Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,071,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
In my neighborhood (Stapleton) I've noticed many people buying high-end cars and having their basements finished and going on tropical vacations. You'd never know anything was wrong with the economy here Except for John Laing going bankrupt and abandoning a few half-built houses, and overall building has slowed.

Personally, I'm about tapped due to the expene of twins - I figured with day care, they cost over $3000 per month And my job is now on its second raise-less year So we're only eating out about once per month, and not buying much for ourselves right now other than the necessities.

At least emoticons are free, so I'm going overboard with those
You know there is becoming a clearer and clearer division line with the rich and poor. ABC has a report on about the ultra rich and how their loves have not chaged on bit. They were interviewing a guy who just bought a $40,000.00 suit.

Amen for emotioncons! I use them all the time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I didn't have that extravagant a lifestyle to begin with so I haven't really done much. I paid off my credit card and then the bank turned off my debit card without warning so I had to use the CC again as so many stores won't take checks any more - that was a bit of a pain. I've always shopped at places that have a discount card for groceries and gas. I've always supported my local public libraries so I spend about half what I used to on paperbacks and I hate shopping for clothes as everything seems designed for 15-year old stick insects nowadays (gods I sound old !). If I need household items I don't go as much to Target now but go to Bed Bath & Beyond with one of their 20% coupons they send every other week. I don't read magazines except when I treat myself to coffee in Barnes & Noble once a month and I read newspapers online.

Frankly, I'm more worried about how to stop my 401(k) evaporating into the mist!
I love the library for DVDs, music, magazines and books. Each Denver Public Library branch use to spend 250,000 on music alone annually. Not sure that will stay that way, but great way to save on entertainment.

I could have easily paid off my mortgage and bought a new car with the amount I lost in my 401K. If you try to cash in your, it takes 7-10 for the investment companies to cut you a check and then 2 weeks for the banks to clear the check. This is not what it use to be but I have a feeling that lending institutions are not trusting one another and the delay is precautionary. Plus, it will prevent all of us from running and cashing in our 401Ks at the same time, hence, resulting in a full blown depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I cut the paper to only weekends (now I guess just Sunday.) I stopped all magazine subscriptions. I only buy meat on clearance or on sale. I try to stay away from the middle aisles in the grocery stores (just the edges, produce, meat, dairy, bread.) I turned the heat down to 55. I use a 5 gallon bucket to capture shower water for the humidifier & houseplants.

I donate more stuff we have just sitting around. We have been shopping the goodwill store for the kids.

I am busy with clients and closings, it is just taking twice as long to close. If I am lucky.
I also cut back to Sundays only with my paper and basically stopped buying clothes until absolutely necessary. For guys and underwear, this can be a dangerous recommendation as some of the guys I have seen at the gym have some that look like Swiss cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
My hours at work recently got cut. I am only working 4 days a week, 32 hours a week. Sucks because that's a big hit for me financially. I've just got to buck up and start saving more. I've kind of been spending out of control lately and am barely making it paycheck to paycheck. Not smart.
I am sorry to hear this but seems like a trend to keep people employeed. As long as it doesn't effect insurance benefits then it can be worth it to at least have a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
In Arvada last summer 3 asphalt overlay projects were cancelled, and only one road got chip sealed, which is inferior to overlay. Also, two businesses in Olde Town have closed recently. I hope The D Note and Bliss can manage to hang on. They've brought great local music, food, and fun to town.
Sub-standard business will only cost us more in the future, think of the earthquakes in China and collasped schools.

Sad to hear of what others are experiencing. If you haven't had to face any personal dilemmas, what have you done to help those in need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,690,061 times
Interesting you mention the libraries, Denver. I saw/read somewhere very recently that the libraries are getting inundated with borrowers. True sign of economic hardship.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,071,225 times
The other place that I am seeing crowds is T.J. Maxx, Ross and Big Lots. I never use to go to Big Lots until someone told me what they had. It is not expried stuff, just over stocked items. Seems like stuff flies off the shelves there.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:06 PM

229 posts, read 748,331 times
I'm attaching suspenders to my barrel.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,137,064 times
It's interesting because fortunately for my family, we've done everything we're supposed to do: No credit card debt, bought a house that was WAY lower (more than $100,000 less) than we were qualified for, eat out only once a week (and then usually only for lunch as it's the same food but cheaper), and have cut back on clothes and "extras" unless we really need them.

We have noticed a smaller crowd out at restaurants and have occassionally asked our server about it. Every one of them have said they've noticed a downturn. However, I went to my hairdresser's last week (which is fairly upscale...I pay $140 for a cut, color and highlights) in LoDo and I asked her about any sign of the down economy. She said she has been surprised because they haven't felt any downturn at all. I guess you can't put a price on looking good.

A few things we've done and I can stand behind every one of them as good advice:

1. Turn down your thermostat. We moved here after living in Florida and occassionally just cannot stand the cold. We normally have our thermostat set at 69 (no comments please ) but in January, we just couldn't take it. We turned it up to 71. The combination of gas and electricity went up $80. I nearly had heart failure. We decided to start wearing warmer clothes in the house and using blankets. This month's bill was back down almost $80. That is a noticeable difference during two months that have similar weather.

2. When you make dinner at home, make a little extra. Throw in an extra chicken breast or boil more pasta. Put it in Tupperware and take it to work for lunch. It helps break up the sandwich routine. Also, the difference between a medium pizza and a large one is about $3. Order the large and wrap the extra slices in foil so you can eat it for lunch the next day.

3. Go to the library. It's been said here before but I was there on Tuesday and they had a new book that had come out the previous week sitting near the checkout. It's great for kids to read new books and it won't cost you a thing. They also have fun book clubs, baby/toddler storytimes and kids groups that meet.

4. Choose a "staycation". We live in Colorado! When the economy is good, people have our state on their vacation radar. When you don't have to buy plane tickets and take 2 day roadtrips, you save a lot of money. We went to Durango last fall and had a blast. Horseback riding, taking the train, mountain biking, etc. It's nice for a family (even during hard times) to take a break. If you just go to work every day, you will feel like you're constantly on the hamster wheel. Take a few days and get out of the city with your family or friends. You feel rejuvenated and it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

5. When going to Starbucks, if you are wanting an iced latte (at $2.75), order an iced coffee ($1.75) instead and ask for extra room at the top. Turn around to the milk/napkin area and put in your own milk for free. This probably applies to other drinks as well but that's my usual order.

6. Stop going to the movies! What an absolute rip off for a movie that may or may not stink! We have On Demand from Comcast and they have movies that are just out for $4.99. The movie, Australia, for example has just left theaters. I wanted to see it but at $6.00 for a matinee, I decided to wait. It is released on Tuesday and will be on Comcast then too. My entire family can watch it, we can make our own popcorn and I don't have to worry about my 6 year old asking to go to the bathroom!

7. Go to Barnes and Noble (or Borders) and read your magazines. Sometimes I just need a time out. For a $4.00 cup of coffee, I grab a chair and read stupid magazines like People. It's a nice escape.

I could go on an on, but here's the last one:

8. Go to Kraftfoods.com and Campbellsoups.com and get recipes. There are some great recipes out there that are quick and easy. If you plan a shopping list based on these recipes and stick to your list, you will save a huge amount of money at the grocery store. Also, there is not much difference between generics and name brand. A few items I won't do generics, but when you're talking about corn or tomatoes or cereal, there really isn't much difference. Same goes for cleaning supplies. Also, really look at the prices of things at the grocery store. Don't be fooled by sale tags sticking out. Most of the time, you will find that there is a cheaper alternative without the fanfare on the aisle. Walmart is notorious for that. They always have some "great deal" on the end of an aisle, but when you actually look at it, you'll see that something else is cheaper.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 PM

795 posts, read 2,403,195 times
I came here a few months ago and have yet to find employment. I recently graduated with a BA in Sacramento and saw the dire economic circumstances unfolding so I headed out east. Not only did Denver offer a vibrant urban core but had natural beauty and a low unemployment rate. however, I worry that many other people like me made the same decision and came to seek employment, making Denver's unemployment rate are misleading. Possibly there exist a large migrating workforce from other states that are not counted in the regions unemployment stats? I recently went to a job interview for a 9/hr job only to find 30 people sitting in the lobby in suits. I have also meet quote a few folks here that are from Michigan, Florida, and California, who are looking for work. Employers must be having a field day by using their discretion in such an overly abundant workforce. I'd be happy washing dishes right now but I don't have the five years of dish washing experience. What is a part time graduate student to do?

On another note, my relatives in the SF bay area say that it is common to see closed business. Here in Denver this is not too common. Although, I saw a few on Broadway in Cap hill that seemed to be closing down. Also, almost all projects in Sacramento have been cancelled or put on hold. I was sad to see a city that had great potential and a lot on its books dwindle in construction during last fall. - Denver is still going forth with a sizable amount of projects. When I graduated in May I sought out temp agencies to help start a flow of income. After several agencies staff recommend that I apply everywhere and hope for the best it dawned on me how bad California's economy was. I have not seen the despair, job layoff, sad stories(people committing suicide after losing a job with a new born baby on the way, walking in front of the light rail) in Denver that existed in Sacramento.

I have no idea what the font is doing...

Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
In my neighborhood (Stapleton) I've noticed many people buying high-end cars and having their basements finished and going on tropical vacations. You'd never know anything was wrong with the economy here Except for John Laing going bankrupt and abandoning a few half-built houses, and overall building has slowed.
Most of those people are probably in denial about the economy and are strapped just like the rest of us. On the news yesterday they focused on the new "middle class" homeless and every single on of them, without exception, mentioned that they wished they would have saved more. Most thought that their jobs were safe, until, inexplicably they were laid off. Most had nice TVs, their kids had Wiis and they drove nice cars. They were living paycheck to paycheck, but had a very nice life. It reminds me of that Chase commercial where that guy says something like, "Like my house? It's new." and he goes on and on about his car, his riding lawnmower, etc. Finally he says, "How do I do it? I'm up to my eyeballs in debt."

My family is doing fine. We have no credit card debt, a large emergency fund and fairly secure jobs (as of now). We could head off to the tropics too and probably afford to have our basement remodeled. We had to have a "family meeting" a while ago and decide which was more important. We decided that the $30,000 for the finished basement could wait a few years. Better to have that and know we can stay in our house while we looked for a job in case of an emergency than have a game room.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I came here a few months ago and have yet to find employment. I recently graduated with a BA in Sacramento and saw the dire economic circumstances unfolding so I headed out east. Not only did Denver offer a vibrant urban core but had natural beauty and a low unemployment rate. however, I worry that many other people like me made the same decision and came to seek employment, making Denver's unemployment rate are misleading. Possibly there exist a large migrating workforce from other states that are not counted in the regions unemployment stats? I recently went to a job interview for a 9/hr job only to find 30 people sitting in the lobby in suits. I have also meet quote a few folks here that are from Michigan, Florida, and California, who are looking for work. Employers must be having a field day by using their discretion in such an overly abundant workforce. I'd be happy washing dishes right now but I don't have the five years of dish washing experience. What is a part time graduate student to do?

On another note, my relatives in the SF bay area say that it is common to see closed business. Here in Denver this is not too common. Although, I saw a few on Broadway in Cap hill that seemed to be closing down. Also, almost all projects in Sacramento have been cancelled or put on hold. I was sad to see a city that had great potential and a lot on its books dwindle in construction during last fall. - Denver is still going forth with a sizable amount of projects. When I graduated in May I sought out temp agencies to help start a flow of income. After several agencies staff recommend that I apply everywhere and hope for the best it dawned on me how bad California's economy was. I have not seen the despair, job layoff, sad stories(people committing suicide after losing a job with a new born baby on the way, walking in front of the light rail) in Denver that existed in Sacramento.

I have no idea what the font is doing...
Have you thought about working for the city or government? What about in a healthcare field? Those job forces are continually expanding and you can always count on people needing medical treatment and the government. I worked for the federal government and moved around a lot. Each city I lived in provided me with another job within about a month. Also, you don't have to have medical experience to work in the healthcare field. There are lots of jobs at hospitals and clinics.

I'm not sure where you're looking for work. You may have to try a different avenue...what about a school district or come up with a new idea? There was a story about a man who is making a fortune contracting with banks to clean up foreclosed properties. He used to have a staff of 7 but is now up to 80 and they can't keep up with the work. It's not the kind of job that will last forever, but I'll bet if you're willing to get your hands dirty, you can gather up some friends and make a living until you find something more fitting to your qualifications.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 PM

795 posts, read 2,403,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Have you thought about working for the city or government? What about in a healthcare field? Those job forces are continually expanding and you can always count on people needing medical treatment and the government. I worked for the federal government and moved around a lot. Each city I lived in provided me with another job within about a month. Also, you don't have to have medical experience to work in the healthcare field. There are lots of jobs at hospitals and clinics.

I'm not sure where you're looking for work. You may have to try a different avenue...what about a school district or come up with a new idea? There was a story about a man who is making a fortune contracting with banks to clean up foreclosed properties. He used to have a staff of 7 but is now up to 80 and they can't keep up with the work. It's not the kind of job that will last forever, but I'll bet if you're willing to get your hands dirty, you can gather up some friends and make a living until you find something more fitting to your qualifications.
Thank you for the ideas

I came here also because my studies is in public policy and saw that the Denver metro had more federal workers outside of D.C. However, the application process for a federal job is long and tedious - I am waiting for several positions to process. I often scan the municipal jobs section but most of their jobs seem IT oriented right now. The problem for me is I have a lot of education and very little job experience - there just does not seem to be entry level government jobs in this current economy. At this point I'd be happy working at walmart - yes an honors graduate student making minimum wage I took a gamble moving to a city where I didnt know a sole. I guess somehow I was emotionally invested in the city of Denver and its nearby rockies. I remember my psychology professor once saying "the studies suggest 70% of all jobs people get is through someone they know". Perhaps I should join a group and network? Its tough enuff applying to work that I was qualified for in highschool let alone stand in a soup line. I am determined to make it work here in Denver - or at least die trying

Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Thank you for the ideas

I came here also because my studies is in public policy and saw that the Denver metro had more federal workers outside of D.C. However, the application process for a federal job is long and tedious - I am waiting for several positions to process. I often scan the municipal jobs section but most of their jobs seem IT oriented right now. The problem for me is I have a lot of education and very little job experience - there just does not seem to be entry level government jobs in this current economy. At this point I'd be happy working at walmart - yes an honors graduate student making minimum wage I took a gamble moving to a city where I didnt know a sole. I guess somehow I was emotionally invested in the city of Denver and its nearby rockies. I remember my psychology professor once saying "the studies suggest 70% of all jobs people get is through someone they know". Perhaps I should join a group and network? Its tough enuff applying to work that I was qualified for in highschool let alone stand in a soup line. I am determined to make it work here in Denver - or at least die trying
You've got the right attitude. The sad part of the story is that there is a lot of uncertainty in the commerce section right now and they are not eager to hire in large numbers because they may not have a profitable quarter. I don't think that's going to change much anywhere in the country. If you want to live in Denver, then stay here and just keep pushing. I'm not sure where you've been looking for jobs at the government level. You're right, the pay is lower than you could make on the outside, but the advantage of civil service is that the jobs are fairly secure and they have a good retirement plan.

Take a look at usajobs.com and also look at working for the VA. There is a pretty large population of retired veterans here in Colorado (mostly down in C Springs, but they still are up here as well) and the facilities are bursting. I know a lot of people who got their foot in the door through the VA and moved into the system. Once you're in, you get a form that says you get hiring preference and from there, it's fairly easy to get a job. Who knows? Maybe you'll enjoy working at the VA and stay for the long haul.

My sister-in-law works in human resources for a retail company. She said specifically that they don't hire those with higher educations because most of them are only using the job temporarily and they'd rather invest in someone who is planning on staying. It's a double-edged sword for you. I wouldn't start working at a place like WalMart. There IS a company out there looking for someone like you, but you are going to have to work hard to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver