Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I haven't heard about other states, but Gov Arnold made the announcement last week. Seems California is the state in the biggest financial hole. Their legislature just spent months hashing out their budget...basically everything is being cut, no one is getting a state tax return, license plate fees are going up, city services are being cut and they are raising gas prices.

California is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to buy a house there. You know it says something when Suze Orman told a couple having financial problems that the first step is that they need to leave California. She said that California is the most expensive place to live. It's become the land of the rich and those who do their housework and lawns. Very unfortunate because overall, the state has some gorgeous scenery. But between the illegal immigrant problem, the housing bust, the natural disasters and their idiot government, the people there are really going to suffer. Plus, you know the rumor about the next earthquake coming which will drop California into the ocean.
I heard Florida was taking it almost as bad as Calif. I'm not sure which state has it worst financially.

As to immigration, that's hardly just a Calif. issue. And notice I say issue and not problem. Just my stance. I'm really opinionated.

No offense, but Suze Orman is a complete idiot IMHO. Even financial gurus laugh at her. However, having financial problems and living in Calif. seems to be a no-brainer solution - leave.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I heard Florida was taking it almost as bad as Calif. I'm not sure which state has it worst financially.

As to immigration, that's hardly just a Calif. issue. And notice I say issue and not problem. Just my stance. I'm really opinionated.

No offense, but Suze Orman is a complete idiot IMHO. Even financial gurus laugh at her. However, having financial problems and living in Calif. seems to be a no-brainer solution - leave.
You're right. I am not a financial expert so I need to be educated at elementary school level. Her advice is very basic...no credit card debt, live within your means, and if you don't get paid enough, get an additional job. Not rocket science.

I am not contributing an opinion about illegal immigrants. I just know that California's medical system is in huge turmoil because of the added costs of those without documents, billing addresses or money. I'm sure there are plenty of US citizens in the same boat, it's just that California has the highest number of illegal immigrants and their facilities are stressed. I don't think it's a coincidence that 3 of the 10 listed below have large illegal populations. Again, I'm not a "build a fence" type, but the reality is that without a way to bill people for their medical expenses, the ERs are absolutely overrun and the care will suffer.

The states with the biggest budget shortfalls are in order: California (22% budget gap), Arizona (19.9%), Florida (19.9%), Nevada (16%), Rhode Island (13.1%), New York (9.8%), Alabama (9.6%), Georgia (8.7%), New Jersey (7.7%) and Maryland (7.2%). There are 23 states on the list.

Colorado is not even on the list. That's according to the Center on Budget Policy Priorities.

As a parent of an elementary school kid, I am happy that she has music, art, gym, computer class, etc available. There are certainly other states that don't have the money and since the first thing usually to get cut are schools, that is one huge reason to live in our state.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:

In Suze Orman voice: "OK People! If you- don't have - a million dollars - in your matress RIGHT NOW. You. Are going. To DIE! But I have good news people. You can order my latest DVD for $49.95 that will make you a reponsible citizen and get you out of the MESS that YOU put - yourself- INTO!"

I find her to be very annoying.

Last edited by denverian; 02-27-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I just know that California's medical system is in huge turmoil because of the added costs of those without documents, billing addresses or money. I'm sure there are plenty of US citizens in the same boat, it's just that California has the highest number of illegal immigrants and their facilities are stressed. I don't think it's a coincidence that 3 of the 10 listed below have large illegal populations.
I'd like to see your proof on hospitals suffering due to illegal immigrants. A quick search shows that hospitals are suffering due to uninsured. And a quick look at the amount of S. Californians who have either lost their jobs or who are working but don't qualify for insurance thru their employer is staggering.

Quote:
but the reality is that without a way to bill people for their medical expenses, the ERs are absolutely overrun and the care will suffer.
I do agree with this, but disagree that it's an immigration problem. And BTW, hospitals do bill, plenty, but if you aren't paying you aren't paying.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM

She is annoying. I've found better, basic money info on msn.com. Sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
In Suze Orman voice: "OK People! If you- don't have - a million dollars - in your matress RIGHT NOW. You. Are going. To DIE! But I have good news people. You can order my latest DVD for $49.95 that will make you a reponsible citizen and get you out of the MESS that YOU put - yourself- INTO!"

I find her to be very annoying.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Maybe this is part of my dilemma? It could be some people's problems with living here. I think this part of the country is hugely children-oriented and if you don't have 'em, well, it does make having a social life kind of a challenge. Not that it can't be done.
This is actually very true. Out of every place I've traveled to and spent a degree of time in, suburban Denver might very well be the most child-centric place I've ever been to.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
I'd like to see your proof on hospitals suffering due to illegal immigrants. A quick search shows that hospitals are suffering due to uninsured.
Guess who makes up a large percentage of the uninsured in California.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Guess who makes up a large percentage of the uninsured in California.
Again, what's with just throwing out statements that are unsupported? Further, it should be noted that numbers of illegals in this country are highly undocumented, not to mention in hospitals.

Perhaps some research would help those who believe pointing the finger at anyone (except for who it should be pointed at) to relieve their scapegoatitis:
A lot of people assume the emergency room overcrowding problem is due to undocumented immigrants," said Jan Emerson of the California Hospital Association. "That’s not what we see. They show up when they truly need emergency care."
Uninsured Illegal Immigrants Often Go Without Conventional Health Care | Cover the Uninsured

Focusing on Healthcare Costs of Illegal Immigrants Draws Attention Away from the Real Problem - Hospital Association of Southern California / Lott on Healthcare

Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM

Mike, that's really interesting. What places did you find to be less kid-centric? I'm guessing the most urban areas in cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This is actually very true. Out of every place I've traveled to and spent a degree of time in, suburban Denver might very well be the most child-centric place I've ever been to.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:16 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times
Totally urban areas! You lived on the Hill WantsToStay, did you see any kids running around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver