO. I can not stand the cold and I even find Vegas to be a little too cold for me. I do not mind the heat, I am a lizard LOL.
Ironically, the first time I ever went to LV was in January of 2000 (I lived in Orange County) and didn't even bring a jacket. I about froze to death! Or so I thought anyway. I think it was highs in the 40s, lows in the 30s. The second time I was there was in August, so it was just a tad warmer.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
'

Vegas has some nice vistas and interesting outcroppings,desert trails adjacent to the city..makes for great hiking,biking in the cooler months..I have had both some hellish experiences, and some great times in that town...Still I crack a smile at the thought of heading to Vegas for a few days...Not really the town I would choose to live in myself, but it's not all bad or anything..I prefer the Palm Springs area and phoenix to Vegas for warm winter climate visits though...It's just to cool to lounge around the pool in Vegas Dec-April...There is a NYC style italian place in a strip mall there in Vegas that has some of the best pizza I have sampled in all the West...and of course some of the best fine dining available virtually 24/7..

Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,606 times
LOL. Vegas is fun to visit for a few days, never more than a few is the key. I've always thought it was a nice place to visit but never to live in.

Now, if you think Denver has terrible weather (btw my sister in Ft. Collins just told me it is hitting 70 or so-that's harsh february winter weather at its worst) and is full of cold stoned, cold hearted homogenous people then you should be talking more of Salt Lake City. I've lived here for six long years and I can't wait to get out and move to Denver this spring. I have visted Den a lot over the past several years and have never found it to be anything but, well, interesting. I guess if you love the urban environment, coffee shops, Tattered Cover and a huge variety of bars/pubs then Denver would be a great fit.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Ya it was 68 degrees here yesterday..it's 66 right now headed towards 70 here today--Denver is always hellishly cold in the winter....

Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
LOL. Vegas is fun to visit for a few days, never more than a few is the key. I've always thought it was a nice place to visit but never to live in.

Now, if you think Denver has terrible weather (btw my sister in Ft. Collins just told me it is hitting 70 or so-that's harsh february winter weather at its worst) and is full of cold stoned, cold hearted homogenous people then you should be talking more of Salt Lake City. I've lived here for six long years and I can't wait to get out and move to Denver this spring. I have visted Den a lot over the past several years and have never found it to be anything but, well, interesting. I guess if you love the urban environment, coffee shops, Tattered Cover and a huge variety of bars/pubs then Denver would be a great fit.

So far for February, our high temps in Denver have been 2 days in the 30s, 8 days in the 40s, 6 days in the 50s, and 7 days in the 60s. These are temps recorded out at the airport, which is colder than in the city (got it elle-bare?),<---inside joke! so it's actually hit 70 once or twice in the city. The forecast calls for one more day in the 60s and 2 in the 50s to end the month, so not too shabby.

I just did a comparison of Denver to SLC on weather.com and their average temps are very close, except that Denver is a little warmer on average from Nov - Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver