Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 AM

59 posts, read 191,421 times

Advertisements

One person’s utopia is another’s hell. I’ve seen and experienced that several times. Since the OP did post so many times why he/she was so unhappy in Denver, it would be interesting to know where they landed. CO isn’t for everyone, but neither is any other place the right choice for all.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 AM

49 posts, read 157,440 times
Odd, I moved here last May and had found everything you seemed to miss. A cool neighborhood (cap hill), tons of friendly people, i've made so many new friends so quickly, a 10 minute bike ride to work. Walk downtown or to the ballpark etc in 25 minutes. Lots of cool music and clubs to see bands in (a favorite past time of mine), fairly affordable in comparison to where i came from, i could go on and on but won't. I'm just wondering what area you lived in, maybe a bland suburb location i'm guessing. Anyways, sorry you didn't find it hear, and glad you found it elsewhere.

ps Daniboi, i'm from MI as well, and glad i left!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,227,959 times
Funkymonk:

I can relate to some of what you are saying: especially regarding the unfriendliness of the people in Denver. I've found the people here to be a bit cold and distant. Don't get me wrong... I've met plenty of great, nice people here, but in my experience, the overall vibe is unfriendly.

I must say however, that I enjoy living in Denver. There are some definate minuses, but nowhere is perfect. We lots tons of great neighborhoods to explore. I think there is plenty to do here. Did you live in the suburbs? The suburbs always seemed a bit bland and borring to me.

Good luck to you: where did you end up going?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Yup, some people on this forum have a huge pride in their city. It seems like they just totally can't stand anything bad said about it. Even if it's said very tastefully and well-written, and you repeatedly say that it's just your opinion (like your name).

I can't relate to it myself because i've always moved around a lot and don't really have a "hometown". I wonder if some of these people walk around everywhere wearing Broncos jackets and hats
HAAAA your last paragraph/sentence cracked me up. I feel it's true to some extent. And I'm a native. I do not allow Bronco paraphenalia in my home. I too dislike Denver, but I've often said it's because I grew up here and I'm just so sick of looking at it. I'm not a mountainy person and that reason alone means I don't belong here. I hate skiing. Hate snow. I'll go as soon as I can, pending the housing crunch.

So, where did you go that you like it? A smaller town? A bigger city? I'm jealous that you just up and moved. I wish I could do that. I suppose I can. Once my husband finishes school, we'll probably lose our shirts on our house just to get out, but it can be done. Good luck to you!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times
First of all, Denver is 80% suburbs, so many of you are saying 80% of Denver is bland and boring. Second, why does everyone assume FunkyMonk lived in the suburbs? Judging by his past posts I would guess he lived somewhere around City Park or Congress Park. Denver is pretty sprawling once you leave the boundary of Colorado Blvd, Alameda, Federal, and MLK. Highland and Park Hill are exceptions, but for the most part, the rest of Denver is indistinguishable from Commerce City, Aurora, Lakewood, Greenwood Village, and Englewood. For all of those from Michigan who think Denver is Shangri-La, no offense, but almost any state would probably seem better considering the current state of your economy. I'm glad he got out. Nobody should live where they are unhappy.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM

229 posts, read 750,439 times
Well, you did give it a couple of months in Denver. Do us a favor though, don't continue posting in the Denver City Data board for the next few years because you lived here for a little brief period and thought it sucked. We get it, Denver blows. Best of luck in Asia or wherever you are.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,255 times
Glad you found your own slice of heaven. Keep in mind though, that whatever city you chose is likely a place that other people hate. The beauty of America is that there are 50 states to chose from. Beaches, Mountains, Cities, Country, Suburbus, High-Rises, 4 Seasons, Summer Year-Round, Tropics, Desert, Farmland, etc, etc. I have been lucky to have lived my life all over the country and while Denver is not the place I would live if I won the lottery, I have found that each place is what you make of it. I like the beach myself, but have found that embracing my "inner granola girl" has helped me find things to do in Colorado.

I don't think the people are super friendly here but I disagree totally that they are snobby or cold. I lived in Florida and everyone came over to our house within the first 3 days of moving in. Frankly, it was a little disconcerting though we eventually got used to it. The problem is that I don't particularly want to sit on my porch drinking beer with my neighbors and have bonfires every night. That's too much neighborhood interaction for me! People don't roll out the welcome mat for you when you move here, but we found that a few days out in the front yard, whether it's with our kids, the dog, washing our car or planting flowers usually opens up doors because when your neighbors come out, you can say "hello" and go over to introduce yourself. Plus, having kids is an automatic social life as you've got to be a total snob not to talk to other parents who have their kids enrolled in the same dance class/sports club/after school program/school class. Just being in my neighborhood means that I know most of the parents of the kids in my daughter's class.

Sorry Colorado didn't suit you but hopefully you will find happiness wherever you moved. Being unhappy where you live is just not worth it especially when there are so many other places to chose from.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 PM

62 posts, read 212,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboi81 View Post
I will say that I absolutely love Denver, the weather, and the mountains. I grew up and lived in Grand Rapids, MI for the first 27 years of my life and while I felt at home, I was not all upset to leave it. Between the crappy and cloudy weather, lack of outdoor activities (except beaches in summer), and a bad economy, I am much happier here in Denver then I ever was in Michigan. Albeit I live just outside of Denver in the country, I like that I have a big city 20 - 30 minutes away.

But I do respect that while I may love it here, everyone is different and is entitled to form their own opinions.
GR native -> Denverite here too! That's exactly why I left and love it here too!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,286 times
Quote:
I can actually walk places or ride my bike without driving 10 miles through ungodly sprawl.
So can I. I did not choose to live way out in the sticks and then ***** and moan about having done so.

Moderator cut: rude
Quote:
You can keep your mountains, your insular culture of extreme privacy, and your boring, safe streets. It's not enough for me. I want something more.
Again, you never actually lived in Denver. As such your comments about Denver are about as valid as they would be of Hays Kansas.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 02-23-2009 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,243 times
Hey jj, just wanted to point out, I didn't see anyone assume. Many just asked. Surely even you can admit a gigantic difference between Lakewood and Capitol Hill. Also, you completely left out the northern burbs, some of which are a little different from each other. I for one see a very noticable difference from Thornton (a little trashier and poorer) and Westminster (what me and my friends call "the rich side"). There's definitely more money being spent there than Thornton.

I totally agree with your last sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
First of all, Denver is 80% suburbs, so many of you are saying 80% of Denver is bland and boring. Second, why does everyone assume FunkyMonk lived in the suburbs? Judging by his past posts I would guess he lived somewhere around City Park or Congress Park. Denver is pretty sprawling once you leave the boundary of Colorado Blvd, Alameda, Federal, and MLK. Highland and Park Hill are exceptions, but for the most part, the rest of Denver is indistinguishable from Commerce City, Aurora, Lakewood, Greenwood Village, and Englewood. For all of those from Michigan who think Denver is Shangri-La, no offense, but almost any state would probably seem better considering the current state of your economy. I'm glad he got out. Nobody should live where they are unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver