U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,513 times
Default Where to live in downtown Denver?

Hello! I am moving to the Denver area, and I will be working in the Whittier neighborhood. I want to live somewhere that I can commute quickly and easily to work, but I also want to live with people my age (23-28) and in a safe area. I can afford 600-800 in rent, and I would love an area with a lot of interesting activities and within walking distance of most places I'd need to go. Any ideas??
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 01:29 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,907,788 times
http://www.denvergov.com/Portals/144/documents/DENVER_NEIGH_Map.pdf (broken link)

City Park West, North Cap Hill (sometimes referred to as Uptown). Cheeseman fits the bill too, as does Capitol Hill

Old 03-29-2009, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 23,957 times
First of all, the Whittier neighborhood isn't particularly safe. It has a long history of gangbanging, but at least there are no more Black Panther standoffs with police. Be it known that there is no such thing as a "safe area" in the inner city of Denver, but there are places such as the southern half of Capitol Hill/Cheesman where your encounters with the foul will be lesser than if you lived closer in to Colfax. You'll see drug dealers on the sidewalks now and again, but their numbers aren't nearly as great as if you lived along, say, 14th. The farther south of Colfax you go, the fewer weirdos you will encounter. I'd suggest not living north of 11th. North Capitol Hill has improved, but its still plagued with car thefts and drugs. City Park West isn't a whole lot better, although gang activity there has certainly lessened compared to what it was 20 years ago. City Park West and North Capitol Hill have spillover from Colfax and also the Crip areas immediately to the north. These areas represent what I call the "buffer zone" which is the area between the nicer area to the south and the gang area to the north. South of 11th is better and will fit your housing budget.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 AM

49 posts, read 102,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfastmeat View Post
First of all, the Whittier neighborhood isn't particularly safe. It has a long history of gangbanging, but at least there are no more Black Panther standoffs with police. Be it known that there is no such thing as a "safe area" in the inner city of Denver, but there are places such as the southern half of Capitol Hill/Cheesman where your encounters with the foul will be lesser than if you lived closer in to Colfax. You'll see drug dealers on the sidewalks now and again, but their numbers aren't nearly as great as if you lived along, say, 14th. The farther south of Colfax you go, the fewer weirdos you will encounter. I'd suggest not living north of 11th. North Capitol Hill has improved, but its still plagued with car thefts and drugs. City Park West isn't a whole lot better, although gang activity there has certainly lessened compared to what it was 20 years ago. City Park West and North Capitol Hill have spillover from Colfax and also the Crip areas immediately to the north. These areas represent what I call the "buffer zone" which is the area between the nicer area to the south and the gang area to the north. South of 11th is better and will fit your housing budget.
I live on 14th and Ogden, what are you talking about? It's perfectly fine here. Crip areas to the north? I feel more unsafe in Lodo on a weekend night with the liquored up frat boys than i do with "the foul" in north cap hill.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,907,788 times
He has no idea what he is talking about. My guess is that he is a realtor who is trying to sell houses that have halved in value out past E-470.

To be clear. There is no gang problem, there is no car theft problem, there are no drug dealers on the street (at least not sticking out as such) and there are *plenty* of safe areas in the city core to live -- in fact the city as a whole is a fantastic and safe place to live.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM

49 posts, read 102,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
He has no idea what he is talking about. My guess is that he is a realtor who is trying to sell houses that have halved in value out past E-470.

To be clear. There is no gang problem, there is no car theft problem, there are no drug dealers on the street (at least not sticking out as such) and there are *plenty* of safe areas in the city core to live -- in fact the city as a whole is a fantastic and safe place to live.
Yup, i agree completely Steve. I enjoy the colorful characters on Colfax, and i've never had a problem with any of them. In fact i've befriended a few of them.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,084,703 times
I think you'll be safe. Of course, you might be living amongst 22 and 29 year olds so, it might not be your cup of tea!!JK

Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM

3,940 posts, read 9,544,767 times
How easy is it to live in CapHill/Highland/Gov's/Cherry Creek without a car? Do you miss it in the winter? I want to live in Denver but having a car would REALLY cut into the budget.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 AM

795 posts, read 1,549,065 times
I live in north cap hill and I never seen shady characters walking around. I often take walks in the middle of the night too. Uptown has been getting a lot of loft infill and is turning into a yuppie hood around 18th and 19th. Isn't the burbs more crime ridden these days?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM

150 posts, read 447,775 times
I know, I know...Young couples walking their golden retrievers to Dazbog in Cap Hill. They might as well be gang bangers selling crack!

I live in Capitol Hill and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver