Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job hunting out of town: experience transferred, local address, private mailboxes, phone interviews

Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,568 times

Advertisements

I'm becoming discouraged about our possibilities of moving to the Denver area. Many of you already know our circumstances, so I'll try not to bore you. As a teacher, I requested information from the Colorado Department of Education. Apparently I need to reside in Colorado before applying for a job. I also need to pass a test, which is to be administered in Colorado. My husband is in tech support, and is having trouble finding anything that doesn't require the applicant to be a local. Other major factor is that we know we'll both be taking a huge pay cut, which at first didn't seem like a deal-breaker, due to the fact that the cost of living is slightly less than where we are now. However, I have over 15 years' teaching experience and most districts will only transfer over 5-7 years' experience. My husband is about 10 years away from retirement (age 58), and we assume his age alone puts him at a very real disadvantage for searching for something new. We have young children as well as one in college, so moving out there before the jobs would be risky, although financially we could probably do this for a few months. But then again, what if in six month's time we still have nothing? Sorry to ramble or be pessimistic--I'm trying to look at this realistically and am wondering if we need to stop dreaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,323 times
Hang in there Rebagirl. I don't know about your indivdual circumstance, but what about teaching at a private school? Would you be subject to the same state regulations? How about calling individual school districts? Remember, there's beaurocracy everywhere.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 AM

257 posts, read 946,136 times
Do you have a family friend or relative in the area, I don't recall. I ask because I would recommend having a Denver address on your resume. I think out-of-towners are overlooked alot because of companies not wanting to pay relocation costs. If you have noone, there are always private mailboxes for hire as well.

Right now I am looking for an attorney job in Texas and have put the address of a relative on my resume, because that is where I would stay at first if I get the job anyway.

I have gotten two calls, and since it was jobs I wasn't that interested in, I requested an initial phone interview. If those go well, I will fly down for the second interview.

Another possibility, something my husband and I have done, is one of you could come to Denver first and get a job, while the other is at home with an income still coming in. At least your situation wouldn't be so desperate that way.

I also would go to each school district individually for information. They all seem to do their own thing. Contacting private schools was also a fantastic idea.

There was a big article in yesterday's paper about how the population of Douglas County (Highlands Ranch, Parker, Littleton) has exploded and will continue to grow rapidly. All that population influx is going to mean a need for more schools and more teachers. Good news for you.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:10 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,568 times
Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I guess I was having a bit of a pity party. Anyway, I appreciate your help, and will keep working on the goal of living in Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver