Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,141,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with the above post, especially the part about renting. I would add, take lots of "Sunday drives". Get to know the metro area. Get a feel for driving distances from place to place.
In addition to Sunday drives, take a drive through the area an hour or so after schools let out. That will tell you a lot about who your kids' friends may be. Hanging out on the street corners smoking or actually still at school participating in after school activities? Heading for after-school jobs or spraying graffiti on the lamposts? Kids with nothing to do are the ones who likely enjoy terrorizing their neighborhoods. Find a school that offers kids something to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM

156 posts, read 716,195 times
Hi Ebeth,

We were in a very similar situation just a few months ago. My husband started a new job (in downtown Denver) in mid-November, and I stayed behind in Texas with the kids (we have a 10th grader and a 7th grader) until the semester ended in mid-January. We are in Denver now (still living in temporary housing in Highlands Ranch, but we close on the home we bought at the end of this month).

I would definitely live somewhere besides Commerce City. It smells in that area...seriously! There is some sort of plant over there that is really smelly, lol.

You asked about the best school district....IMHO, that would be Cherry Creek schools. When we moved here, we originally considered Douglas County Schools because we wanted to live in Highlands Ranch. We didn't find a home in HR that we liked, so we extended our search to Parker. There was more there in our price range (up to $350K). BUT, after having our kids in Douglas County schools for just a week, we knew we didn't want to live in this school district. I had read many good things about Douglas County Schools, but both the middle school my son attends and the high school my daughter attends have not been impressive to us at all. So, we switched our search to neighborhoods we could afford in the Cherry Creek school district boundary. You can search this forum and find many glowing reviews of Cherry Creek schools. They are, in many folks opinion, the best district in the state. They have great test scores, etc. I spoke with staff members there, and asked other parents, and found that they do indeed seem to be a very good school district. So, we found a house in Cherry Creek schools (in Centennial) and will close at the end of this month (although my kids will finish out the year at their current school in Douglas County).

The majority of the areas within the Cherry Creek school district are out of your price range, but there are some very nice areas of Southern Aurora and Centennial that lie within the CC school district that have homes for sale close to your price range.

I hope that helps a bit.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,971 times
Broomfield is a great school distrrict on the north end of town. Theres still a lot of good foreclosure deals out there so its a great time to buy if you are in a position to do so.
Gil

Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,141,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1962 View Post
Hi Ebeth,

The majority of the areas within the Cherry Creek school district are out of your price range, but there are some very nice areas of Southern Aurora and Centennial that lie within the CC school district that have homes for sale close to your price range.

I hope that helps a bit.
Just to help you out, you should take a look at the Cherry Creek School District boundary map. At the PTO Meeting last week, the principal mentioned that it is one of the biggest in the state. It makes it difficult to call delayed snow hours since it could be snowing heavily in one part of the district and not at all in another. There is a large area to cover and surely there will be a house and or area to look for homes in your price range. Sheridan and I live in Centennial/SE Aurora, but that would be way too much of a commute for your husband.

Many homes will be out of your price range but if you rent for a year (in order not to get stuck in a home that will be hard to sell if you don't like the area), things are only going to get better for you. Take some time and save up some money to make a larger downpayment. Despite the realtors trying to find silver linings everywhere, the reality is that foreclosures are up, people are going to need to sell their homes due to job losses and overextensions and the market will continue to cool off. Who knows when the housing market will hit rock bottom, but there is no way in the world that the market is going to make some sort of huge rebound in a year that will make it impossible to afford a home. You don't need to be in a hurry...people are still going to be trying to even QUALIFY for a home with the higher standards and those of us with good credit are staying put.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilv View Post
Broomfield is a great school distrrict on the north end of town. Theres still a lot of good foreclosure deals out there so its a great time to buy if you are in a position to do so.
Gil
Broomfield is in at least 5 different school districts, depending on where you live. Adams 12, Boulder Valley, Jefferson Co., Brighton, and I think St. Vrain. The majority of the people live in BVSD and Adams 12.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 PM

43 posts, read 114,026 times
I live in Commerce City/Henderson, work downtown and my kids go to Catholic school in Arvada. I've done some research in the area and would be happy to share what I know-- please PM me if interested.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,665 times
I'll ditto Katiana-I'm a Realtor and my wife and I are moving to Denver metro this summer. I also recommend finding an agent that you have a lot in common with. He or she can give you some additional insight- Even if you aren't buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver