U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,407,427 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know people that are gay or participated in the gay community ? Would you say it is professional and good group of people or is it rather seedy and shady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,518,115 times
Watch Denver's own Nina Flowers become a finalist on RuPaul's Drag Race, which is on in righ now on LoGo. Our good old neighbors to the south and a few in the burbs only made the community stronger with their introduction of Amendment 2 back in 1992. It was legislation that would allow employers to fire and deny employee rights based on sexual preference. It also allowed refusal of public access to governmental facilities - hospitals/schools/libraries because someone was gay. Horrid element of our past and caused us to have the "Coloradon't" or 'Boycott Colorado" label placed on our state when Colorado voter approved of the amendment. Of course California wants the support of the world when this type of hatred recently showed it's ugly head for them. But I digress, the amendment was overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1996 but we have not entirely shaken the stigma of what those in the Springs and Arvada did. But Ted Haggard bought much clarity as to the roots of their hatred.

The amendments passage caused folks here to say hey, why should a group in our community actually be fired or denied services just for being themselves. Why do they march in a big parade once a year when straight people don't. What the religious right were trying to achive backfired and Denver's gay scene thrives with it's businesses, politics and acceptance. Close to 30 bars/nightclubs, eight gay courses in the state and one youth chourse based in Highlands Ranch, the Denver Gay Men's chourse is one of the oldest in the country, One of the largest Pride celebrations in the country (easily puts to shame cities twice our size) - two day event (one day just for kids and families), Metropolitan Community Church of the Rockies in Capitol Hill is an enormous congregations and exclusively gay church, Typical fanchised joints J.R.s, Mary's Hamburger, Eagle but gems close to 30 years old like the Compound or Tracks, domestic partnership benifits for city employees and on future ballots for state, Jared Polis is the first openly gay US representative from Colorado.

Capitol Hill is the epicenter and www.outfrontcolorado.com is the local news. Bally's gym is called Sally, King Soopers is called Queen Soopers, and Cheeseman Park in the summer is refered to as Cheeseman Beach.

Every group has it's seedy or shady side but there are actual groups called the Denver Gay Professional Mens group and sites set up for networking like Quark creator Tim Gill's connexion, or the Denver Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce Denver Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce

Strongly unified because of someone else's hate, funny how that worked out!

Last edited by DenverAztec; 03-16-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM

12,177 posts, read 21,013,009 times
I am gay in Colorado and I love it here!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,631,760 times
I'm gay and I live in Denver. It's great.

Would you say it is professional and good group of people or is it rather seedy and shady?

I guess I don't understand the question. As with any larger city, you can pretty much find any scene that you want. There are plenty of professional guys and shady and seedy guys. Depends on what you want and what you're looking for.

As far as any organized gay/activist groups, it's not really my thing, so I can't comment.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,274,499 times
RuPaul was here filming last night - my partner worked security for the event. If RuPaul films a drag show in your city, it must be gay friendly!

I can't believe the 'Pound is still there. That was my hangout back in '94 - '96, along with Paradise Garage, The Foxhole, and the Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Watch Denver's own Nina Flowers become a finalist on RuPaul's Drag Race, which is on in righ now on LoGo. Our good old neighbors to the south and a few in the burbs only made the community stronger with their introduction of Amendment 2 back in 1992. It was legislation that would allow employers to fire and deny employee rights based on sexual preference. It also allowed refusal of public access to governmental facilities - hospitals/schools/libraries because someone was gay. Horrid element of our past and caused us to have the "Coloradon't" or 'Boycott Colorado" label placed on our state when Colorado voter approved of the amendment. Of course California wants the support of the world when this type of hatred recently showed it's ugly head for them. But I digress, the amendment was overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1996 but we have not entirely shaken the stigma of what those in the Springs and Arvada did. But Ted Haggard bought much clarity as to the roots of their hatred.

The amendments passage caused folks here to say hey, why should a group in our community actually be fired or denied services just for being themselves. Why do they march in a big parade once a year when straight people don't. What the religious right were trying to achive backfired and Denver's gay scene thrives with it's businesses, politics and acceptance. Close to 30 bars/nightclubs, eight gay courses in the state and one youth chourse based in Highlands Ranch, the Denver Gay Men's chourse is one of the oldest in the country, One of the largest Pride celebrations in the country (easily puts to shame cities twice our size) - two day event (one day just for kids and families), Metropolitan Community Church of the Rockies in Capitol Hill is an enormous congregations and exclusively gay church, Typical fanchised joints J.R.s, Mary's Hamburger, Eagle but gems close to 30 years old like the Compound or Tracks, domestic partnership benifits for city employees and on future ballots for state, Jared Polis is the first openly gay US representative from Colorado.

Capitol Hill is the epicenter and www.outfrontcolorado.com is the local news. Bally's gym is called Sally, King Soopers is called Queen Soopers, and Cheeseman Park in the summer is refered to as Cheeseman Beach.

Every group has it's seedy or shady side but there are actual groups called the Denver Gay Professional Mens group and sites set up for networking like Quark creator Tim Gill's connexion, or the Denver Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce Denver Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce

Strongly unified because of someone else's hate, funny how that worked out!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,735,035 times
ooooh the Metro. I'm not gay but used to go there all the time. Cheap drinks, good music, male dancers!! Paradise Garage, was that over the viaduct on 15th, across from Skyline?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,738,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Does anybody know people that are gay or participated in the gay community ? Would you say it is professional and good group of people or is it rather seedy and shady?
I'm gay. I've found the gay community here to be visible and widely accepted. I've found that the majority of the community is a good group of people. Plenty of professionals. You can find shady people anywhere, but I try not to associate with those types.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,518,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
RuPaul was here filming last night - my partner worked security for the event. If RuPaul films a drag show in your city, it must be gay friendly!

I can't believe the 'Pound is still there. That was my hangout back in '94 - '96, along with Paradise Garage, The Foxhole, and the Metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
ooooh the Metro. I'm not gay but used to go there all the time. Cheap drinks, good music, male dancers!! Paradise Garage, was that over the viaduct on 15th, across from Skyline?
The Pound is not only still just there but it bought the two businesses next to it and created a huge dance floor and more bathrooms. The Metro is now Bender's and still the same set up be different crowd. The Foxhole was still there as of last summer and did some occassional events, open to anyone. It is in an odd space so not many developers have jumpped at the property like they did with the one where Paradise Garage and the Skyline sat. That is all now the Metro Apartments. Before the name Paradise Garage, it was actually called Tracks, hence the rebirth of the mega club 'tracks' in the east end of the BallPark wearhouse district.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,274,499 times
Quote:
The Pound is not only still just there but it bought the two businesses next to it and created a huge dance floor and more bathrooms. The Metro is now Bender's and still the same set up be different crowd. The Foxhole was still there as of last summer and did some occassional events, open to anyone. It is in an odd space so not many developers have jumpped at the property like they did with the one where Paradise Garage and the Skyline sat. That is all now the Metro Apartments. Before the name Paradise Garage, it was actually called Tracks, hence the rebirth of the mega club 'tracks' in the east end of the BallPark wearhouse district.
I'm sooo outa the loop! Now I go to Baby Power instead of clubs.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,735,035 times
ok, Tracks, I remember now. I was hoping business would fill in over there and those areas would be more jumping.

I've been to Bender's, but didn't see the same set up? I remember half the club being this huge dance floor and the other side, the bar, being sort of like it is now. The people I found to be completely different than the Metro.

Speaking of gay, is the Detour still around? They had the best french dips.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver